What Movies Did You Watch in May 2020?

Sleepaway Camp (1983) ... 5.5/8

I watched this back in the 80's on an old VHS tape that was very grainy and I had a hard time seeing what was going on especially at night..... well, about 30 years later I get to see a much better print of it with all of its goodies and liked it much much better.

Awesome movie. Hugh Grant likes it as a sleazy tabloid reporter. If there’s any kind of Academy Awards this year, he should get a Best Supporting Actor Nom.
I was shocked it got so little attention until I read this part on wikipedia: "Some reviews perceived the film as anti-Semitic, racist, homophobic and sexist on account of its portrayals of characters that fit stereotypes."

Whatever, those people can go to hell. It's an awesome movie.

I was shocked it got so little attention until I read this part on wikipedia: "Some reviews perceived the film as anti-Semitic, racist, homophobic and sexist on account of its portrayals of characters that fit stereotypes."

Whatever, those people can go to hell. It's an awesome movie.
Most critics are SJWs. You can put together a god awful POS movie but if you’ve got a “diverse” cast, critics will get on their knees and praise it, like Moonlight from a few yrs ago.

I can think of other examples but I don't understand/agree with the use of Moonlight in this context. Moonlight was a very well done movie, regardless someone enjoys the story or not. Of the oscar noms, a collection of very rewatchable movies Moonlight would be last on my list. But I couldn't argue it wasn't the best done or not well deserving of the awards it received.

EDIT: Shoot, I was just looking at the long list of movies from that year. I don't know if any of those movies will survive to "iconic" but that is a LONG list of rewatchable movies in that year. I've probably already watched Sully, comic hero movies and Hacksaw Ridge three times. I need to get Captain Fantastic, Fences and The White Helmets on my list.

Last edited:
EDIT: Shoot, I was just looking at the long list of movies from that year. I don't know if any of those movies will survive to "iconic" but that is a LONG list of rewatchable movies in that year. I've probably already watched Sully, comic hero movies and Hacksaw Ridge three times. I need to get Captain Fantastic, Fences and The White Helmets on my list.
2019 was awesome. Knives Out, 1917, Parasite, Joker, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, John Wick 3, Rambo Last Blood, Uncut Gems, Ford vs Ferrari, Ad Astra were all good/great or at least entertaining. There was almost always a good movie out that was worth seeing.

8 Mile (2002) 6/8 As a big fan of Eminem I am admittedly biased, but I think this movie is really good. Truthfully, it is probably only a 3 or 4 if not for the last 20-25 minutes of the movie. It really does have a decent cast and for not being an actor Slim Shady does pretty well playing himself. Great soundtrack and a pretty good story. The final rap battles absolutely make the movie.

The Gentlemen 6/8 If Pinky Blinders, The Kingsmen, and an In Bruges mini-bus collided... I hem and hawed about watching but finally gave into the recommendations by Omar and Sig.

First half was a chore. I walked away, came back to it and it became brilliant. Some movies just depend upon your mood. -1 because the story within did drag it down first half. -1 so I can give it back because I know I'm going to like it more after the sequel. Agree very much that Hugh Grant deserved some recognition, I didn't even recognize the twerp. Colin Ferrell and Charlie Hunnam are gold in the same scene. Ritchie is way underrated.

I think I'll go rewatch "The Conversation."

Slaughter High (1986) ... 4.5/8

This was another re-watch and once again it was under the title "April Fool's Day" but it is now officially "Slaughter High" since there was already a movie by that title in the same year with same genre..... It will always be "April fool's Day" in my book.....

A Most Wanted Man (2014)- Philip Seymour Hoffman's last movie before his death. He plays the leader of a German anti-terrorist organization pursuing a man funding terrorism. Just okay. (5/8)

M.D.C. Maschera Di Cera (Italy-1997)

Horror: "Wax Mask" ... Dario Argento and Lucio Fulci teamed up and wrote this one but unfortunately Fulci died weeks prior to filming forcing them to bring in another director in short notice. This was basically a remake of House of Wax but with a Giallo style and a nice twist. Could of been better but still decent.... 4.5/8

Tragedy Girls (2017)

Horror: Teen girls want to spice up their blog to gain viewers by searching for a serial killer and to keep the blood flowing. Entertaining enough and more sinister than Heathers ..... 5.0/8

Z (Canada-2019)

Horror: An 8 year old's imaginary friend just might be real and terrorizes a family.... 4.5/8

Almost Human (2013)

Sci-Fi Horror: A man returns after being missing for a year but is not the same. Good ole fun here ... 5.0/8

In honor of Memorial Day...

220px-Twelve_O%27Clock_High_%281949_poster%29.jpg

Dean Jagger as Major Harvey Stovall

Stovall spots and purchases the 'face mug' ...
... the mug sat on the mantel in the Air Base Officers club...
... facing the room, the bar was 'OPEN'...
... facing the wall, the bar is 'CLOSED' ~ mission orders have come down.

Stovall visits the Air Field... flash back

Oscar- with out politics...

:>---

SALT

Man of Steel (2013) 4.5/8 Reboot of the original Superman movie and start of the DC/Justice League universe. I think this is a little better than a lot of other people. I didn't love it the first time I saw it, but it has grown on me since.

Deep Blue Sea 2 (2018) 1/8 No real connection to the original movie other than sharks, science and the ocean. Really, really bad. Tried to be somewhat gory for shock effect. Sometimes I wonder how some movies ever get the go ahead for filming, this is one of those times.

From Dusk till Dawn (1996) 6/8 Written by Tarantino, directed by Robert Rodriguez. Two brother (George Clooney and Tarantino) go on a crime/killing spree through Texas on the way to freedom in Mexico. One of my favorite cult classics. Filled with great Tarantino dialogue, plenty of B movie/grindhouse cheese and all the violence you can handle. Plus a pretty impressive cast of characters.

Watched "1945" last night, a Hungarian movie with subtitles. Tension arises when two Jews get off the train and head for the nearby village. Turns out the whole town of villagers took over the homes owned by the Jews and all their personal property after ther Nazis came through. Villagers are terrified the Jews have come back to claim their property.

Watched "1945" last night, a Hungarian movie with subtitles. Tension arises when two Jews get off the train and head for the nearby village. Turns out the whole town of villagers took over the homes owned by the Jews and all their personal property after ther Nazis came through. Villagers are terrified the Jews have come back to claim their property.
But you didn't score the movie

But you didn't score the movie
I'll rate it as I did when I saw it in the theater in 2017.

7/8

Excellent film.

Birds of Prey (2020) 3/8 Harley Quinn movie. Pretty disappointing. Seemed scattered and just too much going on. I just don't know why DC has such a hard time getting these movies right.

The Invisible Man (2020) 4.5/8 An abused woman's husband dies and it appears he has come back from the dead to haunt her. I think this movie would have been better in the theater and I think I may like a more after a second watch. It was definitely entertaining.

Beverly Hills Cop (1984) 5.5/8 One of Eddie Murphy's early movies. After his friend returns to Detroit from California he is murdered and Murphy heads to Beverly Hills to find out why. Axle Foley is one of Murphy's better characters in my opinion. Pretty funny, some good action for its time.