What will next year and years after look like?

That would give them 1 week to practice, following week would be Conferences, then into District, Regional, and State. Very doable for track and field athletes.

This needs to stop. The postponing is not doing any good. Even OHSAA is putting it on Dewine in their tweets. He is listening to the experts advice and putting it into motion. I think Snodgrass and OHSAA do not want to take the brunt of the decisions and are playing the blame game and its still allowing kids to congregate together with a false hope.

THE OHSAA IS TALKING AND PLANNING ABOUT FALL SPORTS RIGHT NOW, KNOWING THAT THIS CAN EFFECT THEIR REGULAR SEASON.

Also, the last thing to come back to normalcy after this is totally over is the places where people congregate, like schools and sports.

This needs to stop. The postponing is not doing any good. Even OHSAA is putting it on Dewine in their tweets. He is listening to the experts advice and putting it into motion. I think Snodgrass and OHSAA do not want to take the brunt of the decisions and are playing the blame game and its still allowing kids to congregate together with a false hope.

THE OHSAA IS TALKING AND PLANNING ABOUT FALL SPORTS RIGHT NOW, KNOWING THAT THIS CAN EFFECT THEIR REGULAR SEASON.
! Give it a rest.

If the approrpriate time comes to cancel the sports season, then I can accept that. The OHSAA is not encouraging kids to congregate in large groups. There is no prize for ending the season prematurely. It is not a decision to be made lightly because once it's made, there's no going back on it if the situation should change for the better.

! Give it a rest.

If the approrpriate time comes to cancel the sports season, then I can accept that. The OHSAA is not encouraging kids to congregate in large groups. There is no prize for ending the season prematurely. It is not a decision to be made lightly because once it's made, there's no going back on it if the situation should change for the better.
Their decision is causing athletes to come together. It is causing it and would be happening ALOT less if they just said it was over, which is going to happen. You know that.

All of the coaches I know told their athletes to complete workouts on their own, but they still are coming together...along with not having a coach to supervise the workouts.

May 24th is the day they project that we start going back to normal. People congregating in the masses will be the last thing to return to normal. It's common sense.

Also psychodad your right, we need to stop thinking about this season and start thinking about the repercussions of all of this to the future of sports and to our future everyday lives. There are going to be alot in both sports and education.

Also, let's say we come back May 1st. Who is on Varsity for the postseason? What does it say to JV that your season is done (no season) but varsity is allowed a season. That does not sound like a team oriented program where everyone is important and has a role to play in the sport...which is what high school sports is all about.

Sorry for all the comments but when I still see old people, high school athletes, parents still not abiding by the guidelines for the well-being of others, it is very concerning and is putting the health of others in danger. This postponement is enabling that.

Also, let's say we come back May 1st. Who is on Varsity for the postseason? What does it say to JV that your season is done (no season) but varsity is allowed a season. That does not sound like a team oriented program where everyone is important and has a role to play in the sport...which is what high school sports is all about.

Sorry for all the comments but when I still see old people, high school athletes, parents still not abiding by the guidelines for the well-being of others, it is very concerning and is putting the health of others in danger. This postponement is enabling that.

I think having six weeks is better than no weeks. The virus is supposed to peak in two weeks, that gives it two weeks to die down and push our more medicine. We have a JV conference meet, so they wouldn't be wasting their time.

You cannot control people and what they do on their own. Some people never learn...

So, softball will be the first thing to return to normal?

Grange45... As a coach, do you think I should just take it upon myself to shut the season down now? Should it be my AD? Super?

One thing I see that is lacking in this whole thing and the one thing that will pull us out of it is leadership. Sports is very important in developing that. It needs to be one of the first things that is brought back. A lot depends on it in the future.

Please do not take this as a criticism but as the question it is intended.

I hear on tv, read in papers, and even people on here stating that people are not following distancing suggestions. What are they doing? They can't go to restaurants or bars? Are they hosting parties? And for those criticising how do you know if you are not at the same place doing it also?

I have left the house once per day over the past three weeks to walk-jog alone and have yet to see another person. I have not gone anywhere else and may be out of the loop.

Sunday when it was warm there were easily a hundred people - not an exaggeration - on the trail system near my house. Any number of those people were stopped, chatting, within 2-3 feet of each other.

Apparently they are not in endangering many people because as of now out of ever million people in Ohio only 160 have been diagnosed and only 3 out of that million has died. The number of people in the ICU is still less than the number of hospitals in Ohio. We are nearly two months into this thing and it is not spreading like a wildfire. You are acting like if you get inside the 6 foot range of someone with CV-19 you are going to get it. A few healthy young kids running together outside it not going to endanger society.

Every single person in the world can avoid getting it if they so chose to isolate themselves 100% (sure they may need to quit their job but millions have lost their job because of it) so these kids are not going to infect you unless you put yourself it a position for it to happen.

