What Movies Did You Watch In December 2019?

vamp2syd

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

#3976 US (US-2019) ... 5.5/8

#3977 Dead Ant (US-2017) ... 4.0/8

#3978 Hollow (US-2015) ... 3.5/8

#3979 My Super Psycho Sweet 16 Part 3 (US-2012) ... 3.0/8

#3980 Piranha DD (US-2012) ... 2.5/8

#3981 Paranormal Activity 6: The Ghost Dimension (US-2015) ... 6.5/8

#3982 Double Date (UK-2017) ... 2.0/8

#3983 The Mysterious Doctor (US-1943) ... 4.0/8

#3984 The Girl With All The Gifts (UK-2016) ... 5.5/8

#3985 Wrong Turn 6: Last Resort (US-2015) ... 3.5/8

#3986 11 Minut (Poland-2015) ... 5.0/8

#3987 Piranha Part Two: The Spawning (Italy-1981) ... 4.0/8

#3988 Resident Evil 5: Retirbution (Germany-2012) ... 3.0/8

#3989 In The Tall Grass (Canada-2019) ... 2.5/8

#3990 L'orribile segreto del Dr. Hichcock (Italy-1962) ... 3.0/8

#3991 Play or Due (Belgium-2019) ... 2.0/8

#3992 Pooka! (US-2018) ... 6.5/8

Last edited:

US (2019)

Horror: Just about everyone has heard of this one so no plot given here.... I just really don't want to think too much about this one as the more I do the less I will like it. ... 5.5/8

Dead Ant (2017)

Horror/Comedy: Hey, I know those guys.... Tom Arnold and Sean Astin anyhow a struggling metal band decides to head out to the desert do some drugs in order to write songs .... well, they were told one thing. Do not harm any living thing on Indian land.... well, ..... ok, there are giant ants. Silly fun here.... 4.0/8

The Apostle (1997) - Hadn't seen it for quite some time. Saw it again with my wife who had not seen it before. Great film. Great performance by Robert Duvall.

7/8

Looking for Danger (1957)
- What is a Bowery Boys movie without Slip Mahonny? Not much. I believe tis is the first film without Slip. Yes Sach is still funny but Duke doesn't cut it as a foil to his craziness.

3/8

Hollow (2015)

Horror: Every 100 years a creature stalks an island off the coast of British Columbia killing everyone in sight. Well, it has been 100 years since the last as 3 sisters visit an aunt on this island.... this goes does as started out pretty interesting but faded as time went on.... 3.5/8

Beavis & Butthead Do America- 6/8 based strictly on the comedy scale. I know it’s low brow and juvenile, but it always makes me laugh

Booksmart (2019) 5/8 Think Superbad but with high school girls. Two girls who have done everything right in high school set out to do everything wrong the night before graduation. The idea has been done before, but it definitely had some laughs and I liked the two girls in the lead role.

My Super Psycho Sweet 16 Part 3 (2012)

Horror: It has been 2 years since Part 2 but that does not mean the killings have stopped. Part 3 really took a hit backwards in the series and the new characters are dull.... 3.0/8

Piranha DD (2012)

Horror Comedy: Those pesky prehistoric piranha from 3D find their way to a new water park that is having its grand opening. While I loved Piranha 3D, Piranha 3DD just did not deliver the goods. Far from it .... 2.5/8

Last edited:
The Irishman- 2019- this is a much anticipated Scorsese mob movie about Frank Sheeran, a truck driver who becomes a hitman involved with the Bufalino crime family and an enforcer for Jimmy Hoffa. It's hard not to like a Scorsese movie with DeNiro, Pacino and Pesci and this one is decent. The movie uses CGI to make those guys younger then age them through the movie, but they often too look too old for where they are supposed to be in their lives and you can't help but notice that their bodies always look like guys in their late 70's, even when they're supposed to be in their 30's. Also, the movie is nearly 3-1/2 hours long. Good, not great. 6/8.

