What Movies Did You Watch In August 2019?

2001: A Space Odyssey - 8/8 - I watched this years ago when I was a kid. Thought provoking. The idea of AI in 1969 and the idea of trusting it and what the world would be like in 2001 is interesting. "My God, it's full of stars" is something that always stuck with me.

2010: The Year We Make Contact - 5.5/8 - Follow up of Kubrick's initial movie but not quite the same. Still interesting to see what people in the mid 80's thought the world would look like in 2010.

Mindhunter: Season 2. 5.5/8 Atlanta Children murders. Set a bit before I lived there. Always a bit creepy riding around those streets. I don't think anyone believes this story is told.

-1 for not once naming a Peachtree St/Ave/Rd/blvd/circle..... -1 for a completely marginalized main character whose only purpose was Netflix' obligatory gay sex scene. -1, pretty standard detective fair without the same intensity throughout as Season 1, though the 15 seconds with Manson was worthwhile. +.5 for the cordless Makita drill which had me double checking if they were even available in late 70s.

Last edited:
Long Shot: 5.5/8

It’s a bit hard to believe Charlize Theron and Seth Rogen as a couple but ultimately it works. Good laughs too and a side of Theron you don’t normally see.

Detective Pikachu: 4/8

Passable but there’s not much there unless you’re a Pokémon fan. Some decent jokes.

Last edited:
Parasite: 8/8

This could be the first Korean film to get major Oscar love. Tons of hype and glowing reviews. The acting is superb, the writing is excellent, the cinematography is gorgeous, etc. A masterclass in filmmaking

Last edited:
So, someone asked about pre WWII American films addressing what was going on in the world. I happened upon The Mortal Storm (1940) a drama revolving around the affect the growth of Nazism had on a small rural German town and one family in particular. It showed the progress of the Nazi mindset from suspicion of others who were previously good friends or even family, to social bullying to ultimately violent suppression. The outsiders were implied to be Jewish, but the word is never mentioned. James Stewart's character is also a borderline "outsider" as it is apparent that he, like his goat, is "half gypsy". There are a lot of familiar faces like the professor being played by the man who played the Wizard in The Wizard of Oz (1939).

Very good pre-Pearl Harbor American film about WWII.

6/8

The Adventures of Huck Finn (1939) - I know the critics were rather hard on this film but, I guess I am so fond of the story that I still like this cuisinart version where the story is a bit diced up and then reassembled. I do like Mickey Rooney's performance.

5/8

H. M. Pulham, Esq. (1941) - Interesting film about a middle-aged man looking back on his life and in particular the woman he let get away. The acting is solid and the ending is very satisfying. The story would most likely end up differently if the film was made today. It answers the question of what is true love in a mature relationship.

5/8

Angel Has Fallen: 5.5/8

Another worthy entry into the “Fallen” franchise.

Only real drawback was that I could tell who the villain was as soon as I looked at the cast list before the movie.

Good Boys: 5.25/8

Good but a bit underwhelming given the hype. Jacob Trumlay is a great young actor, but you could tell he wasn’t comfortable filming this movie. Every time he cursed or said something obscene, it felt like he was literally reading the words off the script.

Niagara (1953) - The rare noir film made in highly saturated technicolor. It starred Marilyn Monroe whose many talents were put to good use, specifically, with the longest walk recorded in cinematic history:
Well acted and suspenseful it is well worth watching.

5/8

Extract: 4.25/8

Picked this up on Vudu while they were doing a 3 movies for $5 deal. Has a great cast in Jason Bateman, Mila Kunis, Kristen Wiig, Ben Affleck, JK Simmons, David Koechner, TJ Miller and Clifton Collins Jr. Plus a Gene Simmons cameo.

While it was decent and I got my money's worth, I expected a little better from a cast this talented. The plot was good, but it wasn't nearly as funny as it could have been with this cast.

Last edited:
Angel Has Fallen (2019) 4.5/8 Third in the "Has Fallen" series. A little different premise as Mike Banning is framed as the bad guy and must go into bad secret service mode to prove his innocence. Better than London Has Fallen, but not as good as the original.

Lean on Me: 7/8

Always a classic

Tango & Cash: 6/8

Wish I had watched this earlier in life. Great buddy cop film.

Secret Life of Pets 2: 4/8

Didn’t have the charm of the first. Barely held my kids’ interest now that they are older. Probably best for 8 and under. Not great when the mid credits is the best part of the movie.

Paul: 5/8

Great cast, solid movie even if pretty formulaic.

And another shout out to Pmojo for tracking down The Mortal Storm. 6/8

Took me while to find one that wasn't printed in reverse or some Spanish movie. A cast that went on to great things. MGM showed some bones putting out an anti-"German" pre-war movie though they did hedge their bets. They never dropped the word "Jewish." Like previous pre-war movies I've reviewed, it's all about reading the subtlety. One line, pointing out the real fear early 1930s Germans were feeling. Reds.