What Movies Did You Watch In July 2020?

vamp2syd

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

#4158 The Vatican Tapes (US-2015) ... 2.5/8

#4159 The Shining 2: Doctor Sleep (US-2019) ... 6.5/8

#4160 Tammy and the T-Rex (uncut) (US-1994) ... 3.0/8

#4161 The Domestics (US-2018) ... 4.0/8

#4162 Jack the Ripper (UK-1959) ... 4.5/8

#4163 The Video Dead (US-1987) ... 3.0/8

#4164 Soomokjang (South Korea-2012) ... aka "Natural Burials" ... 2.5/8

#4165 Honsoom (South Korea-2016) ... aka "Hide and Never Seek" ... 3.0/8

#4166 Hong yi xiao nu hai (Taiwan-2015) ... aka "The Tag Along" ... 5.0/8

#4167 Hitokowa (Japan-2012) ... 4.0/8

#4168 Take Me Home (Thailand-2016) ... 5.5/8

#4169 Mai Lei Yeh (Hong Kong-2013) ... aka "Tales From the Dark 1" ... 3.5/8

#4170 The Siren (US-2019) ... 1.5/8

#4171 Sonyeogoedam (South Korea-2014) ... aka "Mourning Grave" ... 4.0/8

#4172 Cheun (Thailand-2009) ... aka "Slice" ... 6.0/8

#4173 Sum-bakk-og-jil (South Korea-2013) ... aka "Hide and Seek" ... 5.5/8

#4174 Gokiburi-tachi no tasogare (Japan-1987) ... aka "Twilight of the Cockroaches" ... 4.5/8

#4175 Midnight Hair (China-2014) ... 1.5/8

#4176 Zombie Massacre 2: Reich of the Dead (Canada-2015) ... 1.0/8

#4177 Oроолон (Cambodia-2016) ... aka "The Demon" ... 4.5/8

#4178 Nanatsu made wa kami no uchi (Japan-2011) ... aka "Vanished Girl in the Woods" ... 5.0/8

#4179 The Room (Japan-2012) ... 2.0/8

#4180 Hong yi xiao nu hai 2 (Taiwan-2017) ... aka "The Tag Along 2" ... 4.0/8

#4181 Hitokowa 2: Honto ni kowainowa ningen (Japan-2013) ... aka "Deadly Hauntings" ... 4.5/8

#4182 Ren mian yu: Hong yu xiao nuhai waizhuan (Taiwan-2018) ... aka "The Tag Along 3: Devil Fish ... 5.5/8

#4183 Mon Son Phee (Thailand-2015) ... aka "Ghost Ship" ... 2.5/8

Last edited:

The Good Liar (2019) ... 3.0/8

Found it boring and figured out very early what was going to happen.

Doctor Sleep (2019)

Horror: The Shining 2: When I heard they were making this I was worried that this would be a sequel to King's version but fortunately that was not the case and it is the sequel to Kubrick's. I watched both the Theatrical and Director's cut and I highly suggest watching the Director's Cut. A now adult Danny has to deal with a new threat. There is so much going on here and I felt they did a really good job keeping the feel of the original while giving us something new. I'm a huge fan of the Shining and this one did not disappoint.... 6.5/8

Tammy and the T-Rex (1994)

Comedy/Horror: The gory uncut version became available making this comedy into a comedy horror. Yes, the gore makes a huge difference to me otherwise I would not have watched this silly film about a girl who's boyfriends brain is put into a mechanical T-Rex.... 3.0/8

The Domestics (2018)

Horror: A couple must travel to Milwaukee following an apocalyptic event that leads to gangs running certain territories. This one had its moments but nothing else.... 4.0/8

Jack the Ripper (UK-1959)

Horror: Found this one on VHS when cleaning spare room so gave it a watch. Typical Jack the Ripper story but with a yankee cop who is also on the case. Got better as it went on .... 4.5/8

Rocky Balboa (2006) 4/8 The sixth installment of the Rocky franchise. Rocky comes out of retirement for an exhibition against the current champ. He's also dealing with the loss of Adrian. I saw this one when it first came out and didn't like it much. Despite being kind of slow, I actually thought it was a lot better this time around.

