What will this basketball season look like?

They could push back the tournament dates back by a few weeks. I doubt the State Finals will be in Cbus, that's too much money.

I'm afraid things aren't looking good for basketball season. If teams are going to be quarantined every time a player tests positive or every time that they have played against someone who then tests positive, there aren't going to be enough teams left to play.
Plenty of coaching staffs, school districts and families willing to cover and not report positive tests so hoops can go forward.

They could push back the tournament dates back by a few weeks. I doubt the State Finals will be in Cbus, that's too much money.
Im

Slated for Dayton this year. Will there even be fans allowed this year other than families?

I agree with you. Just wondering why i get one ticket per family to see my son play. Not even enough for both parents. We wear masks and are sitting 6 feet apart and there is a massive amount of empty stadiums seats. Maybe those Notre Dame people are special. It’s ridiculous how the covid rules seem to be applied very unevenly. No haircut for me but ok for Chicago mayor. No football viewing in person for me but no problem for Notre Dame students. I would and have gladly worn a mask and social distanced.
What state is Notre Dame in?

I think after Dewine's presser today, recommending no school between Thanksgiving & New Year's, we're going to see a shortened basketball season (6 weeks like football) restarting after the first of the year with practice & scrimmages first and games on MLK weekend. Tournament starting at same time, with teams allowed to keep playing games after they are eliminated until the end of the state finals.

Just my 2 cents.

I think after Dewine's presser today, recommending no school between Thanksgiving & New Year's

Woah, woah, what? Is this something people have been speculating on or something his administration has been hinting at?

Also, for those who said that Dewine said that school and sporting events have no link to spread, y’all mind giving me an article that I could read?

I think after Dewine's presser today, recommending no school between Thanksgiving & New Year's, we're going to see a shortened basketball season (6 weeks like football) restarting after the first of the year with practice & scrimmages first and games on MLK weekend. Tournament starting at same time, with teams allowed to keep playing games after they are eliminated until the end of the state finals.

Just my 2 cents.

That's not going to happen at all, but way to spread some rumors.

Just my 2 cents.
My wife's schools is looking to do this. They got an email Monday about what is expected if they go remote. They might be off from Thanksgiving till after the first of the year. Sounds like most colleges are doing this as well. They've had a lot of kids quarantined and are short subs every day. She also said teachers in other districts have said the same thing.

Email from Doug Ute to the member schools....

"Thank you for all the work you have done with your students-athletes and coaches this fall during a very challenging time. Because of you and everyone playing their part in following the mandates of the Ohio Health Director’s Sports Order, we are very close to completion of the fall sports seasons that have had few interruptions due to COVID-19, and there is little evidence that spreading of the virus came about during participation in school sports programs.

We are hopeful of continuing to move forward with competition in winter sports. However, with the increased number of COVID-19 cases statewide, combined with the concerns shared by Governor DeWine in his late afternoon briefing on Nov. 11, we believe it is important to obtain feedback from our school administrators on whether we should pause the start of winter sports competition. Therefore, please complete the following brief survey as soon as possible. While this survey is being sent separately to superintendents, principals and athletic administrators, we ask that you collaborate with each other on your answers and even consider obtaining feedback from your board of education or governing board. Once we hear from you, we will share your feedback with the Governor’s Office and the OHSAA Board of Directors and will obviously keep you informed of any changes.

This survey will be available until Tuesday, November 17, 2020."

Sounds like at least 2 bball teams in Stark County are quarantined. That means no practice for at least 2 weeks. I have a feeling there will be more over the next few weeks.

Sounds like at least 2 bball teams in Stark County are quarantined. That means no practice for at least 2 weeks. I have a feeling there will be more over the next few weeks.
My school's boys team is 1 of them. Scrimmaged the other day and sometime between Thurs. afternoon and Fri. morning, learned that a player on the opposing team returned a positive test. Assuming no other issues between now and the end of quarantine, they'll still have a week to practice before their 1st game. At least 1 of the players will be entering his 2nd quarantine of the school year. A check of the seating charts placed him close to a student who tested positive a few weeks ago. So far, that student is the only confirmed positive the school has had as of this post. It helps that it's a small student body inside a building that was designed to accommodate significantly more students than are currently enrolled.

Last edited:
If it isn't safe for kids to go to school then why would you even think of trying to play sports .....
It's not a so much about being safe at school its the numbers of kids being traced once a positive test hits. One positive test can take 30 kids out of school. This can reduce the attendance number below the states allowable amount and even though you are in class it does not count as a day of teaching. If schools go remote, every day counts. The kids quarantined by contact would not longer be removed from activities and sports could still be played. there is an overwhelming total of people in quarantine right now that are not sick and it is all because of the tracing policy. if schools go remote this can be reduced greatly.

It's not a so much about being safe at school its the numbers of kids being traced once a positive test hits. One positive test can take 30 kids out of school. This can reduce the attendance number below the states allowable amount and even though you are in class it does not count as a day of teaching. If schools go remote, every day counts. The kids quarantined by contact would not longer be removed from activities and sports could still be played. there is an overwhelming total of people in quarantine right now that are not sick and it is all because of the tracing policy. if schools go remote this can be reduced greatly.
Our entire district is in the middle of a shutdown (remote) that originally was supposed to end he 23rd, but has now been extended through Thanksgiving break. We are not allowed to practice or have scrimmages.

As a HS basketball coach in SW Ohio---in 2 weeks of practice/scrimmages we have had 3 scheduled scrimmages cancelled of the 5 we had scheduled prior to our 1st game on 11/28 due to quarantine/positive player tests from opponent schools (11/13, 11/17, 11/24)--all 3 of those schools have shut down practices for at least 2 weeks. As coaches it is only possible to plan for one day at a time, because a call may be coming the next day that things are stopping for 2 weeks or more for your opponent. This is affecting teams in Clermont, Warren, Hamilton, Brown counties--so it's quite spread out. If there is a season it may have to be by shortening the season as football did and playing just league games and then into the tournament---2 games a week for 6-7 weeks could be done beginning in January. None of us know what will bring on Monday--be flexible is the best strategy right now.

Per MHSAA Twitter Michigan has suspended fall tournaments and Winter sports effective immediately.

Screenshot_20201115-193859.png

Our entire district is in the middle of a shutdown (remote) that originally was supposed to end he 23rd, but has now been extended through Thanksgiving break. We are not allowed to practice or have scrimmages.
Many schools have been or gone into remote learning. My point was the contact tracking is out of control. How can a school claim they are keeping kids at a social distance and following the mask requirements when they send 30 kids home with a single positive test. That is admittance that 31 kids were not following the guidelines.