What Movies Did You Watch In October 2020?

Interview with the Vampire: 5.5/8. Solid but forgettable. Pitt and Cruise were fine in this. Worth watching if you’ve never seen it but don’t expect to be blown away.

Downhill: 1/10
What did I just watch? How can Will Ferrell and Julia Louis-Dreyfus make such a dud of movie? Was it supposed to be funny or was it just supposed to be 90 minutes of boredom? Dewine's weekly covid update is more entertaining.

The Grudge (2004) ... 6.5/8
The Grudge 2 (2006) ... 6.5/8

This was the 3rd time seeing the Grudge and 2nd time watching Grudge 2. Both still hold up well......

Last edited:
Downhill: 1/10
What did I just watch? How can Will Ferrell and Julia Louis-Dreyfus make such a dud of movie? Was it supposed to be funny or was it just supposed to be 90 minutes of boredom? Dewine's weekly covid update is more entertaining.

1/10 .... uh, something is not right here.......

Witches in the Woods (Canada-2019)

Horror: College friends head out to Western Mass for a get together in the mountains but hey, this is a horror movies so something goes terribly wrong. This one was mostly atmospheric and for the most part it worked. Most will likely find it boring but I don't need action so I was fine with it..... 4.5/8

Tenet: 5/8

Man from future sends man (Pattinson) into the present to help his past self stop a mad Russian from obliterating the planet (or the universe; the scope of it wasn’t all that clear) via the transformation (inversion) of enough matter to cause complete annihilation - I guess this works similarly to matter/ anti-matter. To accomplish this, they’re set on a mission to intercept pieces of an algorithm buried in the past by a scientist from the future.

Definitely hard to follow at times with all the inversions, but it’s entertaining, the action sequences were really interesting to watch, as were the shots with inverted time.

I did have some issues with the sound. There were times I found myself wishing I could turn on the subtitles.

Not Nolan’s best. I liked his previous film, Dunkirk, a lot more.

Anyone make it thought Gone With the Wind without a few nod offs? I've never completed the movie. Glory stands on it's own but it doesn't really have a whole lot of competition that I can think of. Read a few "best of" sites to remind myself but without including Burn's documentary, I wasn't particularly impressed by those named other than Glory.

Some good Civil War era movies like Gangs of New York and Good, Bad and Ugly were mentioned. One I might follow up on and hadn't heard of was Ang Lee's Ride with the Devil.

Scared to Death (1980)

Horror: time for some 80's Cheese and oh boy this creature film hit the spot. An ex detective is back on the case when mysterious murders happen around town.... is it the work of a maniac or some strange creature...... Yes it is bad but it had its moments..... I think, ..... 3.0/8

I don't know if it has been mentioned above, but last night I watched "The Gentlemen." Really enjoyed it, as I do with a lot of Guy Ritchie films.

Anyone make it thought Gone With the Wind without a few nod offs? I've never completed the movie. Glory stands on it's own but it doesn't really have a whole lot of competition that I can think of. Read a few "best of" sites to remind myself but without including Burn's documentary, I wasn't particularly impressed by those named other than Glory.

Some good Civil War era movies like Gangs of New York and Good, Bad and Ugly were mentioned. One I might follow up on and hadn't heard of was Ang Lee's Ride with the Devil.
Gone With the Wind is not my favorite Civil War movie, but is one of my favorite movies. You have to admit the Rhett and Scarlett characters are interesting, even though the whole Scarlett/Ashley thing is a bit tedious and hard to understand. The crushing and rebirth of half of our nation is compelling drama, even though the "lost cause" theme is outdated. Those are my two cents on the story. Now, the film craft is astounding, for the time, and, for all time.

I have seen it half a dozen times. Once on the big screen. I don't feel I can grade it for this thread as I have not seen it this month, but, what the heck: 7.5/8.

Gone With the Wind is not my favorite Civil War movie, but is one of my favorite movies. You have to admit the Rhett and Scarlett characters are interesting

I don't usually get put to sleep by interesting. I wouldn't find a character like Scarlett interesting in any movie, acted by any actor. Not the type of personality I feel need to explore or understand. I generally need to see some likeable features to enjoy a character or at the least, they get the deserving painful death and there are other enjoyable characters. Neither was the case here.

I'm with EIB. Could never get through Gone With the Wind. Same with the English Patient. Me and Elaine have something in common.

Peanut Butter Falcon - 5/8 - Shia LeBeouf plays a crabber in the intercoastal waters of N. Carolina who struggles to hold down his job while pissing off rivals. After burning up a rivals gear he goes on the run and teams up with a young man with down syndrome who escaped from his old folks home in order to go to the Salt Water Redneck school of wrestling. The two bond as LeBeouf helps him get there on his way to Florida. Needed to develop the characters a bit more. Bruce Dern is in the movie. Can never get enough of Bruce Dern.

