What Movies Did You Watch in March 2021?

vamp2syd

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

#4271 Heebie Jeebies (US-2013) ... 3.0/8

#4272 The Turning (UK-2020) ... 5.0/8

#4273 Guru, The Mad Monk (US-1970) ... 2.5/8

#4274 Aquaslash (Canada-2019) ... 3.0/8

#4275 Slice (US-2018) ... 3.0/8

#4276 Santo & The Blue Demon vs Dr. Frankenstein (Mexico-1974) ... 3.0/8

#4277 The Rental (US-2020) ... 5.5/8

#4278 Dead Still (US-2014) ... 2.0/8

#4279 Piranha (US-1972) ... 5.0/8

Last edited:

The Mayor of Hell (1933) - An unusual Cagney film about a boy's reform school. Like the Little Rascals or Our Gang series, the delinquents are a multi-ethnic group of kids that all get along and treat each other equally. Also as a tie in to those series, the cast includes Farina of Little Rascal fame. You know the little black kid who wore a dress. He actually turns in a decent performance here.

5/8

Just watched the original Mad Max for the first time.

I’m not sure what if anything I was expecting but I was incredibly disappointed.

Just watched the original Mad Max for the first time.

I’m not sure what if anything I was expecting but I was incredibly disappointed.
You have to get past the rough edges. It is certainly not a "Hollywood film". The story and the energetic acting always got a big plus from me.

The Tom and Jerry Movie..... I only lasted about 5 to 10 minutes in this one before turning it off. It was beyond bad and actually physically pained me. The annoying score was nauseating and the whole look of it was just looked wrong.

Storm Warning (1951) - So, a big band girl singer, a ballroom dancer and a monkey's uncle go into a bar. That what came to mind when I found out that the cast of this film included Betty Grable, Doris Day and Ronald Reagan. A good story in general about standing up to the KKK in a small southern town. The odd thing was that the film completely avoids the issue of racism. The film treats the Klan, not as a racist organization but rather as a shadow government of thugs. In fact there are very few blacks in the film and the target of the Klan are white people who dare to stand up to them. So the Klan is trying to run this town but they don't bother the surprisingly few blacks in town, nor the obviously Jewish bowling alley owner.

The film has all the feel of a Warner Brothers crime film. It is well produced and the main actors all do a decent job, especially Doris Day and Ginger Rogers who were not known for their dramatic roles.

Good, but could have been a lot better.

5/8

Didn't really hold up for me. Started to watch it this Summer and just lost interest, didn't finish. Not sure why. Mood wasn't right maybe.

A Matter of Life or Death (1946) - A really strange film that is considered by the British to be one of the best British films of all time. I thought it was just ok. The quirky start devolves into a tragic war time scenario. A pilot is in his disabled bomber after his living crew members have bailed out and he is alone, without a parachute. That part of the film is compelling, but all of the supernatural stuff that follows leaves me a bit cold. David Niven is always a plus, which is why I watched it to begin with.

5/8

Tenet 5/8

Better than I heard, but probably not in the top 5 of Nolan films. Definitely seems like one that needs to be watched multiple times.

Didn't really hold up for me. Started to watch it this Summer and just lost interest, didn't finish. Not sure why. Mood wasn't right maybe.
I don't know how old you are but it helps to know what it was like in 1962 (Where were you in 62? The movie's marketing hook). Even more so to understand what 1959 was like and 1964 and beyond. First of all, Lucas and Coppola nailed the setting, the mood and the feel of 1962. Then you have the semi-autographical story of Curt (based on Lucas' young adulthood) on the cusp of adulthood and torn between the life he has know and the one destiny has waiting for him, if only he will reach out for it (symbolized by Susan Sommers in a white T-Bird). Thirdly is the somewhat uncommon fact that there was no movie score. Instead the music emanating from the gym stage, jukeboxes and every car radio saturates the film and becomes a character in the film in and of itself (personified by Wolfman Jack). As Milner says, rock music, the edgy, rebellious rock of the mid to late 50's, died when Buddy, Ritchie and the Bopper died in the airplane crash and Elvis was drafted and Chuck went to prison. What was left was the "teen idol" of era of a bunch of Bobby Rydell look a likes and sound a likes. But we know that rock and roll will be reborn as we hear the Beach Boys hitting the charts and with the knowledge that the Beatles are already tearing up Liverpool and Hamburg and will burst upon the US youth scene in a short two years.

Before 1962, early gritty rock and roll, prefeminism, memories of a heroic war (WWII) but peace throughout the land, small town community business districts and an innocence in teenage sexuality and lack of wide drug use. After 1962, British Invasion and blues based rock, devolving into hard and acid rock, feminism and the mix-up of gender roles, being stuck in a senseless and unpopular war, malls destroying downtown business districts, the Pill, setting off the "sexual revolution" and the proliferation of recreational drugs.

