What Movies Did You Watch In November 2019?

vamp2syd

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

#3962 Child's Play (Canada-2019) ... 5.0/8

#3963 Leprechaun 8: Leprechaun Returns (US-2018) ... 5.0/8

#3964 Happy Death Day 2U (US-2019) ... 4.5/8

#3965 The House With A Clock In Its Walls (US-2018) ... 3.0/8

#3966 Brightburn (US-2019) ... 6.0/8

#3967 Grave Halloween (Canada-2013) ... 3.0/8

#3968 Ju-on 8: Za Fainaru (Japan-2015) ... 4.5/8

#3969 Night Of The Living Dead: Resurrection (UK-2012) ... 5.0/8

#3970 The Banana Splits Movie (US-2019) ... 3.5/8

#3971 My Super Psycho Sweet 16 (US-2009) ... 4.5/8

#3972 Shadows of the Dead (US-2016) ... 2.5/8

#3973 My Super Psycho Sweet 16: Part 2 (US-2010) ... 4.5/8

#3974 The Boy (US-2015) ... 6.0/8

#3975 The Changeover (New Zealand-2017) ... 4.0/8

Last edited:

Child's Play (Canada-2019)

Horror: OK, well I got cornered into watching this and I was pre-warned about the different direction so being a fan of the original movie and all but 1 of the sequels I was prepared to hate everything about this one. I hated the first 15 minutes of this flick the only thing that saved it for me was who they picked to play Andy and that was the kid that was great in Lights Out. I finally got used to the new direction but of course they had to make all the male characters (minus the detective) and all the female characters as saviors.... you know that crap that is going around lately.... well.... about an hour in it really started getting more sinister which is the Chucky I like and when it was all over I was disappointed that I actually liked it. It wasn't great like the original or Curse of Chucky but it was still good ..... 5.0/8

Terminator: Dark Fate: 6/8

I'd agree with critics that its the best in the franchise since T2, and I say that as someone who likes #3 and #4. Linda Hamilton is back to kicking . It could have used a little more Arnold. Things kick in high gear once he enters the movie. All of the new cast is great. Hopefully this becomes breakout roles for both Gabriel Luna and Mackenzie Davis, both of who have been on the cusp of stardom in their careers.

Sleepless: 5/8

A random Jamie Fox movie I picked up for cheap. Was pretty good with a great cast. Jamie Foxx, Michelle Monoghan, Dermot Mulroney, Gabrielle Union, Scoot McNairy, TI and David Harbour.

Foxx plays a Vegas cop turned dirty who, with his partner, rob a shipment of cocaine. Fox gets ID though and the owner of the drugs kidnaps his 16yr old son. I don't want to go too far more into the plot from there to give anything away, but its a good watch if you have 90 minutes to kill. Not entirely sure how the title of the movie fits though. I guess since it all takes place over one long night. A remake of the French film "Sleepless Night."

The Battle of El Alamein (1969) - I have a family interest in this battle so I thought I would watch this film made by the Italians that showed the battle from their perspective. It was bad.

2/8

Leprechaun Returns (2018)

Horror: 8th installment of the series but this one takes place 25 years after the first and is a direct sequel to it. We have females fixing up the place where the original Leprechaun was put to rest only to awaken him and of course he want's his gold. This is not one of my favorite series as I have only liked a couple of them but this one was the best of all of them .... 5.0/8

The Terminator: 5/8

Believe it or not, I'd never actually seen all of the original Terminator. I mean I know the story and have seen most of it, just not all in one viewing. For me, it's similar to Stallone in the first Rocky. I was really young or not born when it was made, and Arnold just looks weird. Having watched it all through, part of that is because of the prosthetics. What's up with Arnold having no eyebrows at one point. Also interesting in this movie is that Arnold plays the terminator less robotic here than he does in future movies. Probably due to him becoming a better actor through the years. I was disappointed in the CGI/Special Effects. It's certainly better if seen in the 80's but still pails in comparison to the Star Wars movies and other movies that came out around that time. I'd be curious to see how the movie would be received today. The story is mostly there, but the acting is average/over the top and the special effects don't hold up (but you can say that about almost any older movie).

So now that I've seen all of them, here's how I'd rank all 6 Terminator movies:

Terminator 2, Judgement Day: The standard bearer, of course. Arnold in the prime of his career, and he's more interesting as the good guy.

Terminator, Dark Fate: This I'm sure is considered too high, but I quite enjoyed it. Great action, and multiple badass performances. The plot isn't overly complicated, but are any of them? I was telling my daughter the plots of all the movies yesterday, and 5 of the 6 plots are "killer robot from the future comes back in time to kill someone."

