What Movies Did You Watch in March 2021?

Patti Labelle singing and a young Denzel Washington and Robert Townsend, man this was a good one. You could feel how hot it was through the screen.
It is hard to imagine Washington exceeding his performance in Glory (1989). My second favorite is Kenneth Branaugh's version of Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing (1993). Denzel is part of an ensemble cast of stars.

Slice (2018)

Horror comedy: Pizza guys are getting whacked by something..... this was too silly for me to like.... 3.0/8

Santo & The Blue Demon vs Dr. Frankenstein (Mexico-1974)

Lucha Libre Horror: The grandson of Dr. Frankenstein has created another monster but wants to transplant the brain of Santo into it..... 3.0/8

The Rental (2020)

Horror: Lip from Shameless is in this one.... Two couples rent out a place for the weekend but discovers something sinister..... this was actually pretty good and Lip was Lip..... 5.5/8

Dead Still (2014)

Horror: A photographer inherits his grandfather's Victorian death camera and unleashes another curse of death. There was no flow to this movie at all with stupid flash stills every few seconds. Could not get into it at all..... 2.0/8

I enjoyed going through the cast list to identify those "I think I've seen that face" actors. Lot of young stars to be. Grier was another. That C.J. don't know if that was really him singing and playing but wow. His life a bit tragic. The guy who played the "victim," didn't have long to go either. Rollins another one down the difficult road, would have been a great one. Not the presence of Washington but leaps above in acting.

IMDB is sometimes how I pick my next movie. I'll be looking up an actor, see what else they've been in and look for something interesting. Hence two Rollins movies.
I forgot about Grier. That is a unique way to pick a movie, might have to try that this summer when I have more movie watching time.

It is hard to imagine Washington exceeding his performance in Glory (1989). My second favorite is Kenneth Branaugh's version of Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing (1993). Denzel is part of an ensemble cast of stars.

Haven't seen Much ado About Nothing, I'll add it to the summer list. John Q is actually one of my favorites of his along with Glory and Antoine Fisher. Truly was not a fan of Training Day (yeah I said it).

Haven't seen Much ado About Nothing, I'll add it to the summer list. John Q is actually one of my favorites of his along with Glory and Antoine Fisher. Truly was not a fan of Training Day (yeah I said it).
I really like the other movies you listed, but not a fan of Training Day! I thought Denzel really showed the kind of actor he was playing someone so far out of character of who he is and who he normally plays. I was most disappointed in American Gangster. I thought that was going to be a classic, but was really letdown.

Gangster fest this past weekend:

Little Caesar (1931) - Edward G. Robinson in his role as the quintessential 1930's gangster and with his distinctive voice (yooouuu dirty rat). Has one of the best ending lines in movie history.

6/8

Edward G. Robinson as Enrico (Rico) Bandello
"aeah..Mother of mercy, is this the end of Rico?"
AFI's 100 Years...100 Movie Quotes: – #73 (it is also 1 of the 12 closing film lines on the list)

:>---

75Y+6M

Last edited:
Maybe. I don't recall anything, not seen in every "disaster" movie ever. Seemed pretty much same-ol to me, a wait for it experience. I think I started rooting for the meteor so there'd be something different. Eh, I'll watch it again someday, maybe see it the same as you.

Last edited:
Piranha (1972)

Action/sub-Horror: No.... this is NOT the Piranha franchise movie.... this one is totally different. So this hot chick and her brother travel to Venezuela so she can take photo's deep in the jungle. They meet Jim who will be their guide. The three run into a hunter, Caribe who Jim knows of and does not care for. The chick of course falls for him and the hint of diamonds is all the brother needs to invite him on the quest. There is an uneasy feeling about this Caribe fella as when asked what he hunts he replies "everything" .... that got my notice... also, Caribe is Indian for Piranha. There are piranha in the film but it is not about that. This one got a 2.6/10 rating on IMBD but I rather enjoyed it.... 5.0/8

I really like the other movies you listed, but not a fan of Training Day! I thought Denzel really showed the kind of actor he was playing someone so far out of character of who he is and who he normally plays. I was most disappointed in American Gangster. I thought that was going to be a classic, but was really letdown.
Hard for me to warm up to dirty cops or gangsters. So American Gangster was another one I wasn't a fan of, even though a college friend of mine had a role in it as a body guard.