Sunday when it was warm there were easily a hundred people - not an exaggeration - on the trail system near my house. Any number of those people were stopped, chatting, within 2-3 feet of each other.

How would you know if you too were not there? Or can you see it from your house. Out walking is healthy but within 2-3 feet of one another at this time is not.

What is this going to do to public schools funding? This year could be a big hit for taxes. How many years down the road will this hit? Sports programs will be the first to suffer. More pay to play? Will it be as soon as next school year?

You lost me there. Why would tax income go down for schools? Are my property taxes going lower for some reason? I missed that completely.

Are all teachers getting paid? How are phys ed teachers working? Are bus drivers and custodians laid off? If they are, then the schools are saving money. If they aren't laid off, why not? What are administrators and secretaries doing while the schools closed?

You lost me there. Why would tax income go down for schools? Are my property taxes going lower for some reason? I missed that completely.

Are all teachers getting paid? How are phys ed teachers working? Are bus drivers and custodians laid off? If they are, then the schools are saving money. If they aren't laid off, why not? What are administrators and secretaries doing while the schools closed?

I do not know a lot about exactly how public schools are completely funded, but I think that property taxes are a small fraction. It is my understanding that property taxes make up about 15% The lottery 15% State General fund 70% There are also Federal dollars. It is also my understanding that only about 50% of property taxes goes to schools. Each school district gets funded by different percentages by the state. A school district like Woodridge is almost 100% property taxes and Levy dollars, but Cleveland City Schools has very low property tax funding.

This would be something nice to hear from an expert because I'm not even 5% sure.

Last edited:
I do not know a lot about exactly how public schools are completely funded, but I think that property taxes are a small fraction. It is my understanding that property taxes make up about 15% The lottery 15% State General fund 70% There are also Federal dollars. It is also my understanding that only about 50% of property taxes goes to schools. Each school district gets funded by different percentages by the state. A school district like Woodridge is almost 100% property taxes and Levy dollars, but Cleveland City Schools has very low property tax funding.

This would be something nice to hear from an expert because I'm not even 5% sure.

How it works is that each school district receives a predetermined amount of money per student by the Ohio department of education. That money is determined by average property values in a given school district. So Akron Public receives around $6000 per student. Coventry receives closer to $2500 per student. However, it typically cost closer to $9000 to $10000 a year to educate each student. So there is a windfall that each school district has to make up with tax levies-usually property taxes. It is the state funding that is comprised of General fund/lottery/etc.

Also, interesting tidbit, the state gives a district $6000 a year for each open enrollment student the district accepts, no matter what the property values are in a district. However, it must be remembered that open enrollment benefits a school district financially only if it is controlled and managed responsibly, and the district ensures that open enrollment is just used to fill up desks that are otherwise empty in a classroom. But some districts lose control, and open enroll lots of students, requiring additional teachers, and additional classrooms. That takes a financial toll on the district, to which the taxpayers have to make up. as you would guess, that can cause a lot of friction within a school district when they are trying to pass a levy.

Please do not take this as a criticism but as the question it is intended.

I hear on tv, read in papers, and even people on here stating that people are not following distancing suggestions. What are they doing? They can't go to restaurants or bars? Are they hosting parties? And for those criticising how do you know if you are not at the same place doing it also?

I have left the house once per day over the past three weeks to walk-jog alone and have yet to see another person. I have not gone anywhere else and may be out of the loop.

For starters, I have friends who post pics on social media. They try to act cute with their group photos by extending their arms to show that they are social distancing, but I know them well enough to doubt they're keeping their distance while running. The social aspect of the run is what is causing them to meet at all right now. These are people ranging from their mid 20s to early 50s.

Where I live, many trail segments and the trailheads are visible from the roads. There are no leaves on the trees yet, so anybody driving or pedaling past can see what's happening without violating any social distancing orders. On occasion, I still see groups of neighborhood kids roaming around. I don't need a prescription for new glasses that badly. I don't have to be within 6 feet to see them.

I went to a couple stores yesterday to buy various food items. Maintaining proper distance from other customers was not a problem. Both stores were far less busy than normal.

I've also taken some long walks around town the past few days. I haven't encountered many others on the sidewalks. The past couple days of bad weather helped keep people inside. The fast food joints and pizza places are still getting business. Dairy Queen was printing money on Sunday when it was quite warm. The line of cars at their drive-thru had backed up onto the side street next to DQ.

End of the day, the vibe I got from walking around my town is that people are taking the situation seriously and have adjusted to it as best they can. It is not business as usual.

