What Movies Did You Watch in January 2020?

The Gentleman - 8/8

An absolute masterpiece. It's chock full of dry British humour which I love and every character was pretty much perfectly cast for the role. Had to control myself several times during the movie so I didn't burst into a laughing fit. I'll probably go see it again next week.

Might see that tomorrow

The Barn (2016)

Horror: Friends want to test a town legend on Halloween night. This was a low budget film that I started out liking but that did not last long..... 2.0/8

Eli (2019)

Horror: Eli is a sick boy seeking help at an experimental treatment center when he encounters strange things during the night. Really enjoyed this one.... 6.5/8

Velvet Buzzsaw (2019)

Horror: The discovery of art from a recently dead unknown artist spawns strange deaths of those in the art business. This was difficult to get into but once I survived the first hour it got better.... 4.5/8

The Two Popes (2019)- biographical drama about the relationship between Popes Benedict and Francis and the transition from Benedict to Francis. Interesting story about a friendship between twp very ideologically different men. It has some slow parts, but overall it was pretty good. Interesting to see Anthony Hopkins as Pope Beneddict. It's an interesting career that can take you from Claudius to Hannibal Lecter to Nixon to Pope Benedict. 6/8.

The Gentleman - 8/8

An absolute masterpiece. It's chock full of dry British humour which I love and every character was pretty much perfectly cast for the role. Had to control myself several times during the movie so I didn't burst into a laughing fit. I'll probably go see it again next week.
Just saw the movie. I have been trying to figure out how not to give it 8/8, but I can't. Worth the price of admission even if you don't get popcorn and a pop. Very enjoyable.

Last edited:
Guy Ritchie, I admit I was dismissive, celebrity whack-a-doo with the marriage to Madonna but in saner moments, I like his work. I'd be enjoying a movie I didn't know was his, that he was in and I didn't recognize his rather non-descript features. Then the credits roll, I'd usually say, I wonder which one was him? I mean, who comes up with

A British drug lord tries to sell off his highly profitable empire to a dynasty of Oklahoma billionaires.

?

Thats hilarious without even seeing the movie. I think I may have to spend some time binging his movies I've not seen.

1917: 5.5/8

I found myself a bit disappointed with this movie. It's visually stunning to be sure, and the continuous shot draws you in. After awhile though you forget you're watching a continuous shot though, and you're just left with writing and plot. That's where this movie lost me. The main character should have (well WOULD have) died no less than four times in this movie based on the events that took place. Somehow though, he comes out relatively unscathed. Even when they make you think he was shot, apparently it just grazed his ear and he fell down the steps and was knocked unconscious. Near the end, he walks into a group of soldiers, his own in fairness, but not a single soldier was on lookout. He just walks up and sits next to them up against a tree. I mean wtf? the biggest issue with this movie is that time after time it sacrifices believe-ability for a great visual shot. When in truth, the main character is an idiot and never would have completed his mission. Yet too much Mendes chooses the great shot over a believable scene. Lastly, German soldiers make Storekeepers look like sharp shooters.

The Gentlemen: 7.5/8

As others have said, hard to find faults with this movie. I'm not sure I can find one other than to say it didn't feel perfect, if that makes sense. I don't know that I had expectations going into this movie, but at the same time it didn't go the way I would have expected. As weird as that sounds. Great acting all around and a solid story.

The Addams Family: 4/8

Had no intention of seeing this but my daughter wanted to see it so I picked it up cheap (and got her to do some cleaning as payment). Better than I would have expecting. Nothing great, but both my kids liked it. My pre-teen who's pre-supposed to sarcasm enjoyed the snarky parts, as well as Wednesday in general. There's also subtle funny things like Wednesday's hair being braided into nooses.

I was sick this weekend so I didn't get to reply until now. Being sick makes for a good time to watch movies on TV.

So, this guy points out that the intense time driven nature of the stories was the main common characteristic. That is certainly not unique to these films nor original in any way shape or form. Time was the driving force in High Noon (1952) and myriad other films. 1917 did for the trenches of WWI what Das Boot (1981) did for WWI German U-boats and Fury (2014) WWII Sherman tanks. It took you there and made you feel what someone in that cramped, terrifying and uncomfortable position felt.

Blues Busters (1950) - Nothing new here just solid Bowery Boys film. I'd like to know what "routine six" really is.

4/8

Two Popes
- How entertaining can two old priests with very different points of view sitting, talking and watching soccer be? Surprisingly, quite entertaining. Both performances were dead on, with Jonathan Pryce being a dead ringer for Pope Francis. The film gave much insight into Pope Francis' past and the burden he carries for his actions vis a vis a corrupt and brutal federal government. It also shows Pope Benedict's regret that he did not do more about the priest sex scandal and the corruption in the Vatican's finances.

6/8

Marriage Story
- I am sorry, I just cannot stand to watch people who appear to have everything anyone would want whine about how unfulfilled they are. The scene with Laura Dern with the tea and the cookies just did me in. I could not watch any more. Revolutionary Road (2008) was much better.

