What's the Deal with the GMC?

Some coaching changes, injuries and a lack of depth.

The changes in the youth/club environment may be pushing solid players out of the sport prior to HS.

I saw in another thread that some are saying because of the DA players are not playing HS to concentrate on club and scholarship opportunities.

I saw in another thread that some are saying because of the DA players are not playing HS to concentrate on club and scholarship opportunities.

What? How many DA products are in Cincinnati? Not many, at all.

There's no DA in Cincinnati for HS players. So, they'd have to be traveling to Columbus or Indianapolis (or other).

Some coaching changes, injuries and a lack of depth.

The changes in the youth/club environment may be pushing solid players out of the sport prior to HS.

Generally agreed. I would also add that there's a simple cyclical element to it as well. Moeller, St. X, Anderson, Turpin, and Loveland are all fielding very strong teams this year. Several Dayton teams seem to really be humming as well. There's only so much room at the top in any given area.

Some of the GMC teams will begin to separate themselves from each other now that it's almost exclusively league play for the rest of the season. The records are pretty ugly but if you look at the schedules of the usual suspects (Mason, West, East, Sycamore) you'll notice that they've all played a fair share of the above-mentioned teams.

Just my take. Everything aside, no denying it's a down year.

Yes if Mason played a schedule like Dayton Carroll they would be undefeated.

Moeller playing well. St X tough. Mason has potential to compete with the Dayton powers C-ville and B-Creek. Lakota's just do not have the depth. Have not seen Sycamore play.

What? How many DA products are in Cincinnati? Not many, at all.

There's no DA in Cincinnati for HS players. So, they'd have to be traveling to Columbus or Indianapolis (or other).
Some are making that trek. More to Columbus rather than Indy, but they are going. CUP DA gets many players from Louisville and Lexington and a few further. If parents are willing to put their kid in a club 2+ hours away before high school, no reason to think they won't be even more inclined to do it in high school as soccer aspirations beyond high school become clearer and more attainable. Now how much of an impact that small group is having on high school soccer in SWO is debatable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I always thought that the GMC was one of the stronger conferences in southwest Ohio but collectively it is a stinker this year. Just a one year fluke or is this the future of the conference? Where are all the mighty CUP players?

http://gmcsports.com/confStandings.aspx?satc=89

First off CUP isn't all it is cracked up to be. They don't develop players!!

The GMC is definitely down as a whole this year with the typical powerhouses Mason, West, Sycamore, Fairfield just being average this year. From what I am seeing is this could be the situation for at least the next few years.