what's best

hotshots

Hi was wondering what most of you have done for your kids and what's best? I know it's diff from kid to kid. Youth kid 3 years wrestling. Do you send him to camps take him around to open mats at diff schools enter him in open's over the summer? I'm kinda new to the sport and My son is really into wrestling. He is ok needs lot's of work. He is at the age where if he is willing to do extra work i'm willing to spend the money and time getting him better. I'm just not sure what way to go with him? What is he going to get the most out of?
Any help? Sure would be nice. Thanks for advice on pointing me the right way..

Hi was wondering what most of you have done for your kids and what's best? I know it's diff from kid to kid. Youth kid 3 years wrestling. Do you send him to camps take him around to open mats at diff schools enter him in open's over the summer? I'm kinda new to the sport and My son is really into wrestling. He is ok needs lot's of work. He is at the age where if he is willing to do extra work i'm willing to spend the money and time getting him better. I'm just not sure what way to go with him? What is he going to get the most out of?

Focus on quality technique & be patient. The road to becoming a good wrestler is a marathon, not a sprint. There are some decent community clubs out there, but the majority of the serious wrestling families choose to go the route of a private club. Normally there is better instruction & higher quality partners to train with. Tournaments are fun, but developing in the sport is normally far more centered around quality training.

Focus on quality technique & be patient. The road to becoming a good wrestler is a marathon, not a sprint. There are some decent community clubs out there, but the majority of the serious wrestling families choose to go the route of a private club. Normally there is better instruction & higher quality partners to train with. Tournaments are fun, but developing in the sport is normally far more centered around quality training.

Thanks. What do you mean Private club? Do you have any idea of good clubs in or around Canton AKRON? Thaks for the info.. If you had a 11 year old what would you do starting today with him?

Live in Canton. will drive 75 miles either way maybe twice a week if it's 75 miles away if closer will go 3-4 times a week

Play a fall sport and play a spring sport. Don't over train. I've been coaching for 25 years and I have seen more kids quit in HS than win state championships that wrestle all year round.

Let your kid be just that, a kid. When they hit late JH early HS if they want to commit full time, then go for it. Wrestling is hands down the hardest sport!! Committing to it 100% is a huge mental and physical undertaking that is very hard on our kids. There are exceptions of course, but the majority don't make it to the podium.

I have two sons and they are/were both 3 and 4 sport athletes in HS.

I know that Louisville is having a youth and middle school club to train for OAC state and TofC. I know coach McCauley is going to have fliers at the glenoak qualifier.

spring/summer can be the absolute best mat time he will ever gain if he can handle the grind. what worked for my kid was a fall sport (soccer) and wrestling rest of time. Stick to a club that your son likes the partners and the coaches. A good club will run 3/4 of the year and have mini camps in between, those coaches know whats best for your wrestler!

What I loved about middle school era was Club was 2x per week, we wrestled for a club to which had a full schedule every weekend. so 2x per week and a tourny on saturday, and if he needed a third night I would take him. Very rarely did he train 4-5 nights a week all the way tell high school. We mixed in some core strength lifting on a off night and lots of it off season. and always rested the day after a tourny. Here we are 9 years later healthy, solid, Injury free, strong as he has ever been! Live it, Love it, Carry it on!

There are several good clubs around you north Akron is a quality club. But like everyone else's has said don't over do it. It takes time Minerva has a great summer program that is well structured and has a lot of quality kids

A good camp is a great thing and while it may seem strange actually hitting the same camp twice in one summer seemed to work really well for my kids,
different set of partners usually for the most part and it takes a bit to actually sink in new moves and technique. Jordans camps are great , He shows good stuff and does not put up with any nonsense and they still have a bit of fun ,if they are still ran as they used to and he has kids from all over the country for local kids to go with .

Obviously your ready for your son to train. Is he? Recognizing that and knowing when to push and back off is key. When ready take him to Erik Burnett. Concentrate on technique and training and he will help you from there. Erik offers training for different ages and levels. If he is willing to learn and put the work in you will not be disappointed . Good luck. Pm me if interested.

West shore wrestling at ST EDS is a great club. Guy Sako is one of ohios best coachs ,along with all the other coachs in the room . They are top notch. The youth program is great. They have alot of very good kids in the room to work with of all ages.

Since you are from the Canton. Akron area have you tried Perry out? They offer a club throughout the summer.

Take him to Akron wrestling club (at St V's), North Akron (at Walsh), or Perry. Those are all good clubs with good coaching. Burnett is good but that's a long way from canton. What team are you with currently? There are other good coaches out there that run open mats all year long. Your son can learn a lot by going to those types of practices.

Obviously your ready for your son to train. Is he? Recognizing that and knowing when to push and back off is key. When ready take him to Erik Burnett. Concentrate on technique and training and he will help you from there. Erik offers training for different ages and levels. If he is willing to learn and put the work in you will not be disappointed . Good luck. Pm me if interested.

Spot on!