What Movies Did You Watch in April 2020?

Go Johnny Go! (1959) - The last of the three Rock n Roll movies I recorded. Same lame story between several good acts. Chuck Berry performs and there is a rocking performance by Eddie Cochran. A haunting appearance by Richie Valens is included in the film. Haunting because the film was released four months after Richie died with Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper. What a loss at only 17 years of age.

5/8

Lady in a Cage (1964)

Horror: 1960's in a city in the states a woman has broken her hip and relies on an indoor elevator. One day when her son is away for an extended weekend she is alone when power goes out in the house and guess what.... she is stuck between floors in the elevator. Well, it get worse for her as it seems her neighborhood is not the greatest as she is visited by many who want to steal or do her harm...... 4.0/8

Culture Shock (2019)

Horror: A pregnant Mexican woman wants to enter the US illegally but runs into trouble. This is your typical Hulu original political anti-Trump BS ...... 1.5/8

Go Johnny Go! (1959) - The last of the three Rock n Roll movies I recorded. Same lame story between several good acts. Chuck Berry performs and there is a rocking performance by Eddie Cochran. A haunting appearance by Richie Valens is included in the film. Haunting because the film was released four months after Richie died with Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper. What a loss at only 17 years of age.

5/8
Listened to the Big Bopper's Chantilly Lace today, a song that has been stuck in my head for weeks now. I so make a valiant effort to sing it. :)

What's Up Doc? (1972) Barbra Streisand, Ryan O'Neal, and Madeline Kahn. First time we saw this cute slapstick romcom. Streisand was like butta. 6/8

Paper Moon (1973)
Ryan O'Neal, Tatum O'Neal and Madeline Kahn. Nine year old Tatum - who had never acted before - deservedly received a best supporting actress award for her effort. "I want my two hundred dollars!" 7/8

Monster House (2006)

Family Horror: Normally I would not watch this type of movie but it was requested so I gave it a hoot. So lets see.... we have some kid who gets a nasty babysitter but he has more issues as he believes the house across the street wants to eat him. It wasn't really that bad ..... 4.0/8

A Night to Remember (1958) - This is the good Titanic film, much better than the 1997 film, Titanic. There is a lot of "stiff upper lip" for which the Brits are known. Great movie all around.

7/8

The Fate of the Furious (2017) 5.5/8 The 8th installment in the F and F franchise. In this one, Dom goes rogue and the rest of the team tries to figure out why and stop him. Charlize Theron makes a good addition to the star-studded cast. I like this franchise and look forward to the newest addition.

How It Ends (2018) 2/8 Netflix original about an apocalyptic event starring Forest Whitaker and the guy that plays Four from Divergent. For the type of movie it was suppose to be, it seemed pretty low budget. Most of it was shot in a Cadillac. The ending was really bad too, it kind of just left you hanging. Pretty much a waste of two hours.

Richard Jewell- 5.75/8. Solid all around, just felt like the ending was somewhat abrupt.

The School (Australia-2018)

Horror: A woman must come to grips that her young son is not coming out of a coma. This one gets supernatural on us as she goes off in a dream like where she awakes to look for her son in an abandoned school run by some twisted kids. Not that great, should of been better.... 3.0/8

The Monster (Canada-2016)

Horror: A bad mom drives her daughter cross country to go stay with her father but they don't quite make it as they hit something on a dark off beat road. While this one had its "unbelievable" moments it still had enough to be good.... the creature in this film looked great! ... 5.0/8

Gisaengchung (2019) ... AKA "Parasite" ... 5.0/8

This is not a horror movie and if I knew that ahead of time I probably would not have watched it.... so why the misleading?

The Cabin in the Woods (2011) 4/8 A group of college kids head to a cabin for a weekend of fun, only to be drawn into a twisted sacrificial ritual organized by a groups of scientist. Thought it was good until the ending, liked the twist in the middle.

