What Movies Did You Watch in March 2021?

Misfits (1961) - Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe's last film (he had a heart attack two days after the film rapped and Monroe's decent into alcohol and drugs started well before the filming started). This story is mostly about how noble actions can become something else due to changes beyond our control in our culture and our society, whether it be the institution of marriage or wrangling mustangs. It is also a movie about redemption and resilience. Monroe's figure and sexuality is put to good use and is an important element in the film. There is a scene in a bar where she picks up a boy's paddle ball and starts pounding away on it, bringing her bounteous assets into focus. One can't help to notice her figure in the final scene where she is out in the Nevada desert in a white cotton blouse and no bra. Anyway, she is fun to look at, but she also turned in a very good performance, as did Gable, Eli Wallach and Montgomery Cliff.

7/8

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 7/8. Wasn't quite as good as I'd placed it in memory but when it was good, it was REAL good. Particularly Fletcher and Dourif. And one of my favorite final scenes in cinema.
Hollywood doesn't seem to know how to end movies.

A few of my favorite movie endings: "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", "The Graduate" and the original "Planet of the Apes". Those were great endings!

A few of my favorite movie endings: "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", "The Graduate" and the original "Planet of the Apes". Those were great endings!

All of those good. I've seen the last one panned but don't get it. I think it's one of the best for sci-fi. Here's another Heston.

though he'd been better without the last line.

I don’t generally have issues with movie endings, but rather the need for the catchy one liner. The “I’ll be back!” or “Welcome to Earth!” moment.

I get it in that, if it works it can become an iconic movie moment, but I’d argue that 75% of them fail miserably.

A good example is I,Robot. I’m like the movie and am a huge Will Smith fan, but the climactic “You so have to die!” (To a machine no less) is cringeworthy.

Last edited:
I do t generally have issues with movie endings, but rather the need for the catchy one liner. The I’ll be back!” or “Welcome to Earth”.

I get it in that, if it works it can become an iconic movie moment, but I’d argue that 75% of them fail miserably.

A good example is I,Robot. I’m like the movie and am a huge Will Smith fan, but the climactic “You so have to die!” (To a machine no less) is cringeworthy.

True, they don't all work. This trend for non-endings that Blackhawk is refering to, particularly in dramas is just not for me.

All of those good. I've seen the last one panned but don't get it. I think it's one of the best for sci-fi. Here's another Heston.

though he'd been better without the last line.
I was thinking that a remake of Soylent Green might be good. Another Heston film, The Omega Man was remade as I Am Legend with Will Smith and is excellent.

Someone should make PC versions of Animal House and Blazing Saddles. OK, nevermind.