What Movies Did You Watch In September 2019?

vamp2syd

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

#3930 Aurora (Philippines-2018) ... 4.0/8

Emelie (US-2015) ... 4.0/8

All Light Will End (US-2018) ... 4.5/8

Await Further Instructions (UK-2018) ... 5.0/8

St. Agatha (US-2018) ... 3.5/8

The Eyes of my Mother (US-2016) ... 4.0/8

He's Out There (US-2018) ... 4.5/8

Mata Batin (Indonesia-2017) ... aka The Third Eye ... 4.5/8

Ghost House (Thailand-2017) ... 4.0/8

Mara (US-2018) ... 3.5/8

Last edited:

Aurora (Philippines-2018)

Horror: The ship Aurora has wrecked on rocks on the shore on an island. Many are missing and it is up to an island woman to wait for the bodies to wash ashore. This one gets a bit creepy but nothing special.... 4.0/8

Emelie (2015)

Horror: A babysitter terrorizes the kids she is sitting. This one definitely crosses boundaries but too much did not make sense.... 4.0/8

All Light Will End (2018)

Horror: A young author is haunted by her past in a night of terror partying with friends... 4.5/8

The Hustle (2019) 2/8-Anne Hathaway trains Rebel Wilson to be a better con artist, until they find out the con is on them. Not very good, a few laughs, but that's about it.

The Curse of La Llorona (2019) 4/8-the ghost of a woman who killed her own kids walks the earth searching for young children to replace her's. A little better than I expected. A couple of good scares and a cameo made by Annabelle

Cross of Iron (1977) 6/8 I didn't even know there was an American movie about the Eastern Front in WWII. Harrowing, particularly for 1977 standards. I can't think of an American made war movie before this time frame being as bloody, noting that Deer Hunter and Apocalyse Now were on the horizon but had not yet been released.

I could see why someone would say this is a terrible movie and another person would say it's a terrific movie. I thought it was terrific. Points lost as the editing could get clunky and James Mason couldn't be bothered to even try to fake a German accent.

The Eyes of my Mother (2016)

Horror: Secluded farm house, terror strikes leaving a young girl to do what needs to be done.... a bit on the strange side.... 4.0/8

St. Agatha (2018)

Horror: 1950's small town Georgia we meet a young pregnant girl named Agatha who arrives at a very strict convent. Something is not right here.... started out decent but fizzled down the stretch ... 3.5/8

Await Further Instructions (UK-2018)

Horror: It is X-Mas time and the family is all together though not getting along .. oh well, that is the least of their troubles as they find themselves trapped in their home.... 5.0/8

The Mule - 4.5/8 Disappointing ending. Moral of story - money cannot buy back time.

Bohemian Rhapsody - 4/8 Rock biopics are tough because they take liberties slamming everything into 2 hours. Malek did not wow me playing Freddie. They overplayed his teeth way too much.

Booksmart: 6.75/8

A coming of age story but unlike most, this one is from a female perspective. Great comedy.
Probably the most pleasant surprise of the year for me. Went in not expecting much, but ended up really enjoying the film. Jonah Hill’s sister is great

Lifeboat (1944) - A Hitchcock wartime drama about a group of survivors of a German u-boat attack in a lifeboat. Tense and dark, enlivened only by the very humorous Hitchcock cameo (my favorite of his famous cameos). John Steinbeck got a writing credit. A performance which surprised me was that of William Bendix who is known best for his radio comedy as the title character in the Life of Riley which I used to listen to back in college on WVXU.

6/8

He's Out There (2018)

Horror: Lake house, mom and two daughters are waiting for daddy to show up to start their vacation but instead some crazed maniac arrives to torture the family.... good ole fun here.... 4.5/8

Mata Batin (Indonesia-2017)

Horror: The dead play havoc on two sisters who move back to their childhood home .... 4.5/8

American Factory -- 7/8

American Factory - 7/8

Really eye opening. Did not know about this until you posted. Thanks.

Wheaties - W-E-E-T-E-E-S.

Seeing the Chinese factory and how most do not take but maybe a handful of days off a year is insane. No safety. Tough to compete with an economy that is rigged to beat us. I also find it hilarious how some American's equate Unions to Communism but Communism will not allow Unions.

American Factory - 7/8

Really eye opening. Did not know about this until you posted. Thanks.

Wheaties - W-E-E-T-E-E-S.

Seeing the Chinese factory and how most do not take but maybe a handful of days off a year is insane. No safety. Tough to compete with an economy that is rigged to beat us. I also find it hilarious how some American's equate Unions to Communism but Communism will not allow Unions.

I didn't give a second thought about watching it until I saw a tweet or something about it being about the former GM plant turned Fuyao Glass factory in Dayton.

