What Movies Did You Watch in August 2020?

vamp2syd

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

#4184 Ambition (US-2019) ... 5.0/8

#4185 Lily C.A.T. (Japan-1987) ... 5.0/8

#4186 Hitokowa 3: Honto ni kowainowa ningen (Japan-2013) ... aka "The Killing Hour" ... 4.0/8

#4187 Wong Jorn Pid (Thailand-2012) ... aka "Heaven and Hell" ... 4.0/8

#4188 Nokeu (South Korea-2012) ... aka "Knock" ... 3.0/8

#4189 Pyega (South Korea-2010) ... aka "The Haunted House Project" ... 2.5/8

#4190 Mi-hwak-in-dong-yeong-sang (South Korea-2012) ... aka "Don't Click" ... 5.0/8

#4191 Kidan: Piece of Darkness (Japan-2016) ... 4.0/8

#4192 Sukima Onna (Japan-2014) ... aka "Spirit Behind the Door" ... 5.0/8

#4193 Godzilla 29: Shin Gojira (Japan-2016) ... 1.5/8

#4194 Santo en la venganza de la momia (Mexico-1971) ... aka "Santo in the Vengeance of the Mummy" ... 2.5/8

#4195 The Final Girls (US-2015) ... 5.0/8

#4196 Harpoon (Canada-2019) ... 5.0/8

#4197 Lifechanger (Canada-2018) ... 3.5/8

#4198 Night of the Wild (US-2015) ... 3.0/8

#4199 Gamera daikaijû kuchu kessen (Japan-1995) ... aka "Gamera 9: Guardian of the Universe" ... 4.5/8

Last edited:

Motherless Brooklyn- 5.25. Very predictable plot, not bad by any means. Only standout was Norton’s performance.

A Bridge Too Far: 5/8 Mostly personality driven. Story is ok. Always pizzes me off, not sure why I rewatch it.

A good pair of movies watched on landing day.

October Sky: 6/8 I hadn't watched this before. Hits all the feel good and drama plot points. I'm not sure which are real and which were created.

Hidden Figures: 7/8 I would have liked more background on the characters, kind of like October Sky and how they got to NASA but that I was able to find in the wikis. They were already juggling quite a few stories, I thought they did it very well. Again, not sure what was real and what was made-up for the movie.

Secondhand Lions
Robert Duvall and Michael Caine.
A delightful movie that we watch every chance we get.

I watched Hamilton.
I'm not much of a musical kinda guy, but I enjoyed it. Didn't think it was as groundbreaking as it was t'ed up to be.
5/8
tumblr_o108owARTP1r83d7lo1_540.gif

Like A Boss (2020) 5/8 Chick flick my wife picked out. Selma Hayek plays a wealthy cosmetic company owner who tries to buy up Tiffany Haddish and Rose Byrne's smaller company. Not bad at all for a chick flick, definitely some laughs and a pretty good story.

Like A Boss (2020) 5/8 Chick flick my wife picked out. Selma Hayek plays a wealthy cosmetic company owner who tries to buy up Tiffany Haddish and Rose Byrne's smaller company. Not bad at all for a chick flick, definitely some laughs and a pretty good story.
"Laughs and a pretty good story"? It had Selmalita in it, didn't it? Who needs a story. One of my all time biggest crushes.

Elmer Gantry (1960) - Burt Lancaster, Jean Simmons, Arthur Kennedy, Shirley Jones and Patti Page. There are true believers and there are charlatans. And, those in between. Maybe. 7.25/8.00

Wikipedia:

Why was Elmer Gantry banned?

On publication in 1927, Elmer Gantry created a public furor. The book was banned in Boston and other cities and denounced from pulpits across the United States. One cleric suggested that Lewis should be imprisoned for five years, and there were also threats of physical violence against the author.

Hitokowa 3: Honto ni kowainowa ningen (Japan-2013)

Horror: Hitokowa 3: The Killing Hour ... Anthology of 4 stories: A girl finds a lost walnut with pictures of murdered victims. An old woman follows and stares at a freaked out girl. Woman throws guy out who does not want to leave. Woman finds a mysterious little girl in red. This installment was not as good as the other two but still satisfying.... 4.0/8

Lily C.A.T. (Japan-1987)

Horror Animation: A space vessel occupants have a problem when an alien organism comes aboard and what is going on with the ships cat??? ... This one had its moments.... 5.0/8

Ambition (2019)

Horror: Whoa.... Its been awhile since I've heard a movie in English..... A gifted girl learns that she is replacing a student that had committed suicide. Was it the pressure or did something sinister happen. Things heat up when a new roommate shows up! ... This one was actually pretty good.... 5.0/8

Papillon 5/8 the old one with McQueen and Hoffman. stupid nuns. Got panned when it came out. But has become much better liked. It did have some editing jumps but I pan the reviews. Good year for movies too, I may watch a few more.

