What Movies Did You Watch In October 2019?

vamp2syd

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

#3940 I'll Take Your Dead (Canada-2018) ... 4.0/8

House of the Witch (US-2017) ... 5.0/8

The Devil's Messenger (Sweden-1961) ... 4.0/8

#3943 Black Noon (US-1971) ... 3.0/8

#3944 The Sandman (US-2017) ... 3.0/8

#3945 La Bestia Uccide a Sangue Freddo (Italy-1971) ... aka Cold Blooded Beast ... 6.0/8

#3946 Joker (US-2019) ... 7.0/8

#3947 The Hitcher 2: I've Been Waiting (US-2003) ... 3.0/8

#3948 Neverknock (Canada-2017) ... 4.0/8

#3949 The Ring 3: Rings (US-2017) ... 3.5/8

#3950 The Dungeon of Harrow (US-1962) ... 2.0/8

#3951 Ominous (US-2015) ... 3.0/8

#3952 The Final Wish (US-2018) ... 4.5/8

#3953 L'etrusco Uccide Ancora (Italy-1972) ... aka The Dead are Alive ... 3.0/8

#3954 I Spit On Your Grave 2 (US-2013) ... 4.5/8

#3955 Leprechaun 7: Origins (US-2014) ... 3.0/8

#3956 Maggie (US-2015) ... 4.5/8

#3957 Little Monsters (Australia-2019) ... 4.0/8

#3958 Nightmare Shark (US-2018) ... 2.0/8

#3959 A Quiet Place (US-2018) ... 5.0/8

#3960 Finders Keepers (US-2014) ... 4.5/8

#3961 Ju-on 7: Owari No Hojimari (Japan-2014) ... 6.5/8

Last edited:

My favorite month....... I will hopefully be watching 1 horror movie a night until the end of the month!!!!!

1st Night....

I'll Take Your Dead (Canada-2018)

Horror: It is a cold snowy night as 3 rough looking individuals show up at a farmhouse with a delivery .... Well, it's not really about them but about a man and his daughter and what he does to make ends meet.... 4.0/8

Support Your Local Sheriff (1969) - Smart and funny, James Garner had the attitude of his Maverick tv show anti-hero. Harry Morgan plays a prominent role and Bruce Dern is funny as a moron of a bad guy. Walter Brennan is also a hoot playing a parody of his usual film characters.

5/8

2nd night.....

House of the Witch (2017)

Horror: It is Halloween and the kiddies are back from College and decide to hang out at the old abandoned Witch House. Uhh, not a good idea.... anyhow not too bad for a low budget been done before flick.... 5.0/8

I Spit On Your Grave (2010) 5/8 I've never seen the original so I have no basis for comparison, but I thought this was pretty good. A young woman is brutally gang raped and she returns to seek revenge on the assailants. Took it a little while to get rolling, but once it did, it was pretty good.

North Dallas Forty (1979) 4/8 Supposedly loosely based on the Cowboys teams of the 70's. Nick Nolte is pretty good in the lead role. Entertaining but not great.

I Spit On Your Grave (2010) 5/8 I've never seen the original so I have no basis for comparison, but I thought this was pretty good. A young woman is brutally gang raped and she returns to seek revenge on the assailants. Took it a little while to get rolling, but once it did, it was pretty good.

The original also known as "Day Of The Woman" is very brutal especially the very long rape scene. It is a shock film and that is its purpose. Some call it the worst movie ever .... hmmm, I wonder if they have ever seen "Gummo" ! If you like the older shock value films like "Last House On The Left", "Cannibal Holocaust", "Cannibal Ferox" then give it a go otherwise you won't like it.

I liked both films.

3rd night

The Devil's Messenger (Sweden-1961)

Horror Anthology: This is basically 3 episodes of an old Swedish show but they shot scenes with Lon Chaney as the Devil to connect the stories. The Photograph, The Girl in the Glacier, and Condemned in Crystal are merged.... I liked the first and 3rd story but did not care for the 2nd.... 4.0/8

TCM showing some pretty good horror tonight (Thursday)

Horror Hotel
The Devil's Own
Suspiria
Night of Dark Shadows
Haxan

Last edited:
Joker: 6.5/8

A bit uneven which is probably why you see a wide range of reviews.

The first 45 minutes or so are almost kind of boring but then it kicks into high gear and pays off the setup of the first hour.

Phoenix is great both as Arthur, and Joker. I had some issues with his Joker though. Not how he portrayed him, like I said he was great, but there are some personality traits he embraces as the Joker that he showed no hint of as Arthur. It’s like he became an entirely different character for the last party of the movie. That character was great, but it wasn’t consistent with what had led up to it.

For me personally, I still prefer Heath Ledger’s Joker, though Phoenix’s might be a close second. Like Ledger’s, you find yourself at times wondering if that’s the same actor behind the paint. I just prefer Ledger’s “Agent of Chaos” Joker to Phoenix’s portrayal which I can’t even give a good definition to yet. “Insanely Sane”?

Phoenix will definitely be nominated for the role.

Last edited:
Corrigador (1943) - Great subject, bad soap opera. What should have been a compelling story of men fighting a losing battle in order to delay the Japanese conquest of the far East is hampered by poor military authenticity, below average acting and a melodramatic romance.

3/8

Last edited:
Joker: 6.5/8

A bit uneven which is probably why you see a wide range of reviews.

The first 45 minutes or so are almost kind of boring but then it kicks into high gear and pays off the setup of the first hour.

