Where you getting fleeced this weekend? (tourny action)

tcgobucks

There is a baseball club in Cincy that has the USSSA franchise in Cincy that hosts tournaments all summer long for all ages. The high school age tournaments are very expensive, the hotel situation is fairly rigorously enforced and fees are very pricey (like 30.00 a weekend). The tournaments are very well managed and very competitive. The games are played on good college fields and some great high school fields. Communication is good and except on Sunday, one does not play more than two games a day. I thought that this club did this so that the players on the oldest two teams did not have to pay fees. But I was told that this was not the case anymore. I guess you could say that you pay a lot but you do get a lot of value for you money.
Haha....funny stuff here. Their tournaments are ridiculous. They use every field in a 70+ mile radius....so if it rains, even enough to rain out just a few fields, tough luck, those games are gone....don't even attempt to reschedule because there are no fields. You mention no more than 2 games in one day....lol. 37 miles from the hotel to the field for an 8am game....then 65 miles to the next field for a 3pm game....then 35 miles back to the hotel. Unbelievably ridiculous. We played in their tourneys thru 13U, then never again, nothing but a huge money grab. Would never recommend playing there.

Last edited:

thavoice

Haha....funny stuff here. Their tournaments are ridiculous. They use every field in a 80+ mile radius....so if it rains, even enough to rain out just a few fields, tough luck, those games are gone....don't even attempt to reschedule because there are no fields. You mention no more than 2 games in one day....lol. 37 miles from the hotel to the field for an 8am game....then 65 miles to the next field for a 3pm game....then 35 miles back to the hotel. They use fields as far away as St Henry. That's 98 miles ONE WAY....from the north side of town. Unbelievably ridiculous. We played in their tourneys thru 13U, then never again, nothing but a huge money grab. Would never recommend playing there.
St Henry as in....mercer county?

The traveling like you state seems insane, hell is sucks enough at Berliner if you have to go to one end of the park to the other.

tcgobucks

St Henry as in....mercer county?

The traveling like you state seems insane, hell is sucks enough at Berliner if you have to go to one end of the park to the other.
I apologize....I'll delete that part of my comment. I just looked and it looks like it's St Henry in Erlanger, KY

thavoice

I apologize....I'll delete that part of my comment. I just looked and it looks like it's St Henry in Erlanger, KY
That is what I thought! Mercer County doesn't tend to mess around with any of those sort of tournaments. They have their own pony league tournament and maybe some local little league ones as well.

I know at Berliner they have Nations and USSSA tournaments and quite honest, as a fan it doesn't seem to be any difference nor does anyone really notice or care.

BASESWIMPARENT

Dang, I just noticed that the Flames tourneys this year are not USSSA sanctioned. Did not even notice. Must not really be important. Maybe they will perfect game sanctioned next year.

SMARTY22

Dang, I just noticed that the Flames tourneys this year are not USSSA sanctioned. Did not even notice. Must not really be important. Maybe they will perfect game sanctioned next year.
Flames Tournaments are what sanction now? Do they still give away any berths for some of the Tournaments they Host?

BASESWIMPARENT

Don't know what sanction. They just don't advertise the USSSA like they have in the past. I think that if they need a team to fill out a hole in a pool, they may ask a local to fill in. Next week's tourney (Sabercat Wood Bat) looks full to me.

BobcatQB

They aren't USSSA sanctioned because they are clowns and about ran USSSA into the ground in OH last few years. Dennis got smart and broke ties w/ them and moved the darn state tourney back to Berliner where it should have been all along. Driving all over Cincinnati to play on crappy fields 50 miles from the hotel after driving clear across the state just to get to the tourney..ridiculous.

