What Movies Did You Watch In September 2019?

Once Upon a Time In Hollywood (2019) 5/8 I thought Dicaprio and Pitt were outstanding. Not sure about the movie as a whole. I'm going to need to watch it again. I've enjoyed several of Tarantino's movies (Hateful Eight, Deathproof, and Inglorious Bastards) a lot more the second and third time around.

It (2018) 5.5/8 Watched it again before I go see part two. Still solid, maybe even a little better the second time around. Kid from Stranger Things is outstanding in this one.

Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle - 5/8

Mrs. Zunardo forced me to watch this on our DVD night, since it was her turn to pick. Wasn't looking forward to it, but turned to be just enough re-working and updating the concept for me to enjoy it.

I had already pre-judged the movie from the ads a few years ago, thinking Jack Black was going to play the Van Pelt character as if the title should be "Jumanji: The Return Of Nacho Libre". But when I'm wrong, I'm wrong. He did a decent job actually under-playing a character, while playing the "hot self-absorbed chick" as an overweight middle-aged man.

Might have given it a 5.5 or even a 6 if this had carried the same sharp emotional pain of the original, knowing that Robin Williams' character had been sucked in as a scared little boy and essentially been orphaned as he survived and grew up after 25 years. The updated version, showing a similar character ( but who didn't age and didn't seem to have a sense of the passage of time), didn't quite have the same angst.

Oh well. At the least The Rock still can emote an eyebrow with the best of them.

The Goldfinch - 6/8

A very slow burn. Beautifully shot. Doesn’t beat you over the head with exposition.

The acting was the weak point for me. I think it may have been a problem with direction because everyone seemed pretty flat.

Most of criticisms I’ve read I didn’t share, but I’ve not read the book.

Flew to and from Italy this month so had time on the plane to watch movies.

Vice (2018)- Bio-pic about Dick Cheney. Really good movie. 7/8

Creed 2 (2018)- another Rocky movie. As much as I want to, I can't help but feel like a 12 year old watching the original Rocky when I watch movies like this. Entertaining movie. 5/8

Rocketman (2019)- Elton John movie. Entertaining but the heavy emphasis on the music with dialogue breaking out into song made it feel like the bastard child of Mamma Mia and Bohemian Rhapsody. 5/8

Free Solo (2018)- documentary about the loon who climbed El Capitan without climbing equipment. Unbelievable photography. 6/8.

Stormy Weather (1943): 8/8 Saw a clickbate of the Nicholas Brothers' dance routine, reminded me it'd been a long time since I seen the movie. Every bit as good as ever. Lena Horne can't act but... who cares. Bojangles, you'd have to cheat to know how old he is in this movie. Cab Calloway looking every bit the Looney Tune character from my youth. The action doesn't stop long enough to realize almost noone can act. Besides, the personalities are terrific and the story is fun.

Mara (2018)

Horror: A criminal psychologist discovers a demon that kills its victim when they are asleep... 3.5/8

Ghost House (Thailand-2018)

Horror: Vacationers in Thailand get tricked and are now cursed by a spirit... 4.0/8

Peanut Butter Falcon - Fine movie. Shia LaBeouf and newcomer Zack Gottsagen have the right chemistry and warmth and appear perfectly natural. Bruce Dern's small role was a delight. Dakota Johnson gives an adequate performance in a more limited role. Think of it as a much brighter version of Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men.

6.5/8

Remember who you're talking to. Did "The Favorite" have graphic beheadings? Strobing lights and shadows? Bathroom scenes?

now that would of improved it .... nothing like a good beheading.... . or at least if you are going to have a lesbian scene lets get some hot ladies to do it!!!!

Once Upon a Time In Hollywood (2019) 5/8 I thought Dicaprio and Pitt were outstanding. Not sure about the movie as a whole. I'm going to need to watch it again. I've enjoyed several of Tarantino's movies (Hateful Eight, Deathproof, and Inglorious Bastards) a lot more the second and third time around.

It (2018) 5.5/8 Watched it again before I go see part two. Still solid, maybe even a little better the second time around. Kid from Stranger Things is outstanding in this one.
Once upon a time in Hollywood gets a 0 of 8 from me.
HORRIBLE.

Possibly seeing Rambo tonight.........

Drumline (2002) 5/8 Nick Cannon plays an incoming freshman at an HBCU who's a drummer on the school's marching band. He runs into some trouble and then redeems himself later in the story for a feel good ending.

Really looking forward to The Joker. Going to see Hustlers tonight. Even if it sucks its a bunch of hot actresses, playing strippers, walking around half naked for 2 hours. I figure there are worse ways to spend a Friday night date night.

Hustlers (2019) 3/8 A little slow and too drawn out. Probably could have been 20 minutes shorter. JLO is something special to look at especially at 50. I was a little disappointed she didn't go full Demi Moore like striptease.