Free State of Jones - 5/8 - Story of Newton Knight. Not bad, just long. Wooderson does a really good job playing Knight IMO.

Saw "Ava" this week, a movie about a female contract killer. Movie had a lot of big names: Jessica Chastain (sp?), John Malkovich, Collin Farrell, and a blast from the past Geena Davis. Much better than I expected. I'd give it a solid 6/8.

Seven (1995) 5/8 Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt play homicide detectives tracking a serial killer (Kevin Spacey) who is killing people based on the 7 deadly sins. The ending really makes this movie. It gets pretty slow, then really picks up about the last 20 minutes.

Honest Thief (2020) 3.5/8 Liam Neeson plays an aging bank robber who has never been caught. He falls in love with a woman and decides to return all the money he's stolen and come clean. Two corrupt FBI agents throw a wrench in his plans and his plan goes off the rails. Not terrible but a kind of silly premise. If you like the movies that Neeson has put out the last 10-15 years, it's probably worth seeing.

Ugetsu (Japan-1953)

Horror: We are in the 16th Century in Japan at the midst of a civil war where two families must decide rather to risk a chance at wealth or run for safety. This is one of those lessons be taught and beautifully shot but something was just not right for me.... Not sure why I did not love this one but overall it was alright..... 4.0/8

Elves (1989)

Horror: Oh boy, 80's cheese!!!!! We have an elf and only one elf so not sure why the title is plural.... anyhoot this elf must find the chosen virgin and mate with her on X-mas eve!!!!! Whoa is that hot blonde the virgin and why does she leave the bathroom door open while taking a shower knowing that her little brother who admits liking big t**s will spy on her. Lot to like here right? Well, no..... they blew it..... 3.0/8

They Found Hell (2015)

Horror: Hello, where is the beginning... this one starts out in the middle as a group of apparently really smart kids have somehow built a portal and find themselves in a Hell like dwelling witnessing a lot of sick things..... No character development = I don't give a crap. .... 2.0/8

The Monster Squad (1987)

Family Horror: Well, a friend of mine told me because of who I am that I would not like this movie .... So, I found the movie and watched it determined to like it..... I did not .... I guess he was right. You've probably all seen this one but just in case it is a bunch of kids forming a monster squad and then when real monsters show up they must battle the evil to save the world....... 3.0/8

The Monster Squad (1987)

Family Horror: Well, a friend of mine told me because of who I am that I would not like this movie .... So, I found the movie and watched it determined to like it..... I did not .... I guess he was right. You've probably all seen this one but just in case it is a bunch of kids forming a monster squad and then when real monsters show up they must battle the evil to save the world....... 3.0/8

Loved this movie when I was a kid. Still love the line "Wolfmans got nards!" LOL I'm sure I wouldn't enjoy nearly as much these days.

House of a 1000 Corpses (2003) 6/8 Rob Zombie's first effort as a horror movie director. I like this whole trilogy that follows the Firefly family, a family of serial killers who prey of tourist and provide victims to the evil Dr. Satan. This would probably be an 8/8 for me if it didn't take a "Mad Max" like turn towards the end. Captain Spaulding is one of my favorite horror movie characters of all time.

Reservoir Dogs (1992) 7.5/8 One of Tarantino's best in my opinion. Great cast, great script, well made. Only thing that keeps it from being an 8/8 is that it is not Pulp Fiction.

Reservoir Dogs (1992) 7.5/8 One of Tarantino's best in my opinion. Great cast, great script, well made. Only thing that keeps it from being an 8/8 is that it is not Pulp Fiction.
"But I don't want to be Mr. Pink."

Michael Madsen scene with the ear is absolutely classic. If not for Tarantino I'm unsure anyone would have ever used Michael Madsen the same way. He was great as Bud in Kill Bill's as well.

Men of the Fighting Lady (1954) - The rare Korean War film. This one has similarities to The Story of G.I. Joe (1945) in that the focus, or perspective, is of a war correspondent. In this case it was James Michener rather than Erie Pyle as in the earlier film. Michener, as you may know, was the author of a series of very thick books of multigenerational historical fiction (Centennial being my favorite). During WWII and the Korean wars he was a war correspondent. His WWII stories collected in the Tales of the South Pacific (1947) became the basis for the musical South Pacific (play 1949, film 1958).

Anyway, the film was a decent depiction of life on a Korean War aircraft carrier with two main plots, one of which involved a pilot who was blinded in midair and his attempt to safely land, a story based on a real incident.

The film is a who's who of 1940s-1950s character actors. The only two "leading man" types in the film were the perennial man in uniform, Van Johnson, and Walter Pidgeon, both acting in a supporting role in this large ensemble cast. Look for Jerry Mathers as the Beaver, no wait...as little Richard Dodson.

A lot of well worn stereotypes but all in all a decent war movie.

5/8