What Was The Best Game of the Decade?

The Mentor vs. St. Ignatius 2012 3 overtime playoff game. Trubisky threw for 6 TD's. Final 57-56.
On the same night as that all-time classic, Kirtland beat Youngstown Ursuline 38-37 after being down 24-0 at halftime. Best HS game I’ve attended to date.

The Mentor vs. St. Ignatius 2012 3 overtime playoff game. Trubisky threw for 6 TD's. Final 57-56.

2013 D-1 State Championship game. Moeller 55 Mentor 52 (no overtime) Gus Ragland accounts for all 8 Moeller Td's by throwing three TD passes and rushing for five more. Mentor trailed 48-26 after three quarters. Mentor QB Conner Krizancic was outstanding as well (even scored a TD after getting knocked out). GBM

2013 D-1 State Championship game. Moeller 55 Mentor 52 (no overtime) Gus Ragland accounts for all 8 Moeller Td's by throwing three TD passes and rushing for five more. Mentor trailed 48-26 after three quarters. Mentor QB Conner Krizancic was outstanding as well (even scored a TD after getting knocked out). GBM

That was also the coldest game I have ever been to in my life. And you are right, Krizancic did get knocked out. I was very surprised that he was put back into the game. That would not happen in todays world. Ragland torched Mentors secondary all game.

2017 Coldwater vs Lima Central Catholic. Coldwater scores twice in 10 seconds to win 24-17

I will also add the 2018 Coldwater vs Fort Recovery football game. Down 31-21 in the fourth quarter, Coldwater scores twice to knock off the Indians 35-31.

Last edited:
Many great ones. I mention this one because I was a witness. Midview/Avon 2014 Regional Semi-Final. Midview won 42-36 in OT. Many big plays by both teams and the second half had amazing emotional swings for both teams/fans... Plus the weather of a frozen field and light snow made it almost a movie like setting.

As a broadcaster (since 2002), I've seen a lot of football over the last 17 years. The best game I've ever seen in person occurred last season in Week 8. West Liberty-Salem beat visiting West Jefferson 42-39 on a touchdown with 23 seconds remaining (a drive that saw a 4th and 5 converted). West Jefferson got the last laugh in the Regional Finals, however, a game that was nearly as back-and-forth.

Story: https://www.springfieldnewssun.com/...m-past-west-jefferson/jhqYFBwvs5K0lgAl21ILKI/

Many great ones. I mention this one because I was a witness. Midview/Avon 2014 Regional Semi-Final. Midview won 42-36 in OT. Many big plays by both teams and the second half had amazing emotional swings for both teams/fans... Plus the weather of a frozen field and light snow made it almost a movie like setting.
I agree. It was a wild ride during a very hot rivalry period between the Eagles and Middies.

TCC vs. Athens was ridiculous. Sat in a BW3 and to see almost every TV in the place on a high school game and everyone cheering for that game was not something you see every day. Joe Burrow was amazing then.

Of all the games I took in during the time mentioned, for me this is the one game that always sticks out. Before I post it, the score will make it sound like a dude. I watched four games in this day and it far the most exciting.

Quaker Valley, Pa 2
Aliquippa,Pa 0

The video pretty much captures it all.

Ill take the CW vs MSML game with the 40 something yard FG for the win......two TITANS going at it
There's too many good games to count. That game is attendance record for Cavalier Stadium and I don't think that will ever be broken. I still laugh at the guy who pulled the boom truck behind the visitor stands. For those who don't know, Cavalier Stadium seats roughly 3,500 people. There was probably over 5000 people there and I'm probably still undershooting it.

The Kenton and Creston Norwayne State Championship game in 2011 was a pretty back and forth game with Norwayne winning 48-42.

What a game that was. Small hometown squad against the Ohio Mr. Football (Maty Mauk). Those Norwayne kids just kept fighting back.

The Kenton and Creston Norwayne State Championship game in 2011 was a pretty back and forth game with Norwayne winning 48-42.

That game was wild. Mauk did his thing but Norwayne QB wearing #45 (also ILB) stole the show with something like 450 all purpose yards and 7 TDs. Awesome performance.

That was also the coldest game I have ever been to in my life. And you are right, Krizancic did get knocked out. I was very surprised that he was put back into the game. That would not happen in todays world. Ragland torched Mentors secondary all game.
I was there as well. Was never more relieved in my life when Mentor On-side kick went out of bounds.

Games I saw live
2009 Hilliard Davidson 16 - Glenville 15
2014 Minster 46 - Kirtland 42
2019 Trotwood 14 - Mansfield 7
2018 Chardon 27 - Kenston 24
2018 Riverside 43 - Nordonia 38
2015 South 75 - Riverside 68
2015 Perry 27 - Madison 26