What schools do you think should or eventually will consolidate?

This was starting to come up in the schools who might struggle to field a team thread and I think this topic deserves its own thread.
Here's some I think should for starters:
Arcadia/Vanlue - Hancock East

Bradford into Covington

Dayton Jefferson Twp into Trotwood and possibly split with some others.

Mississinawa Valley into Ansonia

Beallsville/Hannibal River/ Monroe Central- Monroe County

Paulding/Wayne Trace/Antwerp- Paulding County

Waynesfield-Goshen into Wapakoneta

Hardin Northern into Ada

What schools do you think will close?

Last edited:

SHOULD??
Ottoville / Fort Jennings in Putnam county. 3 and a half miles divide the schools. Now its worth pointing out that neither has football BUT with their powers combined they COULD field a team....maybe.

Miller City / Continental, again in Putnam county. Not as close as the above mentioned (8 mile divide between Miller City and Continental) BUT still close enough IMO. Again neither has a football team but could field a team.

Kalida and Columbus Grove COULD merge although Grove has no issues fielding athletic teams especially football BUT Kalida to Grove is no further than Miller City to Continental.

In short Putnam county is ripe to be consolidated. Always has been, always will be but WON'T.

I have my ideas but think consolidations should be for far more than the ability to field a football team.

How about Mississinawa and Tri Village? Two rural districts that struggle with the financial strength of their communities.

Arcanum and Franklin- Monroe. Two very similar agrarian schools that are too close to be independent.

Covington- Newton- Bradford in Miami County. The new district would compete with the likes of Milton-Union or Miami East. It would make Miami county more uniform in the East and West with two schools on each side (Bethel is also on the east) and three up the middle ( Tipp, Troy , Piqua) .

Almost every one of these counties had consolidations years ago once we had reliable transportation of the combustion engine. Why not use the internet now and keep the kids at home for education and save on all the infrastructure required? We are not maximizing our internet technology by continuing to group kids together in classrooms at a brick and mortar location.

If mom and dad could combine to replace the bus driver, teacher, janitor, lunch lady, school nurse, school psychologist, principal and others we could reduce our property taxes required.

Last edited:
Would Jefferson match up better with Trotwood or with Miamisburg or Dunbar? Jefferson township is an aging community with shrinking youth population. One day, that will reverse itself.

My experience is that it doesn't work that way. When two high schools merge, instead of dropping from two principals to one, they seem to end up with one principal and two vice-principals. Same with other administrative positions. Bureaucracies never shrink, they only grow or die.

My experience is that it doesn't work that way. When two high schools merge, instead of dropping from two principals to one, they seem to end up with one principal and two vice-principals. Same with other administrative positions. Bureaucracies never shrink, they only grow or die.
Ummm, shouldn't they have more vice principals since there are more students? That only make sense.

Adding to the NW list I would include Cory-Rawson and Bluffton to the list. Both Hancock and Putnam counties have too many. Toledo City schools should reduce their HS by one more.

Campbell Memorial, Struthers and Lowellville should consolidate.
But that makes too much sense.
Screenshot_20200328-210341_Maps.jpg

This just seems ridiculous for a D4, D6 and D7 school to be that close to one another. And Lowellville is only hanging due to open enrollment bringing in students.

Would Jefferson match up better with Trotwood or with Miamisburg or Dunbar? Jefferson township is an aging community with shrinking youth population. One day, that will reverse itself.
I think Jefferson could close. I believe those students could end up at a combination of Valley View, Dixie, Trotwood and Dayton City schools.

I have my ideas but think consolidations should be for far more than the ability to field a football team.

How about Mississinawa and Tri Village? Two rural districts that struggle with the financial strength of their communities.

Arcanum and Franklin- Monroe. Two very similar agrarian schools that are too close to be independent.

Covington- Newton- Bradford in Miami County. The new district would compete with the likes of Milton-Union or Miami East. It would make Miami county more uniform in the East and West with two schools on each side (Bethel is also on the east) and three up the middle ( Tipp, Troy , Piqua) .

