What Movies Did You Watch in December 2020?

Fatman- 4/8. Weird movie bc the plot is so ridiculous but the tone of the movie is so serious

White Christmas (1954) - Watched it again for the nth time. Good film with great musical numbers. I am a sucker for Rosemary Clooney. Everyone knows that Rosemary got her start at WLW in Cincinnati. I didn't realize until yesterday that her co-start Vera-Ellen grew up in Norwood and took dance lessons with that other famous Cincinnatian, Doris Day.

Two things always distract me when watching the film; Crosby seems too old and stiff for his role and Vera-Ellen is too darn thin. Crosby's singing and Vera-Ellen's dancing make up for it though and Danny Kaye is always a joy to watch.

6/8

You watch this one yet? I’m Thinking of Ending Things

Any good?
I watched this a few months back. Not sure I would qualify it as a horror movie, definitely a brain-bender. I thought it was interesting but somewhat hard to follow. Have been planning to watch it again because I think it might be better a second time around.

Die Hard (1988) 7/8 Classic action film. Never really thought of it as Christmas film but somehow I always seem to watch it around Christmas.

Peppermint (2018) 4/8 Jenifer Garner plays suburban mom who's family is murdered. She robs the bank she worked at, disappears for 5 years and comes back for revenge on the 5th anniversary of the murders. Not bad, but this story has been made and remade a thousand times.

Body Cam (2020) 2/8 Not at all what I expected. Mary J. Blige plays a cop investigating a string of cop killings. Things take a scary turn and "something" is tracking down these cops for revenge. I was expecting another good cop/bad cop, killing innocent black guys type movie, but this turned into a pretty graphic horror movie. All in all, it wasn't very good.

Hillbilly Elegy - I have not read the book. Apparently the two complaints are; it did not include the political implications that were present in the book and it did not accurately represent Appalachian families. I believe that the "forgotten man" aspect that supports Republican polices and Trump specifically were present, although very subtle. The second criticism only has merits if you see this depiction of a single family as being the case for all Appalachian families. This story was about one family which was part of the migration of coal mining families to the industrial centers in the North. They did experience the challenges that many other families in that migration experienced. The loss of manufacturing jobs, the ravages of oxycodone and now heroin were more common in these families than the public in general. I know these families. I have had in-laws who were part of this migration. This film, while not representing all the families in this demographic, does a great job in telling the story of this family, facing challenges that are not unique to just this family.

All of the performances were very strong, especially those of Glen Close and Amy Adam. The telling of the story was well crafted by Ron Howard.

6/8
I watched this movie last night. Thought it was well done. Plus, I thought it disproved a falsehood repeated on this Board all the time that people from rural communities can't move for new opportunity.

Temple (Japan-2017)

Horror: Alrighty... so after watching this one I was surprised by the low ratings and read some reviews. No plot? What... were you not paying attention.... Confused, who died? No confusion.... if you payed attention. OK, I usually don't go into much details but on this one I will just to proove the nay sayers wrong. Kate is a student who is studying culture and decides to take a trip to Japan with her long time friend Christopher who shares the same interests. They meet up with her boyfriend James who has never met Christopher which leads to some awkwardness but eventually James gets over it. Kate is interested in the Temples of Japan and comes across a journal at an old ma and pop book store that describes one in the area. The locals warn her that the Temple is bad luck and to stay away.... well, we know that is not going to happen. With the aid of a village boy who takes them up the mountain to the temple the journey begins but they are once again warned and told by the boy not to stay after dark. Yeah, something happens and they get stuck at the temple...... I won't go farther but you see there is definitely a plot. I will agree with one thing and that was this had lots more potential but fizzled out likely do to lack of funding.... The twist was pretty weak as there was no surprise and pretty obvious but the atmosphere made up for it. Overall Temple is a decent flick with an abrupt ending. This one could of been done found footage style.. If your looking for action this one is not for you....... 5.0/8

Dark Beacon (UK-2017)

Horror: A woman tracks down her girlfriend at lighthouse where her state of mind is not quite right. Slow burn with isolation moody vibe.... 4.0/8

Rocky II (1979) 5/8 and Rocky III (1982) 4/8 Outside of Rocky V these are probably my least favorite in the series, though I have to admit I will watch any of them anytime they're on.