Money Pit (1986) 3/8 One of Tom Hanks early movies with Shelly Long. The couple buy a house at a price that is too good to be true. Turns out they were right as it begins to fall apart as soon as they move in. A couple of laughs, but mostly just silly. Not one of Hanks' better movies.

Police Academy (1984) 5/8 The police remove most of the physical restrictions and requirements for academy enrollees and a motley crew of recruits sign up. Steve Guttenberg plays the main character. I hadn't seen this in years, but thought it was still pretty good. Had some laughs and a touch of the 80's raunchy type comedy.

Honey Boy (2019)- movie about Shia LaBeouf growing up in the entertainment business with his addict abusive father. LaBeouf plays his father in the movie. A little painful to watch but very well done. It couldn't have been easy for LeBeouf to play his father. The kid who played him as a 12 year old was outstanding. 6/8.

Good Boys - Funny movie with really likable kids. How can kids be so naive and so foul mouthed at the same time? The friendship dynamic reminded me of Breaking Away (1979), Stand by Me (1986) and American Graffiti (1973), all great coming of age movies. "Everyone knows you make your best friends in kindergarten" great line. How do early childhood friends survive puberty? I am fortunate to still have friends from early elementary school that I see on a regular basis. What a blessing!

6/8

I was actually hoping that the last kid trying to cross the highway would of gotten hit.... that would of been a hoot. I had mix feeling about that movie but it definitely had its moments. The one kid that everyone thought was the coolest just cracked me up..... he would of gotten so picked on back in my day....

Never seen Breaking Away but Stand by Me and American Graffiti are just great films and ones that I watch when I come across them while channel surfing....

School Spirit (2019)

Horror: This was kind of like the Breakfast Club but with a slasher.... It is what it is I just didn't buy the who and why of the killings.... 3.5/8

Body at Brighton Rock (2019)

Drama Horror: An inexperienced park ranger who gets lost discovers a body and must stay put over night until a coroner shows up.... well, the over and over of stupid decisions was just too mind boggling. The only good thing was they actually used a real bear in this one though it was only for a few seconds. Not much of a climax at all ... 2.5/8

Silent Tongue (France-1993)

Drama Horror: English speaking film set in the old west days in the states..... An Indian girl dies during childbirth after being sold for marriage spawns a curse on those responsible. Sounds good but the script ruins any decency of this flick.... 3.0/8

Big Bad Wolf (2013)

Horror: This one is more commonly known under the title of "Huff" but I saw it under the other title..... Another bad movie which makes 4 in a row.... 3 daughters fear for there lives as their step father loses it when his drug money goes missing. We have a 3 little pigs theme going on here but nothing to see.... 2.5/8

I was actually hoping that the last kid trying to cross the highway would of gotten hit.... that would of been a hoot. I had mix feeling about that movie but it definitely had its moments. The one kid that everyone thought was the coolest just cracked me up..... he would of gotten so picked on back in my day....

Never seen Breaking Away but Stand by Me and American Graffiti are just great films and ones that I watch when I come across them while channel surfing....
I too would have dropped that kid as a friend and not before making huge fun of him. The kids who think they are "ladies' men" at that age are so obnoxious. Do watch Breaking Away. You will love it. Great cast, great story and filmed just down the road at IU in Bloomington. I would have been considered a "cutter" (blue collar commuter kid who just wants to better himself) at my college too.

That came out while I was in college in Indiana. Even the Purdue types liked it, though they prefer their Little 500.

Earle Haley is not the one I would have picked to go on to the career he had.

Deliverance (1972) - Jon Voight, Burt Reynolds, Ned Beatty, Ronny Cox Second viewing so I knew what to expect. It was so easy to root for the bow and arrow. Don't believe I saw the beginning the first time around. Adds a bit of perspective to the movie. 7/8

Casablanca (1942) - Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Paul Henreid, Claude Rains, Ingrid Bergman Don't remember seeing the beginning of this one the first time around either. :unsure: We'll always have Paris. 7/8