What Movies Did You Watch in February 2023?

vamp2syd

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

#4562 Old (US-2021) ... 4.0/8

#4563 The Witch in the Window (US-2018) ... 5.0/8

#4564 The Menu (US-2022) ... 4.5/8

#4565 The Field Guide to Evil (N/A-3028) ... 3.0/8

#4566 The Rope (Taiwan-2021) ... 5.0/8

#4567 Frankenstein Day of the Beast (US-2011) ... 4.5/8

xxxxx My Bloody Valentine (Canada-1981) ... 4.5/8

#4568 Escape the Field (US-2022) ... 3.5/8

#4569 The Day the Wind Blew (Japan-2021) ... 5.0/8

#4570 The Rats Are Coming! The Werewolves Are Here! (UK-1972) ... 2.5/8

#4571 We're All Going to the World's Fair (US-2021) ... 4.5/8

Last edited:

THE BATTERED BASTARDS OF BASEBALL (2014)

Netflix

A documentary film about the Portland Mavericks Single A baseball team that played as an Independent in the Northwest League for 5 seasons in the mid 70's. The team was owned/founded by actor Bing Russell (a regular on Bonanza, and Kurt Russell's dad), who advertised and used "Open Tryouts" to form the team.

For those who care, the film gets a 100% rating from Rotten Tomato.

Enjoyable watch, High recommend. It's just about an hour and 15 minutes.

Wakanda Forever 5/8 I liked the story, the established actors but none of the new actors even though I thought the characters and their background generally good with exception new smart kid was given a story that was WAY too cliche. Dreyfus flat out sucked. Flashback scenes tugged at the eyes a bit. He was very good in the role. Not really caring for the new one as it removes a character I really liked and essentially merged three roles into one.

Old (2021)

Horror Drama: A special chosen group of resort guests get to check out an isolated beach that has dire consequences. One can pick this film apart like Swiss Cheese and then there is that strange "bad" acting thing going on which I blame on accents.... but the premise is really strong.... 4.0/8

Old (2021)

Horror Drama: A special chosen group of resort guests get to check out an isolated beach that has dire consequences. One can pick this film apart like Swiss Cheese and then there is that strange "bad" acting thing going on which I blame on accents.... but the premise is really strong.... 4.0/8

It’s been awhile since I’ve seen it. Are they specially chosen or just random?

Americanization of Emily (1964) - Fun to watch Mary Poppins as a hot sex object. James Gardner plays to type as the charming anti-hero (read Maverick). Entertaining film, although some of the preachifying gets to be a bit much.

6/8

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka (1988) ... 5.0/8

Been over 30 years since I've seen this one and forgot how much of a satire/parody it was......

The Witch in the Window (2018)

Horror: A separated father brings his 12 year old son to an old farmhouse that he is planning on flipping but awaken a spirit/witch in the process. This one was a bit different but went a different direction than I was hoping for..... still a solid slow burn.... 5.0/8

The Menu (2022)

Horror: An elite group on a remote island to eat at an exclusive restaurant find that something is quite not right. Not sure how I feel about this one.... 4.5/8

THE BATTERED BASTARDS OF BASEBALL (2014)

Netflix

A documentary film about the Portland Mavericks Single A baseball team that played as an Independent in the Northwest League for 5 seasons in the mid 70's. The team was owned/founded by actor Bing Russell (a regular on Bonanza, and Kurt Russell's dad), who advertised and used "Open Tryouts" to form the team.

For those who care, the film gets a 100% rating from Rotten Tomato.

Enjoyable watch, High recommend. It's just about an hour and 15 minutes.
watched it last night.... thanks for the tip, I really enjoyed this..... even got my big league CHEW out when i watched it :)

You People (2023) 5/8 A white Jewish guy (Jonah Hill) and a AA Muslim girl (Lauren London) meet and fall in love and have to deal with their differences and disapproval of their families. Star studded cast with Eddie Murphy, Nia Long, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and David Duchovny playing the parents of the main characters. A little cheesy, but it's a rom-com, but plenty of laughs throughout. Best role I've seen Murphy play in a while.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022) 6.5/8 A little longer than I felt it needed to be, but one of the better additions to the MCU, especially in the newest phase. Solid twist in the credit scene added to the movie, as well.

You People (2023) 5/8 A white Jewish guy (Jonah Hill) and a AA Muslim girl (Lauren London) meet and fall in love and have to deal with their differences and disapproval of their families. Star studded cast with Eddie Murphy, Nia Long, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and David Duchovny playing the parents of the main characters. A little cheesy, but it's a rom-com, but plenty of laughs throughout. Best role I've seen Murphy play in a while.
I just watched this as well, and totally agree on Murphy. This was tailor-made for him.