Definitely eye opening and it went into much deeper detail about cultural differences and challenges in the workplace than I expected. The difference in attitudes about labor is insane. I got sucked into it the moment the energetic furnace worker rolled up his sleeves and just casually started talking about all of the burns and scars he's accumulated over the years. Same with the guys at the Chinese factory lining up pre-shift and following a daily set of procedures/rituals like it was a boot camp platoon lineup and drill.

It definitely paints a bleak picture of competing against a fanatical workplace culture where the majority seems to have readily accepted having 12 hour shifts with maybe 2-3 days off a month and virtual no safety and environmental standards, with the end goal being improving the state/society as opposed to the individual. I definitely found an ironic hilarity in how Chinese communism has such little regard for laborers and standards/regulations that it would make even the most stringent American conservative or libertarian do some serious soul searching.

Last edited:
They're about a generation and a half from an agricultural mindset. And that's not heavy machine mindset. That's thousands walking along country roads pulling carts or next to animals pulling carts with produce. Carrying turd buckets over their shoulders.... They're not working much differently than what was post 1900s America. As with everything else, they will catch up fast realizing they want safety and a personal life or they will go through a very dangerous internal strife. I suspect that even the leaders and dogmatics have begun to see too much of the comfortable life to let that happen.

Ultimately, they have much less land for their populace than we do. The countries surrounding have also made enough industrial progress to be too dangerous for China to try and take. S. China sea continues to be a concern, how far they'll go to take or share. They're making in-roads into Africa and ME for materials to sustain their growth. That's the danger, not the "labor" competition.

This obviously needs to roll over to the debate forum but watching that reminded me of pre-unionization and later OHSA. The difference is they have a greater risk and more government push-back to ever fighting back for any kind of workers rights. Working 7 days a week, 12 hours a day, for pennies on the dollar, and only taking off 2-3 days a year is insane to anyone from this country. We are talking about a Communist country that does not allow free speech (no Google) and who ethnically cleanses people on a daily basis. The thought was Capitalism would take hold and force more openness and it has to a degree but the Communist government will never allow any kind of democratic system.

This obviously needs to roll over to the debate forum but watching that reminded me of pre-unionization and later OHSA. The difference is they have a greater risk and more government push-back to ever fighting back for any kind of workers rights. Working 7 days a week, 12 hours a day, for pennies on the dollar, and only taking off 2-3 days a year is insane to anyone from this country. We are talking about a Communist country that does not allow free speech (no Google) and who ethnically cleanses people on a daily basis. The thought was Capitalism would take hold and force more openness and it has to a degree but the Communist government will never allow any kind of democratic system.

Our country shot down union workers. You can see a memorial to some almost buried in some weeds in the near north end. We don't got a high road here.

Our country shot down union workers. You can see a memorial to some almost buried in some weeds in the near north end. We don't got a high road here.
When was that? Certainly the Ohio National Guard and Pinkerton guards have things to be ashamed of 100 years ago. Kentucky was even worse with the Harlan County War and other violent responses to labor strikes. All in all, we have come a long way and maybe the pendulum has swung too far the other way.

As far as China is concerned, watch Hong Kong if you want any hope of reform in China. They know they cannot kill the "golden goose".

I know this. We can vote. They cannot.
Join the party, they get to vote. We don't vote. What was the turn-out for the lection Tues? Did it even reach double digits? I'm just saying, we don't have a high road. China will do for their workers in a couple generations what we took 100 years to do. Or they will implode.

Last edited:
Bill Burr Paper Tiger: 6.5/8. Not quite to the level of Chappelle’s Special, still great.

Two Mules For Sister Sara (1970) ... 3.0/8

The Mule (2018) ... 4.0/8 (lazy script)

Extract (2009) ... 3.0/8 (love Bateman but just could not get into this one)

5/8 the last two Lord of the Ring movies. I'm sure it is glorious on the big screen but I don't have that. Kind of cool when Jack Sparrow showed up though. Pretty much repeated last second cavalry tropes to the point I just wanted them to get on with it and Gollum wore on my patience. A wizard dumb enough to set his place up below a damn and a King that wants to meet giant elephants head-on when he's only 200 yards from flanking them. BUT of course they were rescued by a last second cavalry of Sparrow's troops and if that wasn't enough, a last second cavalry of eagles. The bad guy wasn't even in the movie. The last 40-50 minutes took days.

When The Game Stands Tall: 5/8

Man, it would have been cool had it been Elder to end the streak.
In all fairness, they did end the longest streak that followed.

I’d also say that movie ignores a lot for the story. The DLS team that beat Poly maybe didn’t have as many D1 prospects, but they were still loaded. They also happened to have Maurice Jones Drew, who was the best player on the field that game.