What Movies Did You Watch in August 2020?

Shoulder Arms (!918) (Silent) - Hilarious WWI movie which has Charlie Chaplin's character as a misfit recruit dreaming about single handily winning the war. Him marching and doing drill with his big clown size feet is funny all by itself. Uniforms, weapons and trench life is all pretty well done, although the "Boche" looked pretty hokey.

6/8

Master and Commander 6/8 Pretty much all the standard plot points. Hopeless situation. Buddies. Cute kids acting way over their ages (but pulling it off well). I enjoy the characters and the actors very much so I watch every few years. I enjoy the tactics and that they use the jargon without explaining every bit but enough that you can enjoy the movie if you know nothing nautical. Would like to see another movie.

Betrayed (1954) - Clark Gable and Lana Turner, WWII spy/Resistance film. I liked Gable and Turner, but, unfortunately they were over shadowed by an over acting Victor Mature. There are some good twists though.

5/8

Soldier in the Rain (1963) - A quirky comedy matching two unlikely buddies leading to an even more unlikely romance. Steve McQueen in a very unusual role for him as a simple minded E-5 SGT who looks up to the mature and sophisticated E-8 MSG, career soldier played very well by Jackie Gleason. The younger soldier is just marking time in the service and is constantly coming up with get rich quick plans for when he leaves the service, which is in a very short time. The older soldier had a rough childhood, served in the Army in WWII and the army is his home and only family. The contrast between the two men is well and artfully illustrated when they are walking through their base and the "Retreat" bugle call is heard and the younger soldier, along with other younger soldiers scurry away, saying "come on Slaughter, its almost retreat" and the older soldier says that he will meet him in a minute, comes to attention and salutes as the bugler plays "To the Colors" as the flag is lowered.

The unlikely romance occurs when the younger soldier fixes the older one, who is over forty, with a high school senior (the delectable Tuesday Weld) in an effort to entice his friend to join him in leaving the army.

A good film that I had never heard of before. Apparently it was ignored to some extent since it was released while the US was morning the murder of JFK.

6/8

Soldier in the Rain (1963) - A quirky comedy matching two unlikely buddies leading to an even more unlikely romance. Steve McQueen in a very unusual role for him as a simple minded E-5 SGT who looks up to the mature and sophisticated E-8 MSG, career soldier played very well by Jackie Gleason. The younger soldier is just marking time in the service and is constantly coming up with get rich quick plans for when he leaves the service, which is in a very short time. The older soldier had a rough childhood, served in the Army in WWII and the army is his home and only family. The contrast between the two men is well and artfully illustrated when they are walking through their base and the "Retreat" bugle call is heard and the younger soldier, along with other younger soldiers scurry away, saying "come on Slaughter, its almost retreat" and the older soldier says that he will meet him in a minute, comes to attention and salutes as the bugler plays "To the Colors" as the flag is lowered.

The unlikely romance occurs when the younger soldier fixes the older one, who is over forty, with a high school senior (the delectable Tuesday Weld) in an effort to entice his friend to join him in leaving the army.

A good film that I had never heard of before. Apparently it was ignored to some extent since it was released while the US was morning the murder of JFK.

6/8
New to me, too. I'll keep an eye out. Danke.

Some Like It Hot (1959) - The original "Bosom Buddies" (1980-1982) and well before Tootsie (1984) and Mrs. Doubtfire (1993). The team of Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon and Marilyn Monroe have chemistry and their interactions are hilarious.

7/8

The Martian (2015) - When astronauts blast off from the planet Mars, they leave behind Mark Watney (Matt Damon), presumed dead after a fierce storm. With only a meager amount of supplies, the stranded visitor must utilize his wits and spirit to find a way to survive on the hostile planet. Meanwhile, back on Earth, members of NASA and a team of international scientists work tirelessly to bring him home, while his crew mates hatch their own plan for a daring rescue mission. Google

Good beginning and ending with great scenery and a cool spaceship in between. Seen on FX. 6.5/8.0

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014) 5/8 The apes, living in the redwood forest, encounter humans for the first time in several years after the semian flu knocks out most of the population. From there, after deception from both the humans and the apes war breaks out between the two factions. Pretty good, second part of the trilogy, good lead in to the final movie.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014) 5/8 The apes, living in the redwood forest, encounter humans for the first time in several years after the semian flu knocks out most of the population. From there, after deception from both the humans and the apes war breaks out between the two factions. Pretty good, second part of the trilogy, good lead in to the final movie.
I think this is the last movie that I saw at a movie theater. 5/8 seems about right. I remember getting bored at the ending fight scene...it seems like fight scenes always go on way too long in movies and get boring.

Inglourious Basterds (2009) was on TV last night. 8/8 Another Quentin Tarantino gem. One of my favorite movies with some really tense scenes and a great villain, SS officer Hans Landa. Not a perfect film, but close.