Monkey Business (1931) - Marx Brothers with great one liners and great musical chops. 6/8

Battleship Potemkin (1925)
(silent) - Eisenstein's masterpiece. 8/8

Earth vs. Flying Saucers (1956)
- Good story and great, for the time, special affects. 6/8

Deadwood: The Movie (2019)- I watched this immediately after binging the series. The series was outstanding; the movie doesn't measure up to it. The movie is centered around the town celebrating the statehood of South Dakota with characters who moved away coming back to join those who never left. To its credit, it was nice to see the development of the characters since the end of the series and the series was impossible to match. All in all it's decent but not exceptional. 5/8.

The Ringer (2005) 5/8 Johnny Knoxville and his uncle decide to fix the Special Olympics when Knoxville finds himself in a troubling financial situation. Knoxville becomes the mentally disabled Jeffy Dohmer (with an O) and the fix is in. Kind of a silly premise, but several laugh out loud moments. I always thought this movie was a little underrated.

The Video Dead (1987)

Horror: Low budget 80's cheese horror.... Sibling show up at a new house and find a TV in the basement. This is not your ordinary tv as it always shows a zombie flick where the zombs can transport through the TV into their house to wreak havoc. Zombie with chainsaw, yep... it happens here. With a $80,000 budget you get what you get...... 3.0/8

Soomokjang (South Korea-2012)

Horror: "Natural Burials" .... It is said that those who have a natural burial can hold their grudges within the trees.... or something like that. Well, I am starting my Asian Horror month and since I've seen just about all the really good ones I am not expecting much and this one did not disappoint unfortunately. This one follows a girl who seems to be having strange memories following a tree that had been transplanted across the street. The story was there it just could not deliver and this one became quite tedious and boring..... 2.5/8

Frost/Nixon 6/8 A simple story. I thought it was very fair with Nixon, which surprised me. Open mind, even a bit sympathetic to the difficulties of leadership. He never to my knowledge used the office to enrich himself or his friends and I thought the movie gave time for him to explain the difficulties he felt he faced and the regrets he had and showed they may have broken more than just his morale. His sanity maybe too. It displayed his bigotries without dweling as they did not affect the story. Frost came off wise. Though his colleagues did not seem to trust him, he held his ground. I think it also displayed him sympathetically and did not fall into the trap of the koombaya ending, Frost never proclaimed the same underdog motivations as Nixon as Nixon tried hard to ellicit. Without needing to say it, he was clearly everybit the mental warrior as Nixon proclaimed himself.

I wonder if that phone call was real?

Last edited:
Frost/Nixon 6/8 A simple story. I thought it was very fair with Nixon, which surprised me. Open mind, even a bit sympathetic to the difficulties of leadership. He never to my knowledge used the office to enrich himself or his friends and I thought the movie gave time for him to explain the difficulties he felt he faced and the regrets he had and showed they may have broken more than just his morale. His sanity maybe too. It displayed his bigotries without dweling as they did not affect the story. Frost came off wise. Though his colleagues did not seem to trust him, he held his ground. I think it also displayed him sympathetically and did not fall into the trap of the koombaya ending, Frost never proclaimed the same underdog motivations as Nixon as Nixon tried hard to ellicit. Without needing to say it, he was clearly everybit the mental warrior as Nixon proclaimed himself.

I wonder if that phone call was real?

You need to follow it up with Elvis & Nixon. Frost/Nixon is better, but Elvis & Nixon, including Michael Shannon's Elvis and Kevin Spacey's Nixon, is interesting.