Phoenix is great both as Arthur, and Joker. I had some issues with his Joker though. Not how he portrayed him, like I said he was great, but there are some personality traits he embraces as the Joker that he showed no hint of as Arthur. It’s like he became an entirely different character for the last party of the movie. That character was great, but it wasn’t consistent with what had led up to it.

For me personally, I still prefer Heath Ledger’s Joker, though Phoenix’s might be a close second. Like Ledger’s, you find yourself at times wondering if that’s the same actor behind the paint. I just prefer Ledger’s “Agent of Chaos” Joker to Phoenix’s portages which I can’t even give a good definition to yet. “Insanely Sane”?

Phoenix will definitely be nominated for the role.

It is an easy and fun role to play for any actor. I thought Jack Nicholson was great as was Jared Leto. I really thought Ledger did great and am sure I will like Phoenix's portrayal but everyone makes such a big deal about the performance of an otherwise very easy role to embrace (eccentric crazy).

With that said I appreciate your synopsis and still look forward to seeing the movie. ;)

Joker: 7/8

Phoenix was phenomenal as both Arthur and Joker. Good story setup and even better finish over the last hour or so.

The Program: 2/8. Literally, the only good scene in an otherwise bland, predictable movie:

The Wrestler (2008) 7/8 Mickey Rourke plays an aging wrestler who was once the Heavyweight Champ and now travels the independent circuit. After some health issues he starts dealing with the possibility of retirement and life after wrestling. Rourke is great. Marissa Tomei plays an aging stripper dealing with some of the same issues. Really good movie.

Joker (2019) 8/8 I thought it was great. Phoenix was awesome and I love that it left you kind of wondering what you just saw. Comic book purist probably hate it, but fanboys always take this stuff too serious. Definitely one of the best new movies I've seen in some time

Joker (2019) 8/8 I thought it was great. Phoenix was awesome and I love that it left you kind of wondering what you just saw. Comic book purist probably hate it, but fanboys always take this stuff too serious. Definitely one of the best new movies I've seen in some time
6.8/8. It was very good, no doubt, but not ready to give it a 7plus...

Straight outta Compton. 7/8. Great flick. Watching it I wonder, without interwebs, with no radio play, how did this JH cracker even Kno about them and become a fan way over here in rural, conservative cowtown ohia.

Straight outta Compton. 7/8. Great flick. Watching it I wonder, without interwebs, with no radio play, how did this JH cracker even Kno about them and become a fan way over here in rural, conservative cowtown ohia.

Heller was the manager for World Class Wrecking Cru which included Dr. Dre and DJ Yella before NWA. Eazy E actually paid a guy named Lonzo Williams (the leader of the Cru) $750 to introduce him to Heller and the rest is history. Heller took a lot of flack for cheating the guys in NWA but Eazy was just as complicate. The movie kind of twist it a bit towards the end and makes Eazy look like a victim too, but that was never really the case.

2nd night.....

House of the Witch (2017)

Horror: It is Halloween and the kiddies are back from College and decide to hang out at the old abandoned Witch House. Uhh, not a good idea.... anyhow not too bad for a low budget been done before flick.... 5.0/8
I just watched this on Netflix two nights ago. Meh. The ending was kinda cool, I guess, but like you said, it's been done before. Whenever we're talking about ghosts or supernatural powers, ANYTHING is possible, which makes it too predictable and unrealistic (I know, that's funny coming from a horror film fanatic), but it was kinda like that.

ssshhhh, I am not really suppose to be on here since my mental breakdown and deep depression but hey, who wants to be a zombie anyhow.... I'll take crazy anytime..... well, my buddies tried to cheer me up and took me to go see a movie. huh, gee, what movie will they take me to.... lol, you got it... Joker. Well, I had to quickly erase my mind of everything I knew about the Joker which by the way is my favorite character out of Batman and a huge Jack (Joker) fan for any hope of enjoying this one.... well, kiddies I loved it. It was dark and right up my alley and since it had no super heroes in it I can actually classify it as a horror which makes it even that much greater!!!!

Joker (2019) ... 7.0/8

Sin City (2005) 5.5/8 I had never seen this before and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. All-star cast, pretty cool story lines but a little slow in places. I thought the mix of animation and live action was pretty cool. The story line with Mickey Rourke's character was awesome too. You usually can't go wrong when Robert Rodriquez and Tarrantino work together.

Black Noon (1971)

Horror: A minister and his wife end up in a small wild west town to recover from injuries when a villain named Noon shows up and causes issues..... 3.0/8

La Bestia Uccide a Sangue Freddo (Italy-1971)

Horror: Where to start with this one.... well, simply put this is about an institution for mentally disturbed women who are quite well off.... the problem is that for some reason we have a bunch of dungeon torture devices as well as swords, axes, and all of those good ole weaponry just sitting around for no other reason than for a disturbed killer to have some fun. Oh boy, fun... these girls like to have some sexy fun. I saw the longest uncut version of this film at 97 minutes and just like other old Italian shock horror this one comes with different titles of the cut versions.... so if you come across Slaughter Hotel, Asylum Erotica, or Cold Blooded Beast beware... the goodies are left out. The ending is amazing!!!!! .... 6.0/8

The Hitcher 2: I've Been Waiting (20013)

Horror: Well, the young man from the first flick is now an ex cop traveling through the same area with his wife when sure enough events repeat themselves. Not very good.... 3.0/8