Last edited:
1939 Battle of Westeplatte (Netflix): The true story of the beginning of WWII. 1st September 1939 will forever be remembered for the epic Battle of Westerplatte that announced the beginning of the Second World War in Europe. Over one week, fewer than 200 Polish soldiers fought against heavy German bombardment. In the fight against the forces of tyranny they came to symbolize the power of resistance. ( - 1939 Battle of Westerplatte)

Mi-hwak-in-dong-yeong-sang (South Korea-2012)

Horror: "Don't Click" ... A woman gets an illegal online cursed video and those she sends it to mysteriously die after watching it. Sound familiar, well.... sort of and this one is pretty good too .... 5.0/8

Kidan: Piece of Darkness (Japan-2016)

Horror: Anthology of 10 short films..... average J-Horror.... 4.0/8

Sukima Onna (Japan-2014)

Horror: "Spirit Behind the Door" ... Sukima Onna is a spirit that dwells in the crevices waiting for victims to pull in. A woman discovers something is not right when checking on her sister and gets the sense that something is watching her from the cracks.... J-Horror is probably my favorite of Asian Horror and this one is pretty darn good.... 5.0/8

6/8
Tuesday Weld, hmm, hmm delicious. Do you know she got her start, along with Warren Beatty, in the TV sitcom, "The Many Lives of Dobie Gillis"?

1939 Battle of Westeplatte (Netflix): The true story of the beginning of WWII. 1st September 1939 will forever be remembered for the epic Battle of Westerplatte that announced the beginning of the Second World War in Europe. Over one week, fewer than 200 Polish soldiers fought against heavy German bombardment. In the fight against the forces of tyranny they came to symbolize the power of resistance. ( - 1939 Battle of Westerplatte)

How was this?

Project Power (2020) 3/8 Netflix original starring Jamie Foxx, who plays an ex-Army Ranger that the government did testing on that lead to him passing super powers on to his daughter. His daughter is kidnapped and used to harvest power to create a drug that can give people superpowers for 5 minutes at a time. Foxx begins tracking his daughter through the street level drug dealers while chaos is going on around him. Started out promising, but got really slow and boring on the back end.

Tuesday Weld, hmm, hmm delicious. Do you know she got her start, along with Warren Beatty, in the TV sitcom, "The Many Lives of Dobie Gillis"?
I had forgotten that.

Can we like add Bob Denver dadio/man? Work? Work!!!

Now, I feel old. :p

Last edited:
Godzilla 29: Shin Gojira (Japan-2016)

Kaiju: Well, this ends my Asian Horrorthon with some Horror Kaiju, unfortunately this was an horrific attempt and a major disappointment from Japan who wanted to make a realistic Godzilla movie. Why? Anyhow, so after about 40 minutes of nothing but conversation about how inept the Japanese government has become with everything needing a meeting we start to get a transition of a Turkey like ridiculous creature that mutates into Godzilla. Send in the military as the giant lizard has no other monsters to fight and we descend into stupidity unlike that of the costume Godzilla erra. Minus one two minute scene there was nothing I liked about this one and it goes down as the worse Godzilla movie I have seen.... and I've seen over 30...... 1.5/8

Santo en la venganza de la momia (Mexico-1971)

Lucho Libra Horror: Santo the masked wrestler takes a team deep into the jungle to uncover a sacred tomb that unleashes a pissed off mummy. This was my first attempt watching this type of movie which I believe there is over 50 of them but I am only concentrating on the horror themed ones..... and actually it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. The opening 20 minute narrated wrestling scene was a bit too much..... also the cheese was way out there but it did not bug me that this tomb which no one knows about had electricity and lights, lol.... anyhow I did enjoy this film but it only gets a 3.0/8 .........

The Final Girls (2015)

Horror: Friends watching a horror flick finds themselves actually in the Camp Bloodbath movie as they try and survive the slasher in the woods. This one was pretty neat.... 5.0/8

Truth or Dare (2018) 4.5/8 I saw this had really bad reviews, but I thought it was ok. A group of college kids are lured into a game of truth or dare by a stranger. Once they're in they can't get out and the game just keeps getting crazier. Not the best horror movie I've every seen, but it was definitely entertaining.

Rufus Jones For President (1933) (short feature) - Featuring a 7 year old Sammy Davis, Jr. The film has young Rufus being elected president. Cute as can be and man, that kid could dance. It does bring up the issue of what is "racist" and what standards should be applied (contemporary to the art or current standards). The film included racial stereotypes which were common in entertainment at the time and I am sure were present in the jokes told by both Blacks and Whites in that era. The film was by Blacks, to a great extent, and made for a predominately Black audience. Great fun.

6/8

Rufus Jones For President (1933) (short feature) - Featuring a 7 year old Sammy Davis, Jr. The film has young Rufus being elected president. Cute as can be and man, that kid could dance. It does bring up the issue of what is "racist" and what standards should be applied (contemporary to the art or current standards). The film included racial stereotypes which were common in entertainment at the time and I am sure were present in the jokes told by both Blacks and Whites in that era. The film was by Blacks, to a great extent, and made for a predominately Black audience. Great fun.

6/8

Same head, smaller body.