BASESWIMPARENT

No offense Bobcat but the fields are awesome and very rarely get rained out because most are on turf. The competition is still very keen and draws teams from all over the Midwest. Still expensive but the tourneys seem to be pretty full every weekend. Berliner is nice but in no way compares to UC, Miami, NKU, Wright State or any number of beautiful high school fields here in SWO and Northern Kentucky. I don't think the sanctioning body really matters. Now if you are talking Perfect Game or even some of the older players Past-Time Tourneys, those sanctioning bodies have a lot of cache' around the country. Now the Flames tourney director and son making six figures from these tourneys (as told to me by a former Flames parent) makes me raise my eyebrows, but the tourneys are top notch in my opinion.

Last edited:

thavoice

We played in one PG tournament this year and the pitching rules were ridiculously stupid.

So you are saying that the past directors of the U$$$A made 6 figures on those things?

THat makes me sick.

BASESWIMPARENT

Not directors of USSSA. Directors of those tourneys. Those Flames tourneys were USSSA sanctioned but not anymore. Those tourneys are still going on. Still full and still very popular. So.... THE PG tourneys follow the NFHS (national high school) pitch count rules which were "suggested" by professional baseball. They rigorously enforce them and I for one am glad they do. We just played in a tourney that was not a PG event where a team had a pitcher throw 100 pitches one day and 2 days later throw another 70 pitches. Another one of their pitchers threw 3 out of 4 days.

Haha....funny stuff here. Their tournaments are ridiculous. They use every field in a 70+ mile radius....so if it rains, even enough to rain out just a few fields, tough luck, those games are gone....don't even attempt to reschedule because there are no fields. You mention no more than 2 games in one day....lol. 37 miles from the hotel to the field for an 8am game....then 65 miles to the next field for a 3pm game....then 35 miles back to the hotel. Unbelievably ridiculous. We played in their tourneys thru 13U, then never again, nothing but a huge money grab. Would never recommend playing there.
This was also our experience

thavoice

Not directors of USSSA. Directors of those tourneys. Those Flames tourneys were USSSA sanctioned but not anymore. Those tourneys are still going on. Still full and still very popular. So.... THE PG tourneys follow the NFHS (national high school) pitch count rules which were "suggested" by professional baseball. They rigorously enforce them and I for one am glad they do. We just played in a tourney that was not a PG event where a team had a pitcher throw 100 pitches one day and 2 days later throw another 70 pitches. Another one of their pitchers threw 3 out of 4 days.
So you are saying the directors of those tournaments are making bank? I knew something was fishy.

I appreciate the PG pitch count rules to a point, especially when the boy gets pitched so often (100 plus in a game, then 50 in the same tourney, or 122 on a thurs and then 110 on a sunday….) but believe it was like 22 pitches and you had to rest the next day. Jus though the numbers were really restrictive.

micketty

Mr. Flame and at least one of his boys do quite well running these tourneys. To their credit, they are well run. The reason for the long trips between games is that they have alienated most of the HS programs/coaching staffs in their area so consequently they continue to move in each direction to find fields to play on. Just the cost of doing business in their eyes.
I'm actually amazed at the number of baseball people that hold them and their program in such high regard. Their TOC continues to be a top level event for the most part.

BobcatQB

No offense Bobcat but the fields are awesome and very rarely get rained out because most are on turf. The competition is still very keen and draws teams from all over the Midwest. Still expensive but the tourneys seem to be pretty full every weekend. Berliner is nice but in no way compares to UC, Miami, NKU, Wright State or any number of beautiful high school fields here in SWO and Northern Kentucky. I don't think the sanctioning body really matters. Now if you are talking Perfect Game or even some of the older players Past-Time Tourneys, those sanctioning bodies have a lot of cache' around the country. Now the Flames tourney director and son making six figures from these tourneys (as told to me by a former Flames parent) makes me raise my eyebrows, but the tourneys are top notch in my opinion.
Cincy is a great baseball town, everyone knows that..and there are certainly nice fields in the area. I was referring to my personal experiences that obviously didn't include any of the places you mentioned, including beautiful high school fields. Berliner has 32 turf fields, plenty of parking and is located in downtown Columbus. Not well run tournaments, playing on less than desirable fields that are located way too far from tournament hotels..that was my experience with that organization.