Paranormal Activity 6: The Ghost Dimension

Horror: The Fleeges and their young daughter have moved into their new home only to discover a strange camera and video tapes. They discover that the camera can pick up strange images meanwhile their daughter is talking to somebody named Toby that only she can see. Was this the final one, I hope not as I thought this was one the best of the series.... 6.5/8

Windy City Heat- 7/8 on comedy scale. This is perhaps the greatest meltdown ever caught on film

Dark Waters: 5/8

Filmed in Hamilton and Cincinnati so that was cool. Solid docudrama

They filmed right by my work. It’s still not enough for me to actually see the movie in theaters. It seems like an Erin Brockovitch rip off

It Chapter Two: 5.5/8

Sufficiently scarier than the first, and I like that they changed the ending, at least from what I know the ending to be from the miniseries (never read the book). There's also one change in death from the miniseries. Agree with others that it's too long, probably by 20 minutes easy. That said, I still don't think they went far enough into the Pennywise backstory as they could have. They give you a couple teases, but that's it.

Once Upon A Time In...Hollywood: 4.75/8

Such an amazing cast, such a boring movie. It's not good that in a movie aboue an actor making a movie, the movie within the movie is more interesting than the actual movie you're watching. And what's with a narrator just showing up 2 hours into the movie? It screamed "we're stuck and need something to push the story to its end". That said, the last 30 minutes was the most interesting even though it had little at all to do with the first 2 hours. This movie is very much about three different stories that never quite come together to make a great story.

I haven't seen all of Tarantino's movies (I think I've seen 8 of the 10), but this is easily my least favorite.

The King (2019) 5/8 Thought it was pretty good. Netflix has upped their game with their last couple original movies. Heard The Marriage is pretty good as well, but I'll wait to watch that one with the wife.

Oh, Ramona (2019) 3/8 Romanian comedy about an awkward teenager in love with the hot girl at school. Based on a book written by a Romanian comic, apparently was a blockbuster in Romania. A few funny parts but nothing special.

Once Upon a Time In Hollywood (2019) 6/8 Second time watching it and I liked it a little more than the first time. That's usually the case for me with Tarantino movies. DiCaprio and Pitt are outstanding, but the story is still lacking something that keeps it from being great.

Fast and Furious 6: 5.75/8

Fast Five is considered the best of the franchise, but I actually like #6 a little more. IMO the villain is a little stronger, and granted I'm also a Luke Evans fan. The action doesn't quite get full on insane yet in this one. The ending is a bit out there but physics wise it might work.

Furious 7: 5.25/8

Another solid installment to the franchise, but I'd put it just below it's two predecessor's. IMO they made Statham's Shaw character a bit too dominant. I could have done with his character being built up a little more and maybe even having a touch of vulnerability.

One thing I'll say I like about the franchise is the continuity. When they add a character, it's never just for one film. You see them back in the next.

Double Date (UK-2017)

Horror/Comedy: Two blokes look for some chicks to pick up at the pub but choose the wrong ones. This was a huge dud..... 2.0/8

The Mysterious Doctor (1943)

Horror: The town people of Morgan's Head are terrorized of the tin mines as it is haunted by a headless ghost. A doctor shows up to get to the bottom of it but they become suspicious of him as well. Not too shabby for a 40's flick.... 4.0/8

The Girl With All The Gifts (UK-2016)

Horror: What the heck is going on with these kids.... oh well, it is better that you know nothing of this film going into it. A different take on a popular horror genre.... 5.5/8

6 Underground: 4.75/8

a very solid cast and at times great action, but the writing is where this movie falls short. It feels like they thought they could just mail it in since they had Ryan Reynolds. It’s a shame because this legitimately could be Netflix’s first movie franchise. Hopefully it puts up good enough numbers to warrant a better sequel. There’s enough there to be intrigued by a sequel.

Jumanji, The Next Level: 6.75/8

Wow, I knew I’d probably end up liking this but I walked out amazed at how good it was. My whole family agreed it’s even better than the first. This one has a little more depth to it but also ended up being even funnier than the first. Johnson, Hart and Black all take their impersonations to the next level. Gillman is great as well but isn’t asked to play a new character like the others. Devoto and Glover are solid additions but their biggest contributions are Johnson and Hart’s impersonations of them. It also may be my favorite Aqwafina role to date.

And of course there is a mid-credits scene that sets up an intriguing sequel.

Last edited: