When will AAU be back in Ohio?

Can be a tough part about the AAU scene. It is different than OHSAA basketball but some refs are not ready for it. Right or wrong it's a different game with different needs.
The irony is that if you polled college coaches, they want the games officiated like real college games - including sportsmanship - so they can see the true characters and skills of the players they are recruiting and how they will translate to the NCAA level.

That's the irony of these events pandering so much to that crowd and the handcuffing they do to the officials that work the events. The organizers care about one thing and one thing only - getting their paying customers to come back.

Some sort of AAU Tournament in Cincinnati next weekend 28th,29th and 30th. Most Tournament Directors have little to no backbone. Some assigners also already use “street ball refs”, guys that they are friends with or used to Ref with but are no longer certified. Some Officials also just show up for the $$, some really enjoy the game and want to give an honest effort to improve.

The irony is that if you polled college coaches, they want the games officiated like real college games - including sportsmanship - so they can see the true characters and skills of the players they are recruiting and how they will translate to the NCAA level.

That's the irony of these events pandering so much to that crowd and the handcuffing they do to the officials that work the events. The organizers care about one thing and one thing only - getting their paying customers to come back.
The irony is I have talked to college coaches and the officiating at the contest is virtually irrelevant to them as they typically are watching the kids athletic ability and skill set to know if it is something they can work with. I have never heard a college coach on a scouting event mention the officials. The coaches love these events because their are usually less restrictions on play.

The irony is I have talked to college coaches and the officiating at the contest is virtually irrelevant to them as they typically are watching the kids athletic ability and skill set to know if it is something they can work with. I have never heard a college coach on a scouting event mention the officials. The coaches love these events because their are usually less restrictions on play.

When they get done talking to you, they call us to ask how the kid acts when the game is officiated properly. ;)

Talked to dozens of those guys over the years.

Just like many of them watch the parents, many of them want to know how the players interact with officials. Some of the names would surprise you because of how they interact with officials.

It might not matter to you as a tournament director but it certainly matters to almost all the coaches I've talked to as someone who officiates at the college level.

If a player is a on the court or doesn't know how to play defense without his hands that is absolutely something coaches care about. At the Division 1 level particularly you rarely see players act the fool during games.

Half the players in the average AAU game would foul out if the game was officiated like a real NCAA game. And then we act surprised that so many AAU standouts don't translate to the next level.

Some sort of AAU Tournament in Cincinnati next weekend 28th,29th and 30th. Most Tournament Directors have little to no backbone. Some assigners also already use “street ball refs”, guys that they are friends with or used to Ref with but are no longer certified. Some Officials also just show up for the $$, some really enjoy the game and want to give an honest effort to improve.
Very familiar with a guy (who shall remain nameless) in Cincinnati who assigns a lot of that street ball - I wouldn't touch his games with a 10-foot pole.

At the end of the day, they don't need me. They'd rather have refs who will kiss a** and bend over backwards to not "rock the boat" even if the game suffers - and there are more than enough of those refs to go around. ;)

Last edited:
It might not matter to you as a tournament director but it certainly matters to almost all the coaches I've talked to as someone who officiates at the college level.

If a player is a on the court or doesn't know how to play defense without his hands that is absolutely something coaches care about. At the Division 1 level particularly you rarely see players act the fool during games.

Half the players in the average AAU game would foul out if the game was officiated like a real NCAA game. And then we act surprised that so many AAU standouts don't translate to the next level.
It definitely doesn't matter to me but agree and understand what college coaches are looking for but I have never heard a college coach say they talked to any high school officials to get a possible recruit's evaluation.

It definitely doesn't matter to me but agree and understand what college coaches are looking for but I have never heard a college coach say they talked to any high school officials to get a possible recruit's evaluation.
Fair.

I don't recall being asked "How was this guy when you called his games?" by a college coach. My point was that when I have talked to college coaches about their recruiting process, that aspect (i.e. how a player acts on the court) is something they do care about, more often than not.

AS12 has been around the block longer than I have and has more relationships, so it would not surprise me if he has indeed been asked directly about certain players he's officiated.

Very familiar with a guy (who shall remain nameless) in Cincinnati who assigns a lot of that street ball - I wouldn't touch his games with a 10-foot pole.

At the end of the day, they don't need me. They'd rather have refs who will kiss a** and bend over backwards to not "rock the boat" even if the game suffers - and there are more than enough of those refs to go around. ;)

That guy's reputation precedes him. Anyone who officiates his stuff that he assigns deserves what's coming to them. (that includes the grief involved at times in getting paid)

Spirit454....

I have no reason to make anything up regarding this matter. I have fielded calls from major D1 coaches/staff all the way down to NAIA coaches. They don't mention one word about how the game is called, but they do ask how a kid reacts to style of play that's being permitted and how they interact with authority.

Many times it's related to one of those players that stood out that day. (were looking at someone else and that one kid jumped off the page at them)

I know who you speak of, I also know there is another SW area Assignor that doesn’t really even try to use guys that are certified. It’s been a few yrs but never personally had any trouble getting paid by any local assigner or TD. No need to kiss anyone’s a**, im definitely with you on that.

I know who you speak of, I also know there is another SW area Assignor that doesn’t really even try to use guys that are certified. It’s been a few yrs but never personally had any trouble getting paid by any local assigner or TD. No need to kiss anyone’s a**, im definitely with you on that.

Unfortunately, those guys are everywhere. (and not just for basketball)

There are a few, that do it the right way. Usually those guys are respected officials (either active or retired) that not only know how to handle business on the floor, but off the floor as well.

The sad reality is most of those tournaments are just fine having "uncertified" officials who will just stand there, take all sorts of crap, and only blow the whistle when they have no choice. They'd rather have those guys/gals than officials who actually call a proper game - because the teams paying the money don't want a properly officiated game (nor even know what one is). ;)

Spirit454....

I have no reason to make anything up regarding this matter. I have fielded calls from major D1 coaches/staff all the way down to NAIA coaches. They don't mention one word about how the game is called, but they do ask how a kid reacts to style of play that's being permitted and how they interact with authority.

Many times it's related to one of those players that stood out that day. (were looking at someone else and that one kid jumped off the page at them)
I may be gullible but I assume everyone on this sight is speaking the truth during discussions. I have not reason to doubt you or to make anything up myself. there is a big difference in coaches calling you for feedback and your implied statement that coaches call officials for player information. I myself have some long standing relationships with veteran officials and we talk about players and coaches but I do not talk about players and coaches with every official I come in contact with. Splitting hairs I know but sometimes I read a post on here and just fell it's a little bit of a fabrication.

Really who cares. It makes every papa think they can coach and every jimmy think defense is a bad word. It’s garbage. Waste of my money