What Movies Did You Watch In October 2020?

Lost Command (1966) - I was very disappointed in this film. I was interested in it because I like Anthony Quinn and it sounded interesting as it is about a French Foreign Legion battalion which suffers defeat in French Indo-china (Vietnam) and then faces a revolution in French North Africa. Instead I found the story contrived, the acting bad and the message very confused.

3/8
Battle of Algiers does a much better job of covering some of the same events.

Last Hurrah (1958) 7/8
A great look at what American urban politics was. Frank Skeffington (based on James Curley) is making his last run for mayor of an unnamed city which is obviously Boston at a time when political campaigning has just entered the television age. Spenser Tracy does a great job of playing a roguish but good hearted political pro. A little heavy on the Irish stereotypes but that can be expected in a John Ford film.

That was such a fun, goofy movie. I had the comic book of it when I was in middle school.
And Annette was just yummy. You had to dig the guy in the RF hat too (Rat Fink for the uninitiated, it had to do with Kustom Kulture, but that's another story all together).

Howling (1981) - Not my favorite wolfman film, but entertaining and very funny at times. Acting wasn't very good. Dee Wallace did a much better job in E.T. which she made just a year later.

5/8

The Trial of the Chicago 7 (2020)- I watched this on Netflix last night. It is a historical legal drama about the Chicago Seven and Bobbly Seale and their anti–Vietnam War protest at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago. It has a very good ensemble cast including of all people Sasha Baron Cohen as Abby Hoffman. 6.5/8. Well worth a watch.
Do any of you remember Abbie Hoffman's book called "Steal This Book"? A counterculture/anarchists instructional handbook. It was in a lot of the college dorm rooms back in the seventies. How to grow marijuana. How to make a Molotov cocktail. etc.

Do any of you remember Abbie Hoffman's book called "Steal This Book"? A counterculture/anarchists instructional handbook. It was in a lot of the college dorm rooms back in the seventies. How to grow marijuana. How to make a Molotov cocktail. etc.

41f9RSix5yL._SX304_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Halloween (1978) - So, as anyone who reads these threads may know, I have a varied interest in films. I have had two blind spots however. I have generally avoided 007 movies (may Sean Connery rest in peace) and slasher films. So, I have not watched Halloween until last night. I was pleasantly surprised that there was not a lot of graphic violence. It was much more subtle than I thought it would be. Jamie Lee Curtis had a good performance as did Donald Pleasence, who I had only seen in the past in the The Great Escape (1963). P.J. Soles has her normal bad performance, but still showed her considerable charm that makes you forget she cannot act. There were many moments of stupidity, like Jamie Lee's refusal to keep the knife, instead dropping it next to Myers so that he can get up and go after her again. Then there is the closing scene that shows the knife in the living room, when we had just seen it in Myers hand in the bedroom upstairs.

Still not a fan but it was an ok movie to watch on Halloween.

5/8

Last edited:
Halloween (1978) - There was many moments of stupidity,

5/8

Wouldn't be a slasher film without. Halloween is probably the only slasher I've watched beginning to end until Get Out but I know the pattern. There's a recent commercial makes me laugh. "can't we just get in the running car?" "NO!" lol

Halloween (1978) - So, as anyone who reads these threads may know, I have a varied interest in films. I have had two blind spots however. I have generally avoided 007 movies (may Sean Connery rest in peace) and slasher films. So, I have not watched Halloween until last night. I was pleasantly surprised that there was not a lot of graphic violence. It was much more subtle than I thought it would be. Jamie Lee Curtis had a good performance as did Donald Pleasence, who I had only seen in the past in the The Great Escape (1963). P.J. Soles has her normal bad performance, but still showed her considerable charm that makes you forget she cannot act. There were many moments of stupidity, like Jamie Lee's refusal to keep the knife, instead dropping it next to Myers so that he can get up and go after her again. Then there is the closing seen that shows the knife in the living room, when we had just seen it in Myers hand in the bedroom upstairs.

Still not a fan but it was an ok movie to watch on Halloween.

5/8
I never liked horror movies either, but my friends drug me to see Halloween when it came out in 1978. It did scare me somewhat back then...now it seems very tame. Halloween was known for scaring people without a whole lot of gore. It was also famous for its low budget and all the mistakes in the movie. People would watch the film just to see how many obvious mistakes they could find, such as it's set in small town in Illinois, but all the cars had California plates.

I never liked horror movies either, but my friends drug me to see Halloween when it came out in 1978. It did scare me somewhat back then...now it seems very tame. Halloween was known for scaring people without a whole lot of gore. It was also famous for its low budget and all the mistakes in the movie. People would watch the film just to see how many obvious mistakes they could find, such as it's set in small town in Illinois, but all the cars had California plates.
Or that in certain scenes you can see palm trees. Or how they had to bring in fake leaves to make it look like October 31st in Illinois while all of the trees were fully green. When Michael Meyers jumps on the car and smashes the window you can see a crescent wrench taped to his forearm. The mask used by Meyers is supposedly a Captain Kirk mask with the eye holes widened out.

I was never into horror slasher flicks but decided to watch Halloween roughly 10 years ago and loved it for several reasons. It was the start of the slasher flicks. Lots of copycats and spoofs based on this film. It was low budget and they managed to pull it off and John Carpenter was the jack-of-all trades for this movie - writer, producer, music, etc. They could only afford one big name and they went after Donald Pleasance who really makes the movie go (almost a hidden narrator). And every year when I attend a HS football game on or near Halloween a band is playing that creepy unconventional theme song that Carpenter himself came up with.

Halloween mistakes " cliff notes".

For some reason, my better half won't let me watch horror movies. ?