The Dig - A new Netflix film about the greatest archaeological find in the UK in the last century. This is a fine film, although those who are addicted to superhero movies will find it too slow for their taste. One of the most amazing things to me is to see Carey Mulligan playing a middle aged invalid widow, after just seeing her play a hot twenty something in Promising Young Women. Ralph Fiennes also turns in a great performance. The film is about hubris, professional jealousy, and the affect of small acts of kindness and decency during a time of impending disaster as WII approaches.

6/8

Miracle (2004) - This always brings back great memories. Good film, not a great film. The hockey action was very well choreographed.

6/8

American Graffiti: 6/8

The plot itself isn’t anything overly complex but man that soundtrack is just spot on.

Takes me back to a kid listening to my parents old 8-tracks.

Blood Simple (1984) - The first and one of the best Coen Brothers films. Close to being the perfect noir film and funny in a very dark way to boot. Its easy to forget that Frances McDormand was actually quite good looking at one time.

7/8

Last edited:
Wonder Woman 1984: 3/8

I read a leaked copy of the plot a year or so ago and thought “there’s no way this could be real.” Later found out it was, almost exactly.

It’s even worse when put to film. Just downright bad. Worse than Justice League bad.

"Mister Scoutmaster" (1953) - 5/8

Caught this on TCM this morning. Charming and witty, even with the outdated socio-economic and racial tropes. Clifton Webb plays his usual ascerbic character. George Winslow, looking like an 8 year-old Steve McQueen, steals the show as a streetwise orphan who wants to be a Cub Scout and have a family.

Wonder Woman 1984: 3/8

I read a leaked copy of the plot a year or so ago and thought “there’s no way this could be real.” Later found out it was, almost exactly.

It’s even worse when put to film. Just downright bad. Worse than Justice League bad.

What makes it so disheartening, they absolutely nailed the actor choice for Wonder Woman. Then gave her crap to work with.

What makes it so disheartening, they absolutely nailed the actor choice for Wonder Woman. Then gave her crap to work with.

Even weirder, this was worse than Thor: The Dark World, which Patty Jenkins passed on because she couldn’t find a way to make it work.

The Dig - A new Netflix film about the greatest archaeological find in the UK in the last century. This is a fine film, although those who are addicted to superhero movies will find it too slow for their taste. One of the most amazing things to me is to see Carey Mulligan playing a middle aged invalid widow, after just seeing her play a hot twenty something in Promising Young Women. Ralph Fiennes also turns in a great performance. The film is about hubris, professional jealousy, and the affect of small acts of kindness and decency during a time of impending disaster as WII approaches.

6/8
Good call. Enjoyable movie.

Even weirder, this was worse than Thor: The Dark World, which Patty Jenkins passed on because she couldn’t find a way to make it work.

The first one wasn't bad. Wasn't what it could be but that had more to do with a particular actor confusing acting with mugging for the camera.

A Star is Born (1954) - I have now seen three of the four versions of A Star is Born, having seen the 1937, 1954 and 1976 versions. I have yet to see the 2018 version. So far, the 1954 is the best in my opinion, with 1937's being a distant second. I would have liked to have seen this film in the original director's cut. After he was done 40 minutes of the film were cut in order to reduce the run time. TCM made an effort to restore the cut portions with still pictures being shown as the original song track continues to run. Judy Garland, too old at the time to be the ingenue she plays, she still shines in her singing and her acting..

Some day soon, I'll watch the newest version. I'll let you know what I think then.

7/8