What Movies Did You Watch In November 2019?

My Super Psycho Sweet 16 (2009)

Horror: This one was requested for me to watch.... it had the MTV logo on it and I despise that company but any hoot I gave it a shot. It is the very rich spoiled girl's 16th birthday and she throws a bash at an abandoned roller skating rink that was a scene to a mass murder 10 years prior.... well, history is going to repeat itself!!!!! This was actually a fun film for what it is worth and their are 2 sequels to go with it that I will have to check out in the future..... 4.5/8

Ju-on 8: Za Fainaru (Japan-2015)

Horror: A woman tries to figure out what happened to her sister after visiting the home of Toshio. This one parallels Ju-on 2 and is known as the Final Curse... well, that is yet to be seen as an American version of Ju-on 7 is coming out soon.... Ju-on 8 is not the best of the series but still good.

This is how I would rate the 11 Grudge movies

Ju-on 1
Ju-on 3
The Grudge (US)
Ju-on 7
The Grudge 2 (US)
Ju-on 4
Ju-on 2
Ju-on 5
Ju-on 6
Ju-on 8
The Grudge 3 (US)

The Grudge 4 (US) ????? not out yet
I really liked The Grudge and heard the Ju-on movies were really good but haven't seen them. Sounds like you recommend!

I really liked The Grudge and heard the Ju-on movies were really good but haven't seen them. Sounds like you recommend!

Of course .... I watched Ju-on 1 thru Ju-on 3 prior to the Grudge movies so it was fresh. One might not get the same take after seeing the Grudge. Prior to Ju-on 1 there was the short films Katasumi and 444-444-4444 these were the building blocks that got Ju-on started.

Mean Streets (1973) 3/8 With Harvey Keitel and Robert Deniro and Scoresese I expected a little more. They play some low level street gangsters trying to make it in NYC. Not much really happened to make it stand out, decent movie but not what I expected.

This one sold me on that one. I did get a chance to read a few British reviews of "The King." The major reasons they did not like the parts they did not like seem to me, it was missing those cliches I mentioned.
Watched The King last night and liked it very much. Their handling of Falstaff was very well done. Of course his character was an invention of Shakespeare but is more a composite than pure fiction. The battle scenes were very well done and really draws you into what it was like to be in a 15th century battle. The film was true to the story as told by Shakespeare. The St. Crispin's Day speech was done in a way that one could believe that it inspired the one Shakespeare wrote for him. Obviously the film could not have him suddenly spout a speech in iambic pentameter.

Let me know what you think of Henry the V (1989).

7/8

Joker: 5/8 Don't go into this one having drunk a pot of coffee.

Started slow but not the reason I deducted points. At one very distinct point, the hiding of the scissors, I thought it became very forced and continued that way until the end. Joker's main story purpose is as an agent of chaos that can only exist because of Batman, yin and yang. I don't see this characterization as the person that could purposefully do that. He's not a presence. He's not a leader. He's not clever. He's not intelligent. He's exactly that overlooked person he self-describes, portrayed exactly in that manner by Phoenix.

Until the handling of the end, this was a great story but there was no reason for this to be a Batman story other than they wanted the vehicle, so they made a tenuous connection.

I certainly had never considered the age difference. This Joker would be well towards his 60s by the time of Batman. I think the tv series Gotham did the back-story as agent of chaos much better, while giving Joker the presence that would make him a capable foe.

Watched The King last night and liked it very much. Their handling of Falstaff was very well done. Of course his character was an invention of Shakespeare but is more a composite than pure fiction. The battle scenes were very well done and really draws you into what it was like to be in a 15th century battle. The film was true to the story as told by Shakespeare. The St. Crispin's Day speech was done in a way that one could believe that it inspired the one Shakespeare wrote for him. Obviously the film could not have him suddenly spout a speech in iambic pentameter.

Let me know what you think of Henry the V (1989).

7/8
I will.