I just watched this as well, and totally agree on Murphy. This was tailor-made for him.
Watched this over the weekend as well, and I'm torn on what I watched. I liked the premise, but it was cringe-worthy at times (and I'm not sure if they were going for funny or cringe-worthy).

Watched this over the weekend as well, and I'm torn on what I watched. I liked the premise, but it was cringe-worthy at times (and I'm not sure if they were going for funny or cringe-worthy).
Agreed. There were definitely some moments that were attempting to capture that vibe. Lol. I was in search of a mindless comedy without the need for critical thinking after a long day, so this fit the bill for sure.

Untold: Crimes and Penalties (2021)

Netflix

A sports documentary about a minor league hockey team in Danbury, Connecticut.

James Galante buys the team then gifts it to his spoiled son who's a 17 year old senior in high school. What could go wrong here?

Wait just a minute.........................Is that James Galante of the Genovese Crime Family? Yep, it sure is! And now the FBI has an acute interest in the Danbury Trashers.

90 minutes, chock full of lowlifes and minor league characters.............some likeable, some not.

The Good Nurse (2022) 2.5/8 True story about nurse and serial killer Charlie Cullen. Movie focused mainly on his relationship with fellow nurse Amy Loughren and how she helped solve the case that hospitals had covered up over a 16 year period where he murdered dozens of patients. Very slow, especially for a movie about a serial killer.

End of the Road (2022) 3/8 A sister (Queen Latifah) and brother (Ludacris) moving to Texas with her two kids witness a murder and encounter a very bad man along the way. Just not that good and pretty predictable.

Untold: Crimes and Penalties (2021)

Netflix

A sports documentary about a minor league hockey team in Danbury, Connecticut.

James Galante buys the team then gifts it to his spoiled son who's a 17 year old senior in high school. What could go wrong here?

Wait just a minute.........................Is that James Galante of the Genovese Crime Family? Yep, it sure is! And now the FBI has an acute interest in the Danbury Trashers.

90 minutes, chock full of lowlifes and minor league characters.............some likeable, some not.
well if it is as good as the Bastards of baseball was..... looks like i have something to watch tonight instead of the State of the Union...LOL!!!

well if it is as good as the Bastards of baseball was..... looks like i have something to watch tonight instead of the State of the Union...LOL!!!
The Untold Series on Netflix is very well done. The Girlfriend Who Didn't Exist 6/8 Manti Te'o story) and Operation Flagrant Foul 6/8 (Tim Donaghy) are worth watching.

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

#4562 Old (US-2021) ... 4.0/8

#4563 The Witch in the Window (US-2018) ... 5.0/8

#4564 The Menu (US-2022) ... 4.5/8
THE MOST horrifying movie I ever saw was when I was eight, 'The Creature from the Black Lagoon', in 3D!

Rogue Hostage (2021) 1.5/8 Tyrese plays an ex-Marine dealing with PTSD after serving in the Middle East. John Malkovich plays his stepdad and is a local business owner and congressman. A hostage situation takes places in one of the stores Malkovich owns and a struggling ex-Marine saves the day. A lot of holes, not much originality and Tyrese was a giant wuss for about 90% of the movie. Pretty much a waste and an hour and a half I can't get back.

The Field Guide to Evil (2018)

Horror: Anthology of 8 stories about different urban legends around the world. Some of these stories were confusing and overall not really likeable..... 3.0/8

The Rope (Taiwan-2021)

Horror: A woman who interrupts a purification death ritual becomes cursed. This one had its moments as well as a surprise or two..... 5.0/8

Titanic (1997): 8/8

A timeless classic
I was in a hostel, 10-12 of us mostly commonwealth types watching tv, when this came on. The guys didn't care, just there to hang out. A few girls objected, the others joined in with the usual can't we watch something else, this sucks, Winslets is horrible, overrated.... But they kept it on. Half were crying by end.

Frankenstein Day of the Beast (2011)

Horror: I was watching a movie where characters were watching something on TV. What they were watching looked to be much more interesting than the movie itself. That movie was this one. Found it on Tubi.... This was a low budget film so if you can get through the bad acting it will be fine. An interesting story about Victor and the monster that wants to torture him by killing everyone around him. This one takes place in a cold remote area where the cast is being stalked by the monster.... 4.5/8