What Movies Did You Watch in December 2020?

vamp2syd

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

#4231 Critters 5: Critters Attack! (US-2019) ... 5.0/8

#4232 Multiple Maniacs (US-1970) ... 2.0/8

#4233 Black Past (West Germany-1989) ... 3.0/8

#4234 Antropophagus (Italy-1980) ... 4.0/8

#4235 The Grudge 4 (US-2020) ... 5.0/8

#4236 Fantasy Island (US-2020) ... 2.0/8

#4237 The Amityville Murders (US-2018) ... 5.5/8

#4238 Zombieland 2: Double Tap (US-2019) ... 6.0/8

#4239 Beneath Us (US-2019) ... 4.0/8

#4240 Godzilla (US-1998) ... 4.0/8

#4241 Boo! (US-2018) ... 3.0/8

#4242 Temple (Japan-2017) ... 5.0/8

#4243 Dark Beacon (UK-2017) ... 4.0/8

#4244 Friends Don't Let Friends (US-2017) ... 2.0/8

#4245 Black Christmas (US-2019) ... 1.5/8

Last edited:

Eye of the Devil (1966) - I like David Niven. That was the primary reason I queued up this film. Not a great film. It was ok. This was only the third film in which I have seen Donald Pleasence. The biggest highlight of the film was definitely Sharon Tate who was incredibly beautiful.

4/8

Critters Attack! (2019)

Horror: 5th Critters movie and this one was a quite fun watch. A babysitter and the kiddies have a run in with the Crites in a small town. OK, so these 9 year old kids are played by actors who are easily over 15 years of age and to the point where they make fun of it.... 5.0/8

Multiple Maniacs (1970)

Horror: WTF, John Waters.... Divine leads circus freaks into crime but it gets out of control as Divine's life spirals downward..... This was one strange tough watch with an ending that you have to see to believe...... Not very good and definitely not for many..... 2.0/8

OK, so this film is known for the giant Lobster rape scene...... well, I won't show you that scene but there is a reaction video for it and you can use your imagination about what is actually happening on screen..... !!!!!

WATCH IF YOU DARE!

Seven Days in May (1964) - Compelling political intrigue. looking at it through our 21st century eyes, we see a lot of parallels to what is happening today. Both sides of the last elections will relate to the "good guys" in this film.

6/8

Baby Face (1933) - 6.5/8 - Pre-Code movie, starring Barbara Stanwyck. Notorious Pre-Code film about a promiscuous young women that seduces and sleeps her way to the top of a major international bank. Scandalous for the day. John Wayne has a small role. Definitely entertaining.

The Queen (2006)- this movie focuses on Queen Elizabeth during the time around Princess Diana's death, focusing in large part upon her relationship with the newly elected Tony Blair. Helen Mirren plays a convincing stuffy monarch while the movie makes Tony Blair the hero. Not bad. Not great. 5.5.

Greyhound - I had been looking forward to watching this for over a year. We finally got AppleTV just to see this film. The amount of detail in this film is amazing. Showing these guys do quick manual calculations as they struggle to locate submerged U-boats during an attack was very exciting for me. I could see where someone less interested in history than I am might not have found it as thrilling as I did. The love interest was unnecessary and a bit of a distraction. Hanks is as good as always and brought a depth to the character he played. Showing relief after sinking a German sub while still mourning the loss of the German seamen went a long way to humanize the character.

6/8

I liked that movie. I read a couple reviews and it was criticized for the repetitive commands. But that's exactly how it's done, in order to avoid miscommunication. I seem to recall the love interest was particularly pertinent towards the captain's decision making and that humanity so that it seemed rooted. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Peppermint (2018)- Jennifer Garner plays a woman whose husband and daughter are killed by a drug cartel who then goes on a huge vigilante tear to take down the cartel. Predictable and formulaic but very enjoyable. Kind of a 21st century Death Wish. It's poorly acted but fun. One of those movies where you enjoy the grizzly murders. 5/8, but recommended if you just want to enjoy a movie without thinking.

Hillbilly Elegy - I have not read the book. Apparently the two complaints are; it did not include the political implications that were present in the book and it did not accurately represent Appalachian families. I believe that the "forgotten man" aspect that supports Republican polices and Trump specifically were present, although very subtle. The second criticism only has merits if you see this depiction of a single family as being the case for all Appalachian families. This story was about one family which was part of the migration of coal mining families to the industrial centers in the North. They did experience the challenges that many other families in that migration experienced. The loss of manufacturing jobs, the ravages of oxycodone and now heroin were more common in these families than the public in general. I know these families. I have had in-laws who were part of this migration. This film, while not representing all the families in this demographic, does a great job in telling the story of this family, facing challenges that are not unique to just this family.

All of the performances were very strong, especially those of Glen Close and Amy Adam. The telling of the story was well crafted by Ron Howard.