Rocky II (1979) 5/8 and Rocky III (1982) 4/8 Outside of Rocky V these are probably my least favorite in the series, though I have to admit I will watch any of them anytime they're on.
Watch the marathon as well?

I like 2 and 3. Wont watch 5.

Without looking, what is Mickey's last name....

Watch the marathon as well?

I like 2 and 3. Wont watch 5.

Without looking, what is Mickey's last name....
Oh yeah. It's Gold..something, can't remember the last part. I'll watch 5, I like the wannabe pimp promoter that signs up Tommy Gunn. I read an article the other day that said Rocky V is the one most people remember because they like it the least. I thought that was interesting.

Oh yeah. It's Gold..something, can't remember the last part. I'll watch 5, I like the wannabe pimp promoter that signs up Tommy Gunn. I read an article the other day that said Rocky V is the one most people remember because they like it the least. I thought that was interesting.
I have only watched it once, and never again.

Goldmill! I always forget it until I see that part of the movie, and watched it last night.

I like 5. At least it tried to be different.

You Again (2010) ... 5.0/8

yeah, don't be shocked as I do watch movies that are not horror every once in awhile..... I cannot resist Betty White so this one was a must!!!!!

Friends Don't Let Friends (US-2017)

Horror: A girl asks her friends for help disposing a body that leads them stranded in the desert at night with something after them. This was a low budget student film that pretty much stole a twist plot from a blockbuster.... this one was a mess..... 2.0/8

Black Christmas (2019)

Horror: What a pile of crap this was...... Obvious ploy to get people to watch by using the name but is nothing more than a hate white men fiasco written by I'm guessing lesbians..... 1.5/8

Hillbilly Elegy - I have not read the book. Apparently the two complaints are; it did not include the political implications that were present in the book and it did not accurately represent Appalachian families. I believe that the "forgotten man" aspect that supports Republican polices and Trump specifically were present, although very subtle. The second criticism only has merits if you see this depiction of a single family as being the case for all Appalachian families. This story was about one family which was part of the migration of coal mining families to the industrial centers in the North. They did experience the challenges that many other families in that migration experienced. The loss of manufacturing jobs, the ravages of oxycodone and now heroin were more common in these families than the public in general. I know these families. I have had in-laws who were part of this migration. This film, while not representing all the families in this demographic, does a great job in telling the story of this family, facing challenges that are not unique to just this family.

All of the performances were very strong, especially those of Glen Close and Amy Adam. The telling of the story was well crafted by Ron Howard.

6/8
If you live in Ohio your forefather's family probably came here for a better life to work in some sort of a mill a couple generations ago. Does not matter if it is Middleton, Youngstown, Toledo, Fostoria, or Mansfield...

Even though I'm slightly older than JD Vance the houses and the families in this movie really ring true. Everyone smoked. Everyone "looked" like they did in this movie. I'm just unsure Vance understands that this was more common place.

Amy Adams and Glenn Close should win awards for their acting in this movie.

Toy Soldiers- 4/8. Early 90s movie with Sean Astin, Louis Gosset Jr, Denholm Elliot. Terrorists take a Prep School hostage. It’s not a great movie by any stretch, but it’s entertaining enough to fill 90 or so minutes.

Note: this is not to be confused with the movie Small Soldiers from the late 90s, where actual toy soldiers started to rebel vs humans.

Black Christmas (2019)

Horror: What a pile of crap this was...... Obvious ploy to get people to watch by using the name but is nothing more than a hate white men fiasco written by I'm guessing lesbians..... 1.5/8
You should’ve known better.