Terminator, Salvation: This will be a controversial selection, but I really like this movie. It's also the one movie of the franchise that tried to mix it up. It all takes place in the (their) present, and it dares to question what we thought we knew about the story to this point.

The Terminator: Again, this is hindered by seeing it 35 years later. Had I watched it in the 80's, maybe its higher up the list. Blade Runner was the same way for me.

Terminator, Rise of the Machines: I actually really like this one as well, but it's tough to justify it above the original. I'd put them neck and neck though.

Terminator, Genisys: This is really the only "bad" movie of the franchise IMO, but I do appreciate that they tried something different and made the hero the villain. The plot was too jumbled though and they tried to change too much.

The King 8/8 modest reviews. I don't normally like slower moving movies but this one kept my interest. I thought the pacing was perfect. I like movies that avoid the cliches, this one did. Chalamet I think is going to be one of the greats. I wouldn't have thought a skinny kid could pull off warrier King but he does it without question. I'm really interested in how it is received in England, am going to look for some reviews there. I was surprised by the R rating. This might have been R in the 60s but I don't see how it attained that in the present.

In the credits I noticed Brad Pitt produced and looked at his record as a producer. There's a lot a great movies in that list.

Happy Death Day 2U (2019)

Horror/Comedy: The next day, Tree thinks she is finally free of the loop only to find herself back in it again but now what..... This one was less horror and more comedy which was not to my liking.... 4.5/8

The House With A Clock In Its Walls (2018)

Fantasy/Horror: Jack Black.... frankly I did not know this was listed as a horror but it is.... this was a goofy silly flick that I got bored with. I wished they would of gone a more serious darker tone with it ... 3.0/8

Brightburn (2019)

Horror: I had no idea what this was about but basically it resembles the first 15 minutes of Superman but with a much much more darker and sinister take which is right up my alley. I did not think I would like this but once it got going oh boy..... 6.0/8

You sold me. I'll be watching it soon. Kenneth Branagh's Henry V (1989) is my favorite Shakespearian adaptation.

This one sold me on that one. I did get a chance to read a few British reviews of "The King." The major reasons they did not like the parts they did not like seem to me, it was missing those cliches I mentioned.

High Society ((1955) - No not the Bing Crosby musical that came out the following year, but another well executed Bowery Boys movie. One of their later films, they actually hold real grown up jobs in this one. Typical but still entertaining.

4/8

Midway
comes out this weekend. I hope to see it but I have also wanted to see Jojo Rabbit.

The Petrified Forest (1936) ... 2.5/8

Film Noir... Bette Davis, Humphrey Bogart..... just too much chit chat and Bogart looked to be constipated through out....

Stand By Me (1986) 8/8 Probably my favorite movie growing up. Great cast (Pheonix, Wheaton, O'Connell, Feldman, Sutherland, Cusack, Dreyfuss), great director (Rob Reiner), great story (Stephen King), and outstanding soundtrack. Coming of age story about a group of friends that set out to see the dead body of a missing kid.

High Society ((1955) - No not the Bing Crosby musical that came out the following year, but another well executed Bowery Boys movie. One of their later films, they actually hold real grown up jobs in this one. Typical but still entertaining.

4/8

Midway
comes out this weekend. I hope to see it but I have also wanted to see Jojo Rabbit.
Wanting to see Midway as well. I liked the original and to me the previews look good, but seems like too much CGI. When I watch old war movies

If there's one Veteran themed movie you watch this weekend and haven't seen The Best Years of our Lives make sure you catch it.

It's one of the all time greats and earns an 8/8.

Made right after the end of WW2 there's an immediacy and reality about it that few films on this topic can match. Beautifully acted & scripted and filmed by the great Greg Toland this is still an astonishingly topical film more then 70 years after it was made.

If there's one Veteran themed movie you watch this weekend and haven't seen The Best Years of our Lives make sure you catch it.

It's one of the all time greats and earns an 8/8.

Made right after the end of WW2 there's an immediacy and reality about it that few films on this topic can match. Beautifully acted & scripted and filmed by the great Greg Toland this is still an astonishingly topical film more then 70 years after it was made.

If Vietnam had had an equivalent, the country would have avoided a lot of angst. Instead, we had "Coming Home" and "Rambo."

