What's the meaning

Russian for "yuppie"?

When I first joined, I thought it might be a take on how some forum threads get folks to yapping their mouths.

I thought it might be a take on how some forum threads get folks to yapping their mouths.
I purchased the domain name before deciding what to use it for. I did think that "Yappi" sounded like a good name for where people talk.

The avatar explains where I saw the name "Yappi" first.

This was back when getting .com domains with short words was a popular thing. Watching an episode of X-Files, there was a character that was in two different (very popular) episodes; "The Stupendous Yappi". I typed in the domain search for "Yappi" and saw it was available, so I bought it ($75 back then for a year).

The two episodes were "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" and "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose". Even if you are not an X-Files fan, these were both great episodes.

Also almost bought Labron.com back when he was just starting to get noticed because I misspelled his name. Didn't realize that it could be a very valuable domain name 20 years later (ie LA Bron.com)

I always figured it was because "yap" is a term referring to when people just kind of chat back and forth. And "Yappi" therefore was a play on that word for a website dedicated to chatter.

I always figured it was because "yap" is a term referring to when people just kind of chat back and forth. And "Yappi" therefore was a play on that word for a website dedicated to chatter.
That's a big part of it. Also had a few other domains lying around. Site could have been called RWOL.com but couldn't figure out what it could be an acronym for.