Last edited:

With regard to your 1st paragraph, the income tax rate isn't going down, but peoples' total incomes are being affected by this situation, which in turn, affects how much money is collected via income tax. Your property taxes are what they are. That's not going to change until either the next time a levy comes up or your property value is re-assessed. The state's primary sources of funding are: state sales tax (most counties have voter-approved piggy-back rates on their sales tax for various purposes), state income tax, Federal funds, and various fees (ex. license plate registration, driver's license, etc). If many people are not working, there will be less money spent which hurts sales tax collection. Even if all other forms of consumption remain the same, the state is probably taking a hit right now from the lack of taxes collected when people dine in at a restaurant or have a drink at the bar (the bar will usually already have the tax rate built into the price of the drink). State income tax collection will likely take a hit as well. DeWine has already instituted a hiring freeze for state employees and has instructed his cabinet members to look for ways to cut as much as 20% from their respective departments' budgets for next year, although he admitted in his presser today that some departments will not be able to cut that much from their budget and that certain departmental expenditures are unavoidable.

With regard to your 2nd paragraph, even if school is not in session, I would guess that the teachers are getting paid since they're salaried employees, and they may still be conducting some type of classwork via online methods, but you'd have to check their contracts to see if they would for sure be paid in this situation. The ones taking the big hit here would be your substitutes who are "gig employees." Also, there's probably at least 1 custodian on duty at each building for maintenance purposes. My local school district's student body is 100% eligible for free and reduced lunches. Some bus drivers are being used to deliver the lunches to various locations within the district, so the kids who need it can still get lunch during the week. There is probably some money being saved here as most bus drivers are hourly employees, there are no extracurricular trips happening, and there is very little diesel fuel being consumed right now by the bus fleets.

As for administration and secretaries, they are probably still coming into the office. There is always some type of work to be done, even if they're only needing a 1/2 day to do it. These places aren't totally mothballed in the summers when school isn't in session, so there's no reason to think that it's any different right now.

My town's librarians are on paid furlough. The library already has the money to cover the remainder of its current fiscal year, so the staff can be paid for now. Some of their funding comes from the state and some comes from additional property tax revenue approved by the voters within the area the library serves.

Last edited:
Are all teachers getting paid?... ... What are administrators and secretaries doing while the schools closed?
I would hope teachers are still being paid since they are currently expected to be providing learning material for their students. I would also assume that they would be paid due to be salary.

My district is staffing school offices for half day and rotating through the schools with two staffed each day and the board office is staffed for a half day every day. They are working on putting numbers together to determine how many OE kids to accept next year as the OE application process begins shortly.

Also this is NOT going to peak until mid May. Any current statistic about icu’s is irrelevant. That stat is going to increase exponentially over the next few weeks. My wife is in the medical field and they are freaking out right now when it happens. They’ve had numerous meetings about it to prepare but I’m expecting not to see her at home for at least 2-3 weeks when it happens.
I respectfully disagree. Acton actually admitted she does not have enough data. Ohio has not tested enough for whatever reason. They are not doing the epidemiology (again her admission). Big decisions need to be made by facts. In the last four days we have hovered around 300 to 248 new cases per day. We may be peaking in Ohio right now. Honestly, if after self quarantining for almost four weeks, we average 6K to 8k new cases per day (Acton's numbers) then the quarantining was useless. However, if it worked and we slowed things down, hang for another couple weeks, start unwinding things, then we can start getting back to normal. The beginning of May seems reasonable to me. If we shut down our economy for three months and people start missing payments, the financial institutions start to falter, your are going to have really big problems... like problems that will make the big recession seem tame in comparison. No government can print enough money to keep an economy going if there is so much cash that inflation is out of control. Companies are already admitting that they are not coming back after this.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. Acton actually admitted she does not have enough data. Ohio has not tested enough for whatever reason. They are not doing the epidemiology (again her admission). Big decisions need to be made by facts. In the last four days we have hovered around 300 to 248 new cases per day. We may be peaking in Ohio right now. Honestly, if after self quarantining for almost four weeks, we average 6K to 8k new cases per day (Acton's numbers) then the quarantining was useless. However, if it worked and we slowed things down, hang for another couple weeks, start unwinding things, then we can start getting back to normal. The beginning of May seems reasonable to me. If we shut down our economy for three months and people start missing payments, the financial institutions start to falter, your are going to have really big problems... like problems that will make the big recession seem tame in comparison. No government can print enough money to keep an economy going if there is so much cash that inflation is out of control. Companies are already admitting that they are not coming back after this.

It's been stated ad nauseam in the daily press conferences that Ohio doesn't have enough tests available to test as many people as they would like. That is the reason. The limited supply of tests available in Ohio are being reserved for 2 groups: 1. The patients who present with the most severe symptoms and 2. Healthcare personnel on the front lines who are in constant contact with infected patients. Additionally, there is also a bit of a lag in the number of cases reported due to some hospitals whose tests are processed by independent labs that are extremely backed up.

As you stated, we don't have a complete picture of the data.