Stand By Me (1986) 8/8 Probably my favorite movie growing up. Great cast (Pheonix, Wheaton, O'Connell, Feldman, Sutherland, Cusack, Dreyfuss), great director (Rob Reiner), great story (Stephen King), and outstanding soundtrack. Coming of age story about a group of friends that set out to see the dead body of a missing kid.

Based on "The Body". I loved this movie.

Angry Birds 2: 5/8

A worthy successor to the original, which I enjoyed. I'd say this one is even funnier.

Believe it or not, Angry Birds 2 is currently the highest rated video game adaptation of all time.

Who would a 10 year old boy in 1945 Germany want as their imaginary friend? Hitler of course. I saw Jojo Rabbit this past weekend and I have to say it is the best film I have seen this year. It is hilarious and also deathly serious. They could not have found cuter kids to play the title character and "the little boy in a fat little boy's body" who happens to be Jojo's second best friend (second to Hitler of course). Scarlett Johansson is phenomenal as a mother trying to raise a patriotic child in Nazi Germany and supporting his participation in the Hitler Youth, all the while hiding a couple very big secrets. In addition to her performance, Tiaka Waititi strikes just the right balance of intense humor and terror in his performance as the imaginary friend. Two supporting performances were also worth mentioning, Rebel Wilson as a delightfully demented female instructor at the Hitler Youth camp and Sam Rockwell as a frustrated army captain who can no longer command his troops due to injuring one of his eyes and ends up as the leader of the Nazi Youth camp, a job he hates. The Captain's character demonstrates that one can be a patriot and want to defend his country even when we do not fully agree with the country's course. There were good men in the Wehrmacht just as there were good and honorable men who served in the Confederate Army in the US Civil War. That is a lesson lost on our current generation of SJWs who want to tear down all memorials commemorating the Confederate dead.

A funny, sad, thought provoking film, it shares characteristics with other WWII films such as Life is Beautiful (1997), which told a serious story in a very funny way, Downfall (2004) in its depiction of the boys and old men who were left to defend Germany after Hitler's suicide and Lore (2012), the story of a teenage girl who was raised by a high ranking SS officer and had bought into all of the Nazi propaganda she was raised with until she saw the truth as the Nazi regime crumbled. By the way, I would highly recommend all of those films.

See Jojo Rabbit. You won't regret it.

8/8

Last edited:
Carrie (2013) - 4.0

I am a big horror movie fan, so I was really looking forward to this movie last night. It was a disappointment. I prefer the original. First and foremost, there is absolutely no way to replicate Momma's character from the original. Julianne Moore tried her hardest and did okay, but having seen the original first, I felt very let down. I thought Carrie's character did okay, but it was too... paranormal. Lots of weird poses holding her hands to move things with her mind (not nearly as natural-looking as Eleven in Stranger Things). I give it a 4.0.

I have much higher expectations for the "It" remake when my DVR records it tomorrow night.

Grave Halloween (Canada-2013)

Horror: A daughter and documentary team visits the forest in Japan where her mother committed suicide. Well, you know what is going to happen here. This is probably the 4th movie I have seen about the Suicide Forest in Japan but this one did not do it justice and was pretty lame... 3.0/8

Ju-on 8: Za Fainaru (Japan-2015)

Horror: A woman tries to figure out what happened to her sister after visiting the home of Toshio. This one parallels Ju-on 2 and is known as the Final Curse... well, that is yet to be seen as an American version of Ju-on 7 is coming out soon.... Ju-on 8 is not the best of the series but still good.

This is how I would rate the 11 Grudge movies

Ju-on 1
Ju-on 3
The Grudge (US)
Ju-on 7
The Grudge 2 (US)
Ju-on 4
Ju-on 2
Ju-on 5
Ju-on 6
Ju-on 8
The Grudge 3 (US)

The Grudge 4 (US) ????? not out yet

Night of the Living Dead: Resurrection (UK-2012)

Horror: This was the unauthorized film that bombed and has an extremely low rating.... I went in with zero expectations and ended up liking it. It felt old school with the Euro 70's score feel.... I see why people hated it but I don't care.... I liked it! ... 5.0/8

The Banana Splits Movie (US-2019)

Horror: What? This one has an 'R" rating too!!! OK, Harley is a little boy who really loves the Banana Splits (A children's show) and for his birthday he receives tickets to the taping of the show. Well, unfortunately the show is getting cancelled after the taping and the Banana Splits who are robotic animals take it out on the audience!!!! Did anyone catch the "Hey Hey its the Monkee's" theme of Harley brother? It wasn't very good but could of been a lot worse.... 3.5/8