6/8

Hillbilly Elegy - I have not read the book. Apparently the two complaints are; it did not include the political implications that were present in the book and it did not accurately represent Appalachian families. I believe that the "forgotten man" aspect that supports Republican polices and Trump specifically were present, although very subtle. The second criticism only has merits if you see this depiction of a single family as being the case for all Appalachian families. This story was about one family which was part of the migration of coal mining families to the industrial centers in the North. They did experience the challenges that many other families in that migration experienced. The loss of manufacturing jobs, the ravages of oxycodone and now heroin were more common in these families than the public in general. I know these families. I have had in-laws who were part of this migration. This film, while not representing all the families in this demographic, does a great job in telling the story of this family, facing challenges that are not unique to just this family.

All of the performances were very strong, especially those of Glen Close and Amy Adam. The telling of the story was well crafted by Ron Howard.

6/8

Exactly, and it is more of a common story than the critics recognize in large part to their limited life experience.

Funny Onion article about Ron Howard's reaction to the critics-

Black Past (West Germany-1989)

Horror: OK, so we have this thing where a family moves into a new house and the son Thommy (that is right, spelled with an "h") finds a cursed mirror. Well, we have seen enough of these movies to know what is going to happen and boy does it. Now, this is a splatter film so it is all about the gore which there is plenty of the sadistic imagery to keep one satisfied. The acting though is pitiful which makes it a hard watch..... 3.0/8

Antropophagus (Italy-1980)

Horror: Alright, I have been waiting awhile for this one and watched with high hopes...... well, that was a mistake. A group of friends and a stranger find themselves stranded on an island with someone or something stalking them..... This one is famous for a certain scene which got it on the nasty list during its time but now a days nothing shocking at all....... A bit disappointed but still well worth the watch..... 4.0/8

The Grudge 4 (2020)

Horror: Yes, one of my favorite series (Ju-on/Grudge) and frankly I was not expecting much at all. Once I got over the fact that there will be no Toshio I was fine and enjoyed this installment. So Grudge 4 takes place simultaneously with Grudge and Grudge 2. Here we follow a couple of stories including a detective who is trying to solve the mysterious deaths....... out of the 12 movies I have seen in the series this one ranks 10th ....... 5.0/8

Funny Onion article about Ron Howard's reaction to the critics-

Too funny. I had my wife read it without letting her know the source. She could not believe that came from the little "Opie Cunningham" she knows and loves from Andy Griffith and Happy Days.

World Without End (1956) - A better than average 1950's SF flick with the usual warning of the threat of nuclear annihilation. This film is distinguished from others by being filmed in Technicolor and having better than average acting. The main theme, one I think is very relevant today, is the feminization of the American male. In this film, men have cowered in underground homes and failed to challenge the mutants who have taken over the surface. They, like many "Liberals" today, have sought comfort over freedom and have chosen safety over personal liberty.

No sooner did I finish watching this, my wife put on Disney's Christmas Sing Along hosted by the wussy looking Ryan Seacrest and featuring a K-Pop group made up of the most girly looking dudes I have seen since Boy George. Clearly, the concern raised by the film is very much with us today.

5/8

Last edited:
Mank - 3/8

Maybe it's me expecting better from Fincher but I found the movie tedious. The main character is pretty insufferable and we spend the entire 2 hours with him. The best part of it was probably Orson Welles, the actor was spot on.

Hat Full of Rain (1957) - Great film about brotherly love, drug addition, medical malfeasance, PTSD, all before any of that (except brotherly love) was spoken of in the general public. Great performances and compelling story. It involves a Korean War veteran who was badly injured during the war. His treatment included an over prescription of morphine which left him addicted.

7/8

The Amityville Murders (2018)

Horror: This was the 22nd Amityville movie and honestly I will never get tired of them. This one re-tells the story of the DeFeo family and the gruesome killings. A lot to like in this one especially if you are me!!!!! ..... One of the better in the series.... 5.5/8

Zombieland: Double Tap (2020)

Horror: I absolutely hated Zombieland but because of my infliction I have to watch the next if it becomes available to me. This one did and off we go..... What, we actually have Zombies in this one!!!! Hell yeah..... this was a complete surprise and loved the shot at Walking Dead as well as the "Shaun of the Dead" scene!!!! Could of had a better ending but not complaining.... great flick!!! ... 6.0/8

Beneath Us (2018)

Horror: house flipping couple manipulate undocumented workers to do renovations with no plans of paying them or allowing them to ever leave the property. I'll leave my political opinions out of this one..... the movie, I guess it was OK.... 4.0/8

Godzilla (1998)

Kaiju: Fans of the Godzilla films really hate this one.... just because I have seen every Godzilla movie does not necessarily make me a fan but just that I have a disorder..... Frankly, it really wasn't that bad. A large reptile is let loose on Manhatten and it is up to a Matthew Broderick to save the day..... I loved the cast for this and it had that charm to it but that was all it had as the CGI Godzilla was not up to par and there was an issue with scaling as well. Anyhow, over all it was fair and that was good enough for me..... 4.0/8

Boo! (2018)

Horror: No, this is not the comedy one..... a religious fanatic in a bi-racial marriage ignores a chain letter that unleashes a curse on Halloween night. This movie was incredibly stale with crap acting with the exception of the daughter. It started getting decent towards the end but it was long lost by then... 3.0/8

Caught an advance screening of WW84 Tuesday night. I was entertained - 5.5/8.

Kristen Whig was particularly excellent.