What Movies Did You Watch in September 2020?

vamp2syd

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

#4200 Santo en El tesoro de Drácula (Mexico-1969) ... aka "Santo and Dracula's Treasure" ... 4.0/8

#4201 Konga (UK-1961) ... 3.5/8

#4202 Captive State (US-2019) ... 2.0/8

#4203 Santo vs. la hija de Frankestein (Mexico-1972) ... aka "Santo vs Frankenstein's Daughter" ... 2.0/8

#4204 The Sound (Canada-2017) ... 4.0/8

#4205 Fear, Inc. (US-2016) ... 5.5/8

#4206 Gamera 10: Region shurai (Japan-1996) ... aka "Attack of the Legion" ... 4.0/8

#4207 Cathy's Curse (France-1977) ... 4.5/8

Last edited:

Jersey Boys (2014) - An entertaining bio-pic of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. I wish I had seen the play instead. The movie ran long and I believe the play would have been shorter and hearing the music live is always a plus. The revelation of Joe Pesci's involvement was kind of fun.

5/8

Last edited:
Santo en El tesoro de Drácula (Mexico-1969)

Lucha Libre Horror: Santo, Mexico's greatest masked wrestler and scientist, discovers where Dracula's hidden treasure is located and with his buddies goes on the hunt. Well, this one forgot what it was about and just ended but hey, anytime we can get Santo vs Dracula it is a good thing. Lots of good cheesy fun with this one but it is what it is..... 4.0/8

Konga (UK-1961)

Horror: A scientist gives a chimp an experimental drug that makes him grow extremely big and out of control. Oh boy... the effects in this one.... lets at least make an effort to keep everything in scale. Some ridiculous moments but overall not really that bad for this type of movie.... 3.5/8

Captive State (2019)

Action/Horror: Alien invasion and humans in big cities are forced to live with the new rules that is with the exception of a few renegades who look to strike back and the invading force. Uhhhg, just did not care for this one at all ..... 2.0/8

Just got done watching The lion in Winter. You need to watch Becket 1st. Peter O'Toole, What a great actor.

Creed II (2018) 6/8 Adonis Creed faces off against Victor Drago, the son of Ivan Drago, who killed his father in Rocky IV. Though this one has a lot of Rocky IV story lines, it plays out more like Rocky III. Creed takes a beating, he's scared, Rocky works him into to shaped, changes his style and well the rest is pretty is easy to figure out. I'm a sucker for this franchise. I even enjoy the bad ones (Rocky V and Rocky Balboa). Looking forward to Creed III, but it looks like Rocky won't be involved. Will be interesting to see what that looks like.

Read an article about issues with the sound. Did you have that problem? Basically said Nolan does it on purpose, wants you to experience the movie rather than watch it. Whatever that means.
Soundtrack definitely gets loud at times (like Interstellar) to the point where the dialogue is kind of hard to hear. I definitely need to see this movie again before I judge. Can’t get a feel for it after 1 viewing.

In the mood for some boxing movies, going to take in Requiem, movie or playhouse, my favorite Twilight Zone, The Big Tall Wish and

Body and Soul 6/8 Good boxing move. John Garfield almost always worth watching. Supporting cast a bit eh but did like Canada Lee's work so went looking at his list of movies and came up with something he only had a bit part in.

Lost Boundaries 8/8 A true story, I will watch this one again and again. Honestly, the leads acting could have been better and the camera is about waste high but the character acting is terrific and the message on point. There have not been that many movies that have drawn me in bell-to-bell like this one. It gives a balance to a modern topic like you're not going to find in anything recent. Free on youtube, I HIGHLY recommend.

Unbroken 5/8 great story but something just not pulled off. Got most of the way through before I started predicting scenes and realized I'd watched it before. So, not particularly memorable but couldn't say why. The guy playing the Japanese camp commandant is some pop-star but he was really good in the role. I'll no doubt watch it again in a few years.

Air Force (1943) 6/8 In any Pearl Harbor movie, they show the B-17s that were coming in from the mainland. This movie is about one of them. Follows it on to Wake, Clark AB and Darwin. Mostly war time fiction built around archive footage (43, Pacific sea all but decided), fake zeros and model ships and planes. The prenultimate scene is a bit of nonsense but Howard Hawks! Can't go too wrong. A John Garfield/WWII movie that had escaped me. Glad I found it.

The Boston Strangler (1968) .... 6.0/8

Tony Curtis really sells the role of the Boston Strangler in this True Crime film supposedly based on the confession of the Boston Strangler but I really do not know too much about it so not sure how accurate this film was. I really liked the way it was shot and the climax was well worth the wait....

Unbroken 5/8 great story but something just not pulled off. Got most of the way through before I started predicting scenes and realized I'd watched it before. So, not particularly memorable but couldn't say why. The guy playing the Japanese camp commandant is some pop-star but he was really good in the role. I'll no doubt watch it again in a few years.