Wong Jorn Pid (Thailand-2012)

Horror: "Heaven & Hell" ... Anthology but not really. The first story was just annoying about how they presented it and that was silent movie style..... found it to be a huge distraction.... now the 2nd story called "Heaven11" is most of the movie.... a counter girl at a convenience store learns that the previous workers had all died in strange ways and now she is starting to see strange things. The security camera's pick up figures that are not really there.... this one goes on and on but in the end it wraps itself up nicely. The 3rd story is just a continuation of the 2nd following a couple of guys who had a run in with a ghost in the first, now they are working on the camera in an elevator where it is learned that a man killing ghost lurks on floor 8. Of course the elevator keeps going to that floor! This one has some comedy relief and was pretty enjoyable .... overall, just an average flick.... 4.0/8

Nokeu (South Korea-2012)

Horror: "Knock" ... This one was confusing.... had to do with a cursed mask and a girl who gets mixed up with it as well as other stuff. Not much to say here ... 3.0/8

Pyega (South Korea-2010)

Horror: "The Haunted House Project" ... Found footage/documentary style.... A group of ghost hunters investigate a deserted house that is rumored to have a ghost that lives in a puddle that is responsible for many murders and missing people. It is said that those who enter do not leave..... this is what was found on the video tapes. The atmosphere of shambled building built up the suspense but they just could not do anything with it. The potential dropped dead and this one became a failure..... 2.5/8

Found footage style films and subtitles are not a great mix.......

Dead End (1937) - Great gangster film with Spencer Tracy turning in a good performance, First film appearance of the "Dead End Kids" soon to be dubbed the "Bowery Boys". The "Boys" turn in great dramatic performances. It amazes me that they did not continue in drama rather than the very successful career in comedy that they enjoyed.

7/8

The Karate Kid (1984) 8/8 One of my all time favorites. Always thought Pat Morita was perfect for the role of Mr. Miyagi and not to mention the huge crush I had on Elizabeth Shue as a kid.

The Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011) 6.5/8 Big fan of this trilogy that I've always thought was underrated. Great special effects, you can hardly tell that the apes aren't real and a good story line.

Elmer Gantry (1960) - Burt Lancaster, Jean Simmons, Arthur Kennedy, Shirley Jones and Patti Page. There are true believers and there are charlatans. And, those in between. Maybe. 7.25/8.00

Wikipedia:

Why was Elmer Gantry banned?

On publication in 1927, Elmer Gantry created a public furor. The book was banned in Boston and other cities and denounced from pulpits across the United States. One cleric suggested that Lewis should be imprisoned for five years, and there were also threats of physical violence against the author.

I was channel flipping a couple nights ago and stumbled on this movie on TCM, too. Burt Lancaster won the Best Actor Oscar for his performance as Elmer Gantry...a bit over-the-top performance for me, but what do I know? An interesting movie that drew me in and tackled some controversial topics for 1960. 7/8

"Banned in Boston!"

"10 x 10" - man stalks woman, kidnaps her, and then throws her in a secret padded room. OK, you've all seen scores of these, yada, yada, yada. BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE. Turns out to be a pretty good movie, easily 6/8.

Cold Pursuit - Liam Neeson plays the father, who gets revenge on a drug cartel for the death of his son. A fun dark humor movie. Giving it a 6.5.

I was channel flipping a couple nights ago and stumbled on this movie on TCM, too. Burt Lancaster won the Best Actor Oscar for his performance as Elmer Gantry...a bit over-the-top performance for me, but what do I know? An interesting movie that drew me in and tackled some controversial topics for 1960. 7/8

"Banned in Boston!"
Agree. If I had seen that boisterous laugh one more time I think my head would have popped off. ? Well, not really, but it was over the top as you said.

After watching, I couldn't help but think of Jim Bakker and his ilk. Maybe, it is possible to be a believer and a promoter at the same time - something I had not considered before. Or, maybe not. :)

For the guys who watched Elmer Gantry, I didn't by the way, but was Shirley Jones hot or what? I have had a thing for her since I first saw her in Oklahoma (1955). While I haven't seen the film yet, I have seen clips of Shirley Jones' Oscar winning performance. Pretty risque for the future Mrs. Partridge.

The Outsider (1961) - Good movie, not great. Tony Curtis gave an Oscar worthy performance as Ira Hayes, the Pima Indian who was one of the marines who raised the flag at Iwo Jima. Curtis was able to convey all of the discomfort, anxiety, and depression suffered by Hayes as he left the reservation, experienced PTSD and survivor's guilt from combat and ultimately descended into a deep hole of alcoholism which ended his tragic life. Despite Curtis' outstanding performance, one cannot forget that he is a white man in red face, as are all of the other actors in major roles and that there must have been Native American actors who could have given an authentic performance.

The film also suffered from the inclusion of fictional characters and some misguided creative license which was both unnecessary and a distraction.

For anyone who doesn't know Hayes' story Johnny Cash's song gives a good summary in a three minute song:

6/8

Last edited:
For the guys who watched Elmer Gantry, I didn't by the way, but was Shirley Jones hot or what? I have had a thing for her since I first saw her in Oklahoma (1955). While I haven't seen the film yet, I have seen clips of Shirley Jones' Oscar winning performance. Pretty risque for the future Mrs. Partridge.

I was pleasantly surprised. :) Didn't realize she was in Oklahoma. Here's your girl...

A Dog's Life (1918) (silent) - Great Charlie Chaplin film. The dog was great too. Almost no title cards for dialog. Chaplin communicated quite well without it by means of pantomime and his incredibly expressive face. Funny and sweet, just a great film.

7/8

Last edited: