What will this basketball season look like?

WhatsupDoc

Since football was shortened to to only 60% of it's regular season. And football is an outdoor sport. Will basketball be cut to 12 or 14 regular season games and a quick tournament. Will teams be able to opt out of the tournament? Probably won't be allowed to host big showcase events this year.

Since football was shortened to to only 60% of it's regular season. And football is an outdoor sport. Will basketball be cut to 12 or 14 regular season games and a quick tournament. Will teams be able to opt out of the tournament? Probably won't be allowed to host big showcase events this year.

As of right now, the season will go on as normal.... (except for the fans)

That will stand until the governor gets in the way

lol...

Schools can opt out now and could for years...

OHSAA... (Tournament Regulations)
III. TOURNAMENT ENTRY AND PAPERWORK REQUIREMENTS
A. Tournament Entry/Withdraw
Member schools wanting to participate in the 2020 OHSAA Basketball Tournaments must indicate their intent to
participate in my OHSAA. The deadline for Tournament entry/withdraw
is January 27, 2020 (Girls)/February 3, 2020
(Boys). Schools that change their tournament participation after these deadline may be subject to penalty. No late entry
will be accepted after 12:00 noon on the Friday prior to the draw.

There is no reason to shorten the season, but some games may be cancelled and
replaced with new opponents (or a make up date)

I am fairly certain that limited spectator will be in force.

As far as the 'showcase' events: I don't think some those will happen due
to attendance limitations thus limiting revenue to pay for the expense of
hosting the event(s).

:>---

one of the few

I hope for the kids' sake that the season won't be shortened, and also that spectator limitations would be eased. GO PORTSMOUTH TROJANS!!

Ohio pup, I forgot about the limited seating. The light allow showcases, but if you only have 250 at the game you would take a big hit!!!

I've heard that schools will have to clear out the gym after each contest Frosh, JV, Varsity. This could push varsity start times past 8:00 on most nights.

I've heard that schools will have to clear out the gym after each contest Frosh, JV, Varsity. This could push varsity start times past 8:00 on most nights.

This is true only if you are playing different opponents. So if you have JV/Varsity game of Orange vs Black, but your freshman teams are Orange vs Green then yes gym needs to be cleared out and black cannot enter the facility until Green is gone.

that way there is no cross contamination. crazy

This is true only if you are playing different opponents. So if you have JV/Varsity game of Orange vs Black, but your freshman teams are Orange vs Green then yes gym needs to be cleared out and black cannot enter the facility until Green is gone.

They are clearing the gyms out after each game bc only parents will be allowed in the stands. Doesn't matter if a different opponent. If you have a kid playing JV you can't stay and watch varsity game.

They are clearing the gyms out after each game bc only parents will be allowed in the stands. Doesn't matter if a different opponent. If you have a kid playing JV you can't stay and watch varsity game.

That is not a universal rule though. Some schools in our area are doing it. Especially the ones with a smaller gym who is only giving 2 tickets per family then are asking the JV parents to leave while the varsity parents are waiting outside. I know our school is not doing that. We have a big gym however, each player is given 4 tickets. I know we had some extra tickets on Saturday that we actually sold at the gate.

I believe football was shortened due to the timing of coming out of the scare. By the time we get to Dec we should either be totally comfortable in what is going on to have a full schedule or back to a politically forced shut down.

Ky is having a coin flip determine who starts with the ball instead of a jump ball. I have zero idea what this accomplishes, I swear people have lost their minds.
Possibly paralleling football, where the officials are to minimize contact with the footballs, is all I can surmise. But then, don't know how inbounds plays are being dealt with in Kentucky.

Last edited:
Has the OHSAA released the changes to Basketball yet. I remember with football it was going to be everything normal. Then BOOM. 6 game season everyone makes playoffs. Probably going to do the same thing to bball. Only 12-14 games and the higher seeds host all tournament games with no more then 150.

Has the OHSAA released the changes to Basketball yet. I remember with football it was going to be everything normal. Then BOOM. 6 game season everyone makes playoffs. Probably going to do the same thing to bball. Only 12-14 games and the higher seeds host all tournament games with no more then 150.
I seen no more than 300 unless your gym can hold more then it's a certain percentage

Go to a volleyball game and that's pretty much how basketball will be done. Clear the crowds after each game... home court advantage with large crowds and student sections will be non-existent this year

A 4- month bubble, with every participating OHSAA member school centrally located at TOSU athletic campus all games including tournament will be at the Schottenstein and St. John's arena D1-2 at Schott, D3-4 at St. John's. Regular season games will also be played at the arenas and the recreational facilities on campus. Academic classes will be virtual, immediate family will be allowed tournament time(4 tickets per player/2 per coach). All games will be played Mon.-Sat. from 2p-8p Mon.- Fri., 12p-9p Sat. 18 game regular season. Teams will live in the bubble at dorms and hotels on campus. Girls teams on one side of campus boys teams on the other. Participation for this season is optional.

Correction: The girls' bubble will be at The University of Dayton campus with the same arrangements and accomodations.

Last edited:
Some coaches will need to, um, watch their mouths closely without crowd noise to drown out some of the things they say. ;)

The biggest adjustment for me as an official, I will need to lower my voice when I report fouls (I am naturally a loud person - a blessing and a curse) so as not to come across as demonstrative or angry - this is something I struggle with and get critiqued on often when I referee games with and without crowd noise. I also don't necessarily want everyone in the gym hearing my "quieter" conversations with players and coaches.

From what I hear they will be using a round ball and this is funny and hang two baskets at each end of the floor with 5 players on each side no really!!

A 4- month bubble, with every participating OHSAA member school centrally located at TOSU athletic campus all games including tournament will be at the Schottenstein and St. John's arena D1-2 at Schott, D3-4 at St. John's. Regular season games will also be played at the arenas and the recreational facilities on campus. Academic classes will be virtual, immediate family will be allowed tournament time(4 tickets per player/2 per coach). All games will be played Mon.-Sat. from 2p-8p Mon.- Fri., 12p-9p Sat. 18 game regular season. Teams will live in the bubble at dorms and hotels on campus. Girls teams on one side of campus boys teams on the other. Participation for this season is optional.

Correction: The girls' bubble will be at The University of Dayton campus with the same arrangements and accomodations.
Will they use the same officials for every game? Bubble wont do much good if new officials rotate through.

What do you think of Moeller having varsity players move to full-time online classes instead of in person classes in order to reduce chances of getting caught up in the CDC 14 day quarantine?

What do you think of Moeller having varsity players move to full-time online classes instead of in person classes in order to reduce chances of getting caught up in the CDC 14 day quarantine?
If numbers continue to rise, non isolated teams will likely find exposure to be too common to successfully have any continuity in their program with all the required quarantines.

Also did Moeller require such a move or did the coaches and kids want it and Moeller allowed it to happen? I would be against a school requiring that athletes must stay out of school. If it was the teams choice go for it.