It was such an outstanding book and such a disappointment as a movie. I guess Angelina Jolie being the director should have been the first clue. That story deserved better.

It was such an outstanding book and such a disappointment as a movie. I guess Angelina Jolie being the director should have been the first clue. That story deserved better.

Maybe one of these days I'll get around to reading a book.

It doesn't take much imagination to figure out what a great story it is. Takes more to imagine why it took so long to be made.

Maybe one of these days I'll get around to reading a book.

It doesn't take much imagination to figure out what a great story it is. Takes more to imagine why it took so long to be made.

The book is outstanding. One of my all-time favorites. Louis Zamperini was an American hero.

Siberia
6/8

Odd movie starring Keanu Reeves. Very gritty with a welcome level of realism on what happens when you get into fight then the John Wick movies ever had.

Creed II (2018) 6/8 Adonis Creed faces off against Victor Drago, the son of Ivan Drago, who killed his father in Rocky IV. Though this one has a lot of Rocky IV story lines, it plays out more like Rocky III. Creed takes a beating, he's scared, Rocky works him into to shaped, changes his style and well the rest is pretty is easy to figure out. I'm a sucker for this franchise. I even enjoy the bad ones (Rocky V and Rocky Balboa). Looking forward to Creed III, but it looks like Rocky won't be involved. Will be interesting to see what that looks like.

Rocky Balboa isn’t bad IMO. Slightly unrealistic maybe, but I quite enjoy it, especially his battle to be let back in the ring by the boxing commission.

Jersey Boys (2014) - An entertaining bio-pic of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. I wish I had seen the play instead. The movie ran long and I believe the play would have been shorter and hearing the music live is always a plus. The revelation of Joe Pesci's involvement was kind of fun.

5/8

Every time I see Joe Pesci now it makes me want to watch Jersey Boys.

55 Days at Peking (1963) - It had the feel and sound of a Hollywood epic. Set during the Boxer Rebellion (1900) depicts the European, Japanese, Russian and American missions in Beijing under siege for 55 days. It is not the best film depicting Sino-European conflicts of the early 20th century as Steve McQueen's Sand Pebbles is a much better film which came out three years later.

5/8

Sand Pepples was a good flick. I think I reviewed that last year. Not much of that Western-Asian history covered in high school. Kind of goes from Perry to Pearl Harbor in a page. Even less Chinese specific.

So, this past weekend, I and my wife had a rare treat, we actually went to the theater to see a movie. We went to the Esquire in the Clifton gaslight district and saw Fatima. It being an "art house" theater, the showing of most films are not really crowded. That was the case with the showing we attended. The theater took appropriate COVID precautions and there were only a dozen people at this showing.

I hate "Christian" anything. I claim to be a Christian and a devote Catholic, but "Christian" music and films seem hackneyed and contrived. A song or film by serious artists that happen to address the human condition and spirituality are great (my favorite song within which I see a Christian message is John Mellencamp's Check it Out). Fatima is a serious film made by serious artists that addresses a serious and world impacting spiritual event.

It is serendipitous that the prior movie we saw in theaters was back in February when we saw 1917. Fatima also happens in 1917 and is directly related to the horrors of WWI. The miraculous aspects of the story are depicted in as human and natural a way as possible given what was described as happening. The simple message of peace and love and the end to war is moving as is the humility of Sister Lucia as she good naturedly jousts with a skeptic author who interviews her late in her life.

One of the most endearing things about the film are the child actors who give a natural and wide eyed performance displaying all of the fear, wonder and innocence of the three sainted children. The girl that plays young Lucia is especially good and gives a complex and nuanced performance worthy of a much older and experienced actor.

7/8

Last edited:
Jurassic Park - 8/8. Probably hadn't watched it in 15 years. One of those rare movies from childhood that's better as an adult. Fun to pick up on themes you couldn't as a kid.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park - 6/8. As Hollywood sequels go, this is one of the better ones. There was a great movie here that was ruined by poor characterizations and choices that don't make any sense other than to create a death scenario.

Newman gets slurped.

Einstein and Eddington 6/8 Since we're in The Great War time zone... before Einstein got famous and how he got there. Balances several yin and yangs. Newton vs. Einstein. Science for Peace vs. Science for War. Imperial Power vs. wanna-be imperial power.

The Baby Sitter- Killer Queen- 5/8. Sequel to NFLX original, actually not bad at all. It’s clearly meant to be tongue in cheek in reference to the Horror Genre. As long as you don’t go in thinking this movie is meant to be taken seriously, it’s an entertaining 90 minutes

Santo vs. la hija de Frankestein (Mexico-1972)

Lucha Libre Horror: "Santo vs Frankenstein's Daughter" ... Santo runs into the Frankenstein's monster and figures out that the daughter wants his blood for a serum. This one was a dud as it just went around in circles..... 2.0/8