What will this basketball season look like?

If numbers continue to rise, non isolated teams will likely find exposure to be too common to successfully have any continuity in their program with all the required quarantines.

Also did Moeller require such a move or did the coaches and kids want it and Moeller allowed it to happen? I would be against a school requiring that athletes must stay out of school. If it was the teams choice go for it.
You must not be familiar with Moeller . . . there are no "Team" choices. Kids have zero say in anything that goes on. Just shut-up and do what you are told. That is why they are successful.

You must not be familiar with Moeller . . . there are no "Team" choices. Kids have zero say in anything that goes on. Just shut-up and do what you are told. That is why they are successful.
So you are saying Moeller is isolating basketball players while permitting the general student body to attend school? Who are they protecting, the general student body from athletes who may "carry" the virus back from a game against dirty public schools or the players and team from their own less careful student body?

I believe football was shortened due to the timing of coming out of the scare. By the time we get to Dec we should either be totally comfortable in what is going on to have a full schedule or back to a politically forced shut down.
Football was shorten because the state had the foresight to know that some teams would play less games do to Covid exposure. Hence, why everyone entered the playoffs.

So you are saying Moeller is isolating basketball players while permitting the general student body to attend school? Who are they protecting, the general student body from athletes who may "carry" the virus back from a game against dirty public schools or the players and team from their own less careful student body?
Football did the same. They are protecting players bc if you are within 6 feet of another kid in your class for 15 minutes even if you are wearing a mask you get automatic 14 day quarantine. Won't even let you come back if you test negative. Players could lose 3-4 games just bc they went to class.

I think a huge issue that people haven't thought to much about is the officials. They are going to be in a very high risk situation. Most of those guys/gals work kids games and high school so they are going to be around tons of kids/people. I can see them dropping like flies and even more opting out if they see their counterparts all getting sick. Even the ones that aren't sick I'm sure will have to quarantine from officiating games for a certain amount of time if they get caught up in contact tracing.

Agreed. I watched volleyball games and thought about how comfortable they must have been calling those games. Now take them out into the middle of all the players and you need three for one game. There might be a serious shortage of officials.

Agreed. I watched volleyball games and thought about how comfortable they must have been calling those games. Now take them out into the middle of all the players and you need three for one game. There might be a serious shortage of officials.

As a soccer referee, the primary association I am in for game assigning saw an opt out rate of 15% for the past season. That's not considering the garden variety loss from year-to-year with a likely shrink in the ability to pick up new officials. There could be some mitigation of this if teams choose not to play and/or delay their seasons, along with if there's less sub-varsity contests needing coverage (soccer saw some of this too).

Milford and Clermont Northeastern in Southwest Ohio are shutting all winter sports practices down for 2-3 weeks as the schools go to remote with the increase in COVID at the schools and communities. Milford is making this change to remote learning for the high school due to the large number of staff out on quarantine or absent due to illness. They are unable to find enough substitutes to cover for teacher absences. They also have a large number of students in quarantine. Will re-evaluate as of November 16th.

CNE is remote and no sports from 11/9-11/30.

Just the first of many disruptions to schools and sports in the next few months --basketball fans and players better keep fingers crossed.

The school my wife teaches at is telling their teachers to plan in going remote learning from Thanksgiving break till after the first of the year. She said a lot of colleges are going that route also. They haven't said if they will still allowed sports to be played. Have schools said they will play if they go remote???

CMSD did not allow any fall sports while remote I believe. The 5,000 cases per day in Ohio and the number of counties red now cannot bode well unfortunately . . .

The rumor I'm hearing is that we might be looking at a suspension in activities until Jan 4th, schools going remote after Thanksgiving as well. I assume that would mean a condensed season as you can't really push back tournament dates, can you?

Most of the students I saw on the field were wearing masks. Don’t see what the issue is if masks are as effective as we have been told.
I agree with you. Just wondering why i get one ticket per family to see my son play. Not even enough for both parents. We wear masks and are sitting 6 feet apart and there is a massive amount of empty stadiums seats. Maybe those Notre Dame people are special. It’s ridiculous how the covid rules seem to be applied very unevenly. No haircut for me but ok for Chicago mayor. No football viewing in person for me but no problem for Notre Dame students. I would and have gladly worn a mask and social distanced.

I'm afraid things aren't looking good for basketball season. If teams are going to be quarantined every time a player tests positive or every time that they have played against someone who then tests positive, there aren't going to be enough teams left to play.

I agree with you. Just wondering why i get one ticket per family to see my son play. Not even enough for both parents. We wear masks and are sitting 6 feet apart and there is a massive amount of empty stadiums seats. Maybe those Notre Dame people are special. It’s ridiculous how the covid rules seem to be applied very unevenly. No haircut for me but ok for Chicago mayor. No football viewing in person for me but no problem for Notre Dame students. I would and have gladly worn a mask and social distanced.
“Rules for thee, not for me.” The Notre Dame president’s letter to the students today was laughable and hypocritical.

I was talking with a High School AD last night. Sadly they are already talking with other schools about possibly moving games from December, to Jan. In case they aren't allowed to play over Thanksgiving to Christmas. He also said the scho is looking at having an extended break from Thanksgiving till the first of the year.

The point was they had to forfeit to end their playoff run.
The forfeited game was already common knowledge. The point was the question of how many teams have been forced to play a shortened season of less than 10 games. Which is the normal. Most schools playing only 9 games did so by choice.