Honsoom (South Korea-2016)

Horror: "Hide and Never Seek" ... Found footage type film about a live stream video hosts that explores different horror tales.... the stakes get pretty high when someone pays him to try and find a lost item at a haunted site where a girl disappeared after playing a Hide and Seek game with ghost ritual. A lot of blah and not enough scare..... could of and should of been much better..... 3.0/8

If you'd like to watch a sweet, touching and funny movie, try "Turnover" on Amazon Prime. 98% fan approval on FlIxter. Only name on the cast I recognized was Paul Guilfoyle. But an enjoyable movie for the wife and me.

Patriot Days 6/8 Hard pressed to think of a Peter Berg movie I didn't like. He does little things that get you emotional. Cutting to the cop standing over the boy's covered body, every few minutes did more than anything explicit could have possibly.

Last edited:
Hong yi xiao nu hai (Taiwan-2015)

Horror: "The Tag Along" ... This one is based on the Taiwanese Folk-Lore of Mountain Spirits. An elderly woman disappears as her elderly friend gets strange visions. Her grandson notices something different and after she goes missing he investigates with the help of his girlfriend..... Alright, this one wasn't that bad and had its rememberable moments..... 5.0/8

Knockaround Guys (2001) 3/8 Gangster movie starring Dennis Hopper, John Malkovich, Vin Diesel, and Barry Peppers about two generations of organized crime. The younger guys are trying to prove they got "it" to the old school guys. Vin Diesel has a pretty cool "500 Fights" monologue and there's a good twist but otherwise it was a little disappointing.

Athlete A (2020) 5/8 Netflix documentary about the US gymnastics scandal involving Larry Nassar with a focus on the young woman who was the first to report his behavior. Pretty informative and pretty sad what people who should have been protecting the young athletes allowed these girls to go through. I thought one of the better parts was when a former Olympian talked about her perception of the Kerry Strug vault in the 96 Olympics to secure the gold for America vs. what most others saw.

Hitokowa (Japan-2012)

Horror: An Anthology of shorts stories. Only 1 of the stories was supernatural in nature but all of the stories were OK. Nothing great here and it seemed to be a low budget affair with broken subtitles so there were some conversations that I had to guess on but I figured most of it out...... 4.0/8

1917 (2019) 8/8 An instant classic for me. Very well done and the action/tension starts almost immediately. Best new movie that I've seen in a long time.

Take Me Home (Thailand-2016)

Horror: Tan is involved in an accident and after coming out of a coma has lost his memory. Time passes when something leads him to who he is and eventually back home but things are not what they seem as he learns the house he lived in was cursed. This was a pretty good Thai Horror but the ending did lag a bit..... 5.5/8

The Social Network (2010) 7/8 Never really had any interest in this movie until I read an article a couple of weeks ago where Tarantino said he thought it was the best movie made so far this century. I like Tarantino, so I thought I would probably like the movie too. I knew very little about the story beforehand so that made it more interesting. Great story, well made, and I thought the cast was excellent. Glad I took the time to watch it.

And Justice For All (1979}

7/8

A lawyer (Al Pacino) is forced to defend a judge that he can't stand. It is a Crime Drama.

Last edited:
Mai Lei Yeh (Thailand-2013)

Horror: "Tales From the Dark 1" ... Anthology of 3 tales, "Stolen Goods", "A Word in the Palm", and "Jing Zhe" with the latter being the best of the bunch by far. ... 3.5/8

Just finished watching "Miss Meadows" starring the pride of TCC, Katie Holmes, who plays a grade school teacher with a lot of vengeness in her mind. Movie was shot in the Tremont neighborhood of Cleveland. 4/8

Just finished watching "Miss Meadows" starring the pride of TCC, Katie Holmes, who plays a grade school teacher with a lot of vengeness in her mind. Movie was shot in the Tremont neighborhood of Cleveland. 4/8

TCC? She went to Notre Dame, saw her in a HS play. That pirate one I think, name won't pop into my head.