Ju-on 8: Za Fainaru (Japan-2015)

Horror: A woman tries to figure out what happened to her sister after visiting the home of Toshio. This one parallels Ju-on 2 and is known as the Final Curse... well, that is yet to be seen as an American version of Ju-on 7 is coming out soon.... Ju-on 8 is not the best of the series but still good.

This is how I would rate the 11 Grudge movies

Ju-on 1
Ju-on 3
The Grudge (US)
Ju-on 7
The Grudge 2 (US)
Ju-on 4
Ju-on 2
Ju-on 5
Ju-on 6
Ju-on 8
The Grudge 3 (US)

The Grudge 4 (US) ????? not out yet

Coming January 3, 2020:

Also, coming October 16, 2020:

Last edited:
Ford v Ferrari 6/8. I didn’t really know the story and I’m not a race fan but it held my attention and I thought was very well done. Worth seeing.

It’s in Korean. It is also available online in HD with english subtitles
Thanks both. Found it, with the english subs. Bookmarked it to watch when I've enough paying attention energy. Did watch long enough to learn I'm not the only one hangs his socks on a thingy hanging from the ceiling. Ceiling fan doesn't work very well, they keep flying off.

The Shining (1980) 4/8 I was thinking about seeing Doctor Sleep so I thought I would rewatch The Shining. Nicholson is outstanding, but as a whole I didn't love the movie. I hadn't watched it since I was a kid and I remember thinking it was pretty creepy back then, now I just kind of thought it was weird. Not sure about Doctor Sleep now, probably just save my money and wait for the DVD.

The Rock (1996) 4/8 Nicholas Cage and Sean Connery attempt to break IN to Alcatraz to stop a homeland terrorist attack on San Francisco. I hated this movie when it first came out, but it's grown on me over the years. Ed O'neil is great as the "bad guy".

The Outsiders (1983) 5.5/8 My favorite book growing up, I think it's still required reading in Ohio for Jr. High students. The Greasers vs. the Socials, poor vs. rich, a really good story with what has to be one of the best before they were famous cast. Gets a little slow in the middle but overall a good watch.

The Outsiders (1983) 5.5/8 My favorite book growing up, I think it's still required reading in Ohio for Jr. High students. The Greasers vs. the Socials, poor vs. rich, a really good story with what has to be one of the best before they were famous cast. Gets a little slow in the middle but overall a good watch.

NewOldBlood did you watch the original version or the remastered special edition which has an extra 25 minutes? The remastered version was put out by Cappola a few years ago and is called the "Complete Novel". If you read the book it's worth seeing this version as it follows the book almost scene for scene.

Among the parts that were cut for the theatrical & early DVD versions but are present in the "Complete Novel" version are the opening movie theater scenes where the kid is jumped and cut by the Socials and the books ending where they go through the court process after the "rumble".

NewOldBlood did you watch the original version or the remastered special edition which has an extra 25 minutes? The remastered version was put out by Cappola a few years ago and is called the "Complete Novel". If you read the book it's worth seeing this version as it follows the book almost scene for scene.

Among the parts that were cut for the theatrical & early DVD versions but are present in the "Complete Novel" version are the opening movie theater scenes where the kid is jumped and cut by the Socials and the books ending where they go through the court process after the "rumble".

I watched the Complete Novel version. It was the first time I had seen that cut. It's funny, I hadn't seen the movie in years and I thought "did I really forget all of these scenes?" Then I did a little Google research and figured out what you just explained.

The Crown Season 3, Episodes 1-4 8/8 I'm quick to make fun of the world's obsession with the US but have to admit, I'm enjoying every bit of this. Only half way through the season, I thought it was going to be a tear down the monarchy but you can see why they survive. Episode 4 Bubbikins will be special to any guy with a Mother.

The Devil's Rejects (2005) 7/8 One of my favorite horror movies, though I think it is more shocking than it is scary and definitely Rob Zombie's best work.

Midway - For someone who knows something about the battle, or someone who wishes to know about it (that should be every American), Midway is an outstanding film. That is why the critics' Rotten Tomato score is in the 40's while the movie goers' score is in the 90's. What the critics do not get is that sometimes a film should simply tell a compelling story well and doesn't need novelty to make it entertaining. One critic wrote "It's hard to imagine, if you've already seen a film like Pearl Harbor, why you would need to see Midway." Yeah, you know WWII battles, they're all alike. So, I guess learning about one of the most unlikely, I dare say miraculous, conflicts in American history is a waste of time.

The movie has a surprising span of time, running from 1937, through Pearl Harbor, through the Doolittle Raid and through the battle of Coral Sea, in order to set the table for Midway. This allows some character development for a number of characters but crowds out others who will become important later in the film. What it lacks in wider character development it makes up for with historical accuracy and a good understanding of what was at stake at Midway, along with the actions that resulted in the USN's ultimate success.

My two complaints are relatively minor. The first is that everyone in the film is just too dawn good looking. Where are the Spence Tracy/Jimmy Stewart "everyman" types. It would have benefited from a couple of palookas for sure. The second criticism is in depicting a dive bomb run. For dramatic purposes, as if it needed it, they had the dive bombers diving almost to the deck of the Japanese aircraft carriers buzzing the bridge on a couple of them.

Something else noteworthy is the respect paid to the heroics of many of the Japanese seamen and sailors and the wisdom of the Japanese Pacific Fleet commander Admiral Yamamoto, even while showing the brutality of several Japanese in strafing downed Americans and drowning one.

The performance of Harrelson as Nimitz and Dennis Quaid as Halsey were surprisingly good.

7/8

Midway - For someone who knows something about the battle, or someone who wishes to know about it (that should be every American), Midway is an outstanding film. That is why the critics' Rotten Tomato score is in the 40's while the movie goers' score is in the 90's. What the critics do not get is that sometimes a film should simply tell a compelling story well and doesn't need novelty to make it entertaining. One critic wrote "It's hard to imagine, if you've already seen a film like Pearl Harbor, why you would need to see Midway." Yeah, you know WWII battles, they're all alike. So, I guess learning about one of the most unlikely, I dare say miraculous, conflicts in American history is a waste of time.

The movie has a surprising span of time, running from 1937, through Pearl Harbor, through the Doolittle Raid and through the battle of Coral Sea, in order to set the table for Midway. This allows some character development for a number of characters but crowds out others who will become important later in the film. What it lacks in wider character development it makes up for with historical accuracy and a good understanding of what was at stake at Midway, along with the actions that resulted in the USN's ultimate success.

My two complaints are relatively minor. The first is that everyone in the film is just too dawn good looking. Where are the Spence Tracy/Jimmy Stewart "everyman" types. It would have benefited from a couple of palookas for sure. The second criticism is in depicting a dive bomb run. For dramatic purposes, as if it needed it, they had the dive bombers diving almost to the deck of the Japanese aircraft carriers buzzing the bridge on a couple of them.

Something else noteworthy is the respect paid to the heroics of many of the Japanese seamen and sailors and the wisdom of the Japanese Pacific Fleet commander Admiral Yamamoto, even while showing the brutality of several Japanese in strafing downed Americans and drowning one.

The performance of Harrelson as Nimitz and Dennis Quaid as Halsey were surprisingly good.

7/8
Thanks. This is what I wanted to hear. A buddy of mine, military and history buff, asaid it's fantastic compared to the originam

For my friends who enjoy military movies, as I do, I saw two interesting trailers while waiting for Midway to start. One of these has been talked about elsewhere, that being 1917. As discussed, it looks pretty good. The other one, also dealing with WWI, is a total surprise. The newest installment in the Kingsmen franchise is a prequel, giving the story of the creation of the Kingsmen, apparently during WWI. The preview shows a woman member of the team that looks like she may be Mata Hari and also a tall bearded man who is obviously Rasputin. Very intriguing.