When Mark Hall Wrestled in Kentucky (for Ryle)

I watched him at GMVWA that year he made 119 final vs Nick Brascetta from Graham who was either Jr or Sr. at time and I believe already a champ or won title that season. Baby faced 7th grader kept that match to a MD as a baby faced 7th grader... very impressive to see with such a little kid look to him..

States that allow jr high wrestlers to qualify for the high school state tournaments, how does that work? Can the 8th grader wrestle on the high school team the whole season?

Wrestled in SWOWCA as well. I believe there was a match between him and Ward (Moeller). Could be wrong on that match-up though.

Wrestled in SWOWCA as well. I believe there was a match between him and Ward (Moeller). Could be wrong on that match-up though.
09'- 10' season, when Joey was at Goshen and as a returning state placer( 8th), the jr. High phenom, Hall won in the 2nd round by 10- 8 Dec.

Yes -- I remember him at the Bellbrook invitational, which is just a little tiny tournament. Terrific talk of this junior high kid. He had the poise he is known for today even then.

Always wondered, they say he won 6 state titles at Apple Valley but he wrestled in the Ky state tourney as a 7th grader. Is this possible? Just curious. not worried about it too much but wondered how he could wrestle 7x at the high school level? Is Apple Valley a prep school? If so that may be the reason.

Always wondered, they say he won 6 state titles at Apple Valley but he wrestled in the Ky state tourney as a 7th grader. Is this possible? Just curious. not worried about it too much but wondered how he could wrestle 7x at the high school level? Is Apple Valley a prep school? If so that may be the reason.
Well I’ve always been perplexed about that as well. I for the longest time thought I imagined it, because all I hear about is apple valley and never talk of Kentucky.

From what I understand, he wrestled 7th grade in Kentucky. He was held back and wrestled 7th grade again for Apple Valley.

With switching states I guess it wasn’t a problem like it would have been had he stayed in Kentucky and was held back.

From what I understand, he wrestled 7th grade in Kentucky. He was held back and wrestled 7th grade again for Apple Valley.

With switching states I guess it wasn’t a problem like it would have been had he stayed in Kentucky and was held back.
So what you are saying is someone could go to school in Ky then transfer to another state and it doesn't count? I am totally confused to tell you the truth. I just looked up Apple Valley HS and it is in California and only shows grades 9-12.

I
So what you are saying is someone could go to school in Ky then transfer to another state and it doesn't count? I am totally confused to tell you the truth. I just looked up Apple Valley HS and it is in California and only shows grades 9-12.
I thought it was a Minnesota school.

Valley Middle School in Minnesota is a feeder School to Apple Valley HS in Minnesota.
9232915B-0B2A-4564-BD11-5FBA5CEF4419.png

Apple Valley is in Minnesota. Mark is originally from the Davison Michigan area, and was coached by Brent’s older brother Chase, before he passed, as a youth. For his 7th grade year he transferred to Ryle in order to wrestle high school as a middle schooler. After that initial 7th grade year, he transferred to Apple Valley and repeated the 7th grade and was able to wrestle a second high school year as a 7th grader in Minnesota.

The way the rules in OH are (I think), you can repeat a grade level before you get to HS. This is typically monitored by schools individually. So, a lot of the elite kids do that so they are older and more physically mature before they take the mats at the HS level. Both KY and MINN allow Jr H kids to wrestle at the HS level. So, he wrestled for KY as a 7th grader. Then he moved to MINN and repeated 7th grade and wrestled that year and the following year winning titles as a 7th-12th. If he stayed in KY he likely (just guessing) wouldn't have been allowed to wrestle HS for 3 years in JR H.

BTW Mark has an amazing family that dedicated a lot to have Markey trained by the best. I spent many a day at Milan with them and they are truly wonderful people.

Apple Valley is in Minnesota. Mark is originally from the Davison Michigan area, and was coached by Brent’s older brother Chase, before he passed, as a youth. For his 7th grade year he transferred to Ryle in order to wrestle high school as a middle schooler. After that initial 7th grade year, he transferred to Apple Valley and repeated the 7th grade and was able to wrestle a second high school year as a 7th grader in Minnesota.
You beat me to the punch, Divided.

Not to steer the thread in another direction, but the "repeat in JR H" thing has been going on probably since the 1970s, maybe earlier. My memory (may be wrong) is that it became popular in Texas for football players. They wanted to be bigger and stronger when they were seniors so their chances for scholarships would be better. Then it spread across the country and into other sports.

And it is up to the individual schools, at least in Ohio, to monitor it. I was at a HS in Cincinnati back in the late 80s when an 8th grade basketball star wanted to repeat 8th grade as a straight A student. The JR H principal said no. They went to the superintendent and he said no. The kid went on to lead the HS to a state championship, was 1st team All Ohio, and got a full ride to UC and was team captain for the Bearcats for 3 years.

And it is up to the individual schools, at least in Ohio, to monitor it. I was at a HS in Cincinnati when an 8th grade basketball star wanted to repeat 8th grade as a straight A student. The JR H principal said no. They went to the superintendent and he said no. The kid went on to lead the HS to a state championship, was 1st team All Ohio, and got a full ride to UC and was team captain for the Bearcats for 3 years.
Nowadays schools may be reluctant to say no. With easier transfer rules, the player can take his talents to another school.

He wrestled for Ryle in his 1st 7th grade year lost to Marion Bradbury in the finals who now coaches at Lindsey Wilson College. They lived in St. Tim's parking lot in a camper while going to Ryle. They chose Ryle because of the drill partners they had at the time. He was allowed to repeat the 7th grade and not worry about eligibility when he crossed state lines.