3/8

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) 5/8 First time seeing this, thought it was pretty good, but not my favorite Scorsese movie but still pretty good. DiCaprio and Jonah Hill were great. Thought it was a little too long. It got slow through the middle. I would like to know how much of it is really true. Seems crazy that Belfort got away with that lifestyle for as long as he did.

All Eyez on Me (2017) 4/8 Biopic about Tupac Shakur, as a fan of his music, I'm probably rating this a little higher than it deserve. It's really just the same story that't been told through countless documentaries. I thought the guy in a the lead role did a pretty good job playing Pac, but outside of that there's not much to see.

The Silence of the Lambs (1991) 8/8 Classic movie about the hunt for a serial killer and an FBI trainee tasked with getting info from Hannibal Lecter (cannibal, serial killer) to solve the case. Excellent movie. Hopkins at his best and Foster is great too. Never but together the behavioral sciences connection between the movie and the Netflix show Mindhunters.

GI Jane (1997) 6/8 Demi Moore plays the first woman to go through SEAL training. Good story, a little outrageous and even bald Moore is a smoking hot.

Assimilate (2019)

Horror: Small town in Missouri where 2 boys are making a documentary of small town life when some strange things start to happen with the residents. This one has been done lots of times but it was entertaining for me.... 5.0/8

Polaroid (2019)

Horror: A girl's love for photography lands her an old Polaroid camera but why are her friends dying after she takes their picture with it. This is another done to death film but as long as I am entertained I am fine with it.... 5.0/8

Rattlesnake (2019)

Horror: Traveling through Texas a mother gets a scare when her young daughter is bit by a rattlesnake in the middle of nowhere. What would you do to save your child? ..... 5.0/8

Marriage Story - I am sorry, I just cannot stand to watch people who appear to have everything anyone would want whine about how unfulfilled they are. The scene with Laura Dern with the tea and the cookies just did me in. I could not watch any more.

If by that you mean you didn't watch any further, then I'm lol-ing because that's the exact spot I realized I needed to count the cobwebs in the room. Someday I'll finish, just because I'll wonder if it got interesting.

Hotel Artemis: 5.25/8

Didn’t quite live up to the hype it had when it first came out. It’s very reminiscent of a John Wick movie, especially the third Wick movie (a hotel under attack). A pretty good cast and great action but a basic plot. Definitely more action than plot. Again, very Wick like.

Wildcats (1986) 3.5/8 Goldie Hawn (Coach McGrath) gets the opportunity to become the head football coach of an inner city school in Chicago. After a rough start, the team turns it around and wins the all-city championship. I remember thinking this movie was a lot better when I was a kid. There were some laughs and a solid cast, but the football action was not very good. And for God's sake how many games can a team win on the last play?

1917 - 7/8

It shows the awfulness of war better than any movie I've seen. Very well done and you don't want to look away for a second.

Higher Learning (1995) 4.5/8 Saw this movie for the first time when I was in college (younger and more idealistic lol) and it really had an impact on me. I hadn't watched it in years and it was funny the way my views on the movie changed. It's still an okay view of freshman year of college from the viewpoint of several students. The movie ends in tragedy, but the build up is the really the story. A lot of familar faces in the cast and directed by John Singleton.

This is a question for Blue Jay, and anyone else who has an opinion: I am a fan of the 1933 film version (third of six versions) of Little Women and especially the performance of Kate Hepburn as Jo. So, if you have seen both the 1933 and the 2019 version, how do they compare? What was different between the two? How does the new version handle the Jo character?

I want to see then new one, but I generally hate remakes. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

This is a question for Blue Jay, and anyone else who has an opinion: I am a fan of the 1933 film version (third of six versions) of Little Women and especially the performance of Kate Hepburn as Jo. So, if you have seen both the 1933 and the 2019 version, how do they compare? What was different between the two? How does the new version handle the Jo character?

I want to see then new one, but I generally hate remakes. Your input would be greatly appreciated.
I have not watched the 1933 version, but this a Little Women is told a bit out of order and Ronan brings almost a present-day feel to the character. The changes from the book to the movie aren’t big, but they’re done in a way to make the entire story a bit more modern for 2020. Give it a go. It was one of my favorites of the year

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot: 5.5/8

Probably not a great movie on its own, but if you’re a fan of Kevin Smith movies, it’s a great trip down memory lane. Cameos, references and call backs to most all of his movies, even the stuff that are not in the “Jay and Silent Bob” universe. Also plenty of pop culture references, references to Marvel, DC, and Star Wars, etc...It’s one if those stupid fun movies.

Be sure to watch through the end. The credits have deleted scenes and gag reel throughout, including a touching bit with Stan Lee who was supposed to be in the movie but passed before filming. There’s also an after credits scene.

Anyone see Last Full Measure yet? Local theatre does not have it and wonder it worth making trip to the city

I have not watched the 1933 version, but this a Little Women is told a bit out of order and Ronan brings almost a present-day feel to the character. The changes from the book to the movie aren’t big, but they’re done in a way to make the entire story a bit more modern for 2020. Give it a go. It was one of my favorites of the year
1933 is worth watching if only for the Hepburn performance. As you know Kate was a very modern woman, for that time and for all time. If and when you watch it, I would like to hear what you think.