Almost every one of these counties had consolidations years ago once we had reliable transportation of the combustion engine. Why not use the internet now and keep the kids at home for education and save on all the infrastructure required? We are not maximizing our internet technology by continuing to group kids together in classrooms at a brick and mortar location.

If mom and dad could combine to replace the bus driver, teacher, janitor, lunch lady, school nurse, school psychologist, principal and others we could reduce our property taxes required.
I always thought it made sense for Ansonia and Miss Valley to consolidate. Considering they are both so small and so close in distance. I like the idea of the Covington/Bradford/Newton merging as well. I don’t think any of those are likely tho. Maybe Bradford/Covington but Newton is going to stay on their own. They are a great community with a lot of support. Their facilities are top notch for their size. They even just opened a Athletic Facility to have extra space for weight rooms and practice. It’s incredibly nice.

Walnut Twp Local Schools (Millersport) in Fairfield County is an interesting one. They have said they are not bringing back their football program, which shuttered before the 2018 season. It’s a really small district with the tax revenue and local economy centered around the tourism industry & real estate of nearby Buckeye Lake. For those who recall about 4-5 years ago when Buckeye Lake was basically condemned, the district at the same time was considering a consolidation to save itself from financial emergency. Except no one was willing to take them on and their financial mess. They lose a decent amount of students who want better extracurricular and educational opportunities to nearby Lakewood, Sheridan and Liberty Union.

Adding to the NW list I would include Cory-Rawson and Bluffton to the list. Both Hancock and Putnam counties have too many. Toledo City schools should reduce their HS by one more.

TPS this past October reported just over 6,500 students in grades 9 -12. With 6 traditional high schools and 2 specialized high schools (early college and the tech academy). From a football perspective the question is would eliminating ONE high school lets say make any of the remaining 5 better? Start and Bowsher are already D1 so any additional students would not impact their level of classification. So for example if they got rid of Rogers (Rogers is the "youngest" of the TPS high schools, it did not join TPS until after Bowsher and Start were opened and to boot was originally an outside district that TPS absorbed in the 60s.). IF you sent half to Start and half to Bowsher (although most would probably end up at Bowsher) would that make those two programs better? idk. Rogers just this past season saw a huge upswing in performance. They beat Bowsher however got hammered by Start. Start went 4-1 in league play this past fall but got absolutely murdered in the out of league play. Grant it they played 4 playoff teams, but they got beat by TRAC bottom dweller Fremont Ross pretty handily. So would adding some of Rogers' talent make them better? Start has gone 24-1 in the TCL these last five seasons. So my guess is any additional talent or bodies would not make a difference in conference. Plus they'd have to schedule one more OOC opponent and Start likes to "schedule up" as it were so would that scenario help them or hurt them as far as making the playoffs on annual basis? again idk. The other factor to consider with TPS is Bowsher, Start, Woodward and Rogers are all new buildings I believe. Not sure what their current building capacity is.

My point is I agree but there are a lot of variables to consider both inside football and outside of it as well for TPS to eliminate a high school

I’d like to know what practical knowledge those calling for consolidations have regarding the schools in question.

Not that it matters, but Bluffton is in Allen County

Having a less than 10 years old elementary/middle school addition notwithstanding, a better option may be Cory-Rawson just dissolving and getting absorbed by all the surrounding districts. Lot of land in in that district.

I always thought it made sense for Ansonia and Miss Valley to consolidate. Considering they are both so small and so close in distance. I like the idea of the Covington/Bradford/Newton merging as well. I don’t think any of those are likely tho. Maybe Bradford/Covington but Newton is going to stay on their own. They are a great community with a lot of support. Their facilities are top notch for their size. They even just opened a Athletic Facility to have extra space for weight rooms and practice. It’s incredibly nice.
Put me in the merge Miss Valley and Ansonia camp. I think it'd work well together. Newton I think can sustain itself especially with the fact that Miami County is growing.