That is the perspective in which you must watch American Graffiti to truly appreciate it greatness as a film and as a commentary on American life. Seeing it now also has the added fun of seeing Susan Sommers, Richard Dreyfuss, Harrison Ford and the others before they became stars. Also, we get to see Lucas developing themes and action that would be seen later in Star Wars (1977). We see a proto Hans in Harrison Ford's and Paul Le Mat's characters. The common themes and personalities are better explained here:

Anyway, you can tell I am a fan. Maybe it is because I saw the film when I was 14 years old, with my school friends, who are still my closest friends to this day and I searched the Enquire every day to track the prices of Ford Model A's and Mustangs, as I was sure I would be buying one or the other by the time I was 16 (actually bought a 65 Mustang two years later). The film also started the whole 50's revival phenomena of the mid 70's.

So, where were you in 62?

I don't know how old you are but it helps to know what it was like in 1962 (Where were you in 62? The movie's marketing hook).

Naw, none of that had anything to do with it. As I wrote, it didn't hold up for me. Meaning, I liked it when I first watched it but for some reason it didn't hold my attention last Summer.

Coming 2 America: 5.75/8

Not overly funny but the story itself is pretty good.lots of callbacks to the original.

Last edited:
Freaky: 5/8

A good little horror comedy. Vince Vaughn plays a 17yr old girl well. He’s equally as convincing as an imposing serial killer.

Casualties of War (1989). It was very good but I had trouble buying into Michael J. Fox as the lead. I think a better choice could have been made.

A Matter of Life or Death (1946) - A really strange film that is considered by the British to be one of the best British films of all time. I thought it was just ok. The quirky start devolves into a tragic war time scenario. A pilot is in his disabled bomber after his living crew members have bailed out and he is alone, without a parachute. That part of the film is compelling, but all of the supernatural stuff that follows leaves me a bit cold. David Niven is always a plus, which is why I watched it to begin with.

5/8

The only part that stuck with me was the doomed pilot talking to the radio operator. Powerful stuff. Would have been something if they could have made that compelling for the movie length. The afterlife stuff, I'm imagine I enjoyed it but can't remember a bit of it.

In my mind I had Niven in a lot more WWII era flicks but looking at the imdb, not really that many. The Way Ahead occurred much later in the war than I had thought. Spitfire was one I like, a nice addition to the weapons engineering genre, a genre I think I just made up but there were several WWII era movies made about weapons development. Dive Bomber I recall off the top of my head.

Last edited:
John Bronco (2020)- mockumentary about a fictional icon cowboy that won the Baja 1000 in a Ford vehicle that was thereafter named after him who eventually disappears. Walton Goggins, who is one of my all-time favorites, plays John Bronco, so I was eager to see it. However, it was pretty lame. 4/8.

Coming 2 America (2021)- sequel to the 1988 Eddie Murphy film. I watched it mostly for nostalgia's sake. It has some laughs but all in all wasn't very good. 4/8.

I Care, A Lot (2021)- Movie about a woman who uses the guardianship system to steal money from helpless elderly wards. It all goes smoothly until she tries to do it to someone with mob connections. It's an interesting premise but the movie just has too many implausible twists to be that enjoyable. 4.5/8.

Last edited:
Rocky (1977) - I had almost forgotten how much fun it was. The fact that they ended it the way they did makes the film.

7/8

Heebie Jeebies (2013)

Horror: Small town has their hands full when a creature escapes from an abandoned mine to seek havoc on all it encounters. Low budget warning with cheezy effects. ... 3.0/8

The Turning (UK-2020)

Horror: A young woman takes a job as a governess for an orphaned girl who lives alone in a huge mansion. Things were already a bit strange but gets worse when the girls problematic brother unexpectedly shows up. Not too bad.... 5.0/8

Guru, The Mad Monk (1970)

Horror: 15th century Chaplain exploits his power for the church. Not a very good attempt with this one... 2.5/8

Aquaslash (Canada-2019)

Horror: I am pretty sure some guy got this great idea of a kill scene and just shot a movie around it. A water park is re-opening after a tragedy some time ago and sure enough evil finds its way back...... Nothing to take serious in this one and just enjoy the scenery..... 3.0/8

In my mind I had Niven in a lot more WWII era flicks but looking at the imdb, not really that many.
He was kinda busy during the war, fighting as a commando behind enemy lines. He ended the war as a lieutenant colonel. On one occasion, before going into action, he reportedly told his troops "Look, you chaps only have to do this once. But I'll have to do it all over again in Hollywood with Errol Flynn!"

Last edited:
He was kinda busy during the war, fighting as a commando behind enemy lies. He ended the war as a lieutenant colonel. On one occasion, before going into action, he reportedly told his troops "Look, you chaps only have to do this once. But I'll have to do it all over again in Hollywood with Errol Flynn!"

I was wondering why he didnt make more movies. Thought maybe he was too old to be in the war until I looked at the birthdate.

Charade (1963) - I watched this based on last month's review by eastisbest. It was a very fun movie to watch. Audrey Hepburn is beautiful in this film. The banter between her and Cary Grant is reminiscent of movies from the 30's and 40's like the Thin Man films. Many interesting twists.

6/8

A Family Affair (1937)
-Although aware of the very long (16 films) Andy Hardy film series, I had never seen one until now. This is the film that started the series, starring Mickey Rooney as Andy Hardy. It was an okay family dramedy involving some political intrigue and domestic drama as well as Andy's teenage antics. I'll have to see one of the films that included Judy Garland as Andy's romantic interest.

5/6

Last edited: