What Movies Did You Watch in August 2020?

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee (2007) HBO made for TV - Decent telling of a very sad but true story. Acting was ok. The Native American actors did a much better job than some of the others. Fred Thompson was a bit clunky as President Grant.

5/8

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee (2007) HBO made for TV - Decent telling of a very sad but true story. Acting was ok. The Native American actors did a much better job than some of the others. Fred Thompson was a bit clunky as President Grant.

5/8
"Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" (the book) was required reading in one of my English classes in high school. A very tragic American story. It's amazing that twenty soldiers were awarded the Medal of Honor for their part in what is now called a massacre.

Harpoon (Canada-2019)

Horror/Suspense: A couple and their friend take the boat out for a day trip but things get complicated when some dark secrets become unearthed... I did not like it at first but it grew on me as it went on.... decent, ... 5.0/8

Lifechanger (Canada-2018)

Horror: A shapeshifter who stays alive by killing people while taking their identity falls for a girl.... the problem is it looks like someone else every time they meet. Interesting but wasn't really that good.... 3.5/8

Night of the Wild (2015)

Horror: A meteor shower causes canines to go crazy and attack humans.... this one gets started right away with the carnage but what started out as pretty good turned into a mess. Where to start... get ready for the spoilers as I need to rant.... First off, there wasn't really any story here. No character development and went right to the attacks. The whole movie was pretty much dog attack after dog attack, after awhile it just got numb. The green meteor slime causing the attacks was everywhere yet none investigates the stuff. Men with guns are getting killed by dogs, 2 men,,,, one with a knife get killed by 3 dogs yet a girl in the woods with knife fights off a pack of dogs with just a few scrapes. A woman gets attacked by 4, 2 of them Pits and have her on her back and yet she fights them off with just scratches... she gets attacked again by 3 more and once again this super woman fights them off but then decides to jump out a two story building for no reason..... her little daughter was so annoying and she had no problem with her leaving the car to help her dad who was crushed in between two cars with dogs attacking people everywhere...... The next scene the dad with the "crushed legs" is driving the truck and later runs to a plane..... lol, the pro's was not much CGI other than blood spatter and a couple of CGI mutts that were not needed in the last two scenes.... most of the dog attacks were real dogs and yes at times you can see the bulging clothing where the dogs are biting but hey... they had a crap load of dogs in this one..... so overall, a 5 for the first 30 minutes or so but a 1 for the rest.... averages to a ....... 3.0/8

Gamera daikaijû kuchu kessen (Japan-1995)

Kaiju Horror: This was a reboot of the Gamera series. Gamera: Guardian of the Universe in the 9th installment of the series and takes a more serious stance. Japan is under attack from Gyaos when they discovered something very large coming out of the ocean.... that is right, it is Gamera.... Not knowing the nature of Gamera Japan is on the attack but Gamera can careless as he destroys everything in his way to get to Gyaos and let the battle begin. I'm a huge fan of Gamera but not the movies but hope awaits as the reboot started out pretty good..... 4.5/8

Cut Throat City (2020) 4.5/8 First time back in the theater. Good to see a movie that it was meant to be. Weird being in a sold out show with only 8 other people lol. A group of young men living in post-Katrina New Orleans turn to crime in an attempt to make ends meet. As it usually goes, things take an ugly turn and they are left fighting for their lives. Directed by The RZA from Wu Tang Clan. Definitely entertaining, though a little far-fetched but I think that might have been intentional based on then ending.

War for the Planet of the Apes (2017) 6/8 The final part of the trilogy. The Simean flu has mutated and those infected seem to be losing the ability to be human, becoming the primates. Woody Harrelson plays a rogue commander set out to eliminate the apes and the flu. A lot of battle scenes, good story line and Harrelson and The Bad Ape were good additions to the story.

Breaker Morant 6/8 pretty much followed the formula but Australians do war movies good and I like courtroom movies so win-win for me. Has a famous quote I'd not known where it came from so that was a treat.

W. 7/8 Given Stone's politics, I really expected a thorough hachet job. I thought it was a good portrait, the pressures of a son and a president. After watching i read some reviews. Seems it mostly got panned by people wanting it to be a hacket job.

Can you believe Scarlett Johansson's performance? I could not have been more impressed.
I thought the entire cast was pretty great. The trailer makes it look like a goofy comedy, and certainly has a Wes Anderson vibe in its comedic elements. However, it’s also very poignant and emotional in its story telling.

Weekend at Bernie's (1989) 3/8 Always liked this movie when I was younger, but after watching it last night I wasn't that impressed. Not nearly as funny as a I remember and the best acting probably comes from the actor playing a dead guy.