What Movies Did You See in January 2014?

Some people might like strange movies just to like them. I liked Animal House as much as I liked Tree of Life. I hated Crash, but loved 40-Year Old Virgin. Again, you like what you like. If people like certain movies just to not seem dumb, they have other issues they need to sort out.

Watched Black Hawk Down last night. Still one of my favorite action military movies. So many recognizable faces, and so many British/ non-American actors.

Toad Road (US-2012)

Toad Road is an urban legend in York Pennsylvania where one goes along a path in a wooded area crossing through 7 gates that lead to hell. No one has made it pass 5.

Ok, now the movie Toad Road is about a circle of friends in their late teens early twenties who experiment with strong drug use and party a lot. They are outcasts a new comer Sara has joined the group and has taking a liking to James which upsets her girlfriend. Sara becomes obsessed with finding some sort of Utopia through drugs and seeks out Toad Road to find the answers.

This film felt so real. Too real in fact that I had to look it up and sure enough it pretty much was. Basically no script was written and the circle of friends were real (except for James being Sara's boyfriend) as was everything they did for the most part. Sadly it was too real as Sara recently dies in real life from an overdose. This was an amazing Indy Artsploitation film that most would sum up as rubbish..... but not me!!!! 6.5/8

White House Down: 4.5/8

Not as good as Olympus Has Fallen, but a decent enough film on its own merit. Main thing that separates the two is that Olympus is more believable so far as the plot and the action sequences.

It's a hard movie to critique given the subject matter and the way that it's shot. I will say I'm not quite on board with the people who think Michael B. Jordan should've gotten an Oscar nom but the movie coming out a while ago hurt its buzz. It was a good performance, but I'm not sure Oscar-worthy. I thought Joaquin Phoenix's job was much more nuanced and interesting in "Her" and he didn't get a nom either, but again its hard to compare the roles there. Octavia Spencer was excellent

Some people might like strange movies just to like them. I liked Animal House as much as I liked Tree of Life. I hated Crash, but loved 40-Year Old Virgin. Again, you like what you like. If people like certain movies just to not seem dumb, they have other issues they need to sort out.

Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor????

Watched Black Hawk Down last night. Still one of my favorite action military movies. So many recognizable faces, and so many British/ non-American actors.

Awsome movie, no doubt about that.

Did you know that one of the Rangers who was on the ground is now a country singer? His name is Keny Thomas. Dont know any of his work but he has done the Anthem at a WS game I believe, and he also goes around the country on speaking engagements. He came to our school a few years ago and intertwines his experience in The Mog and that mission with songs.
Was quite entertaining.

ALso one of the guys in BHD was the the XO in Lone Survivor (Kristensen)

Rude Awakening (UK-1980)

A man does not know what is real and what is a nightmare after he visits an old house that is put up for sale.... 5.0/8

Ghosts of Georgia (US-2013)

This is The Haunting in Connecticut 2 which has nothing to do with the first. A little girl starts to see ghosts when her family moves into an isolated farm that was once used to hide slaves. 4.0/8

Les cauchemars naissent la nuit (Liechtenstein-1970)

Oh no. it's a Jesse Franco (RIP) film which means it won't be very good but there will be lots of naked woman roaming around. A woman keeps having a nightmare in which she murders a man, barely watchable even for my standards even with all the nudity.... 1.5/8

Körkarlen (Sweden-1921)

Silent film and very well liked. The Phantom Carriage tells a tale about a man who is looking for his wife who had left him. He is mean spirited and does wrong to others. When he is murdered he learns his fate as he shall be the next driver of the Phantom Carriage.... I'm not a huge fan of silents but gave this one a chance because of it's high rating. Though I loved some such as Nosferatu this one could not hold my attention ... 2.5/8

Oblivion 5/8 - The first 15-20 minutes were pretty formulaic. The story is mostly predictable, but it's entertaining enough.

Pacific Rim 5.5/8 - About what you'd expect from a giant mech vs giant alien/monster movie: impressive visuals and sound, great action scenes, cheesy dialogue, and just enough story for the action to make sense.

Watched Lone Survivor tonight. Easily one of the best Ive seen. 7.5/8 if not an 8/8

I admit, I saw it for the 4th time yesterday. (1 time online, 3 in the theatres). Was a spur of the moment thing as they were open during the day for MLK day and I went by and said the hec with it.

Doesnt get old and may see it again before it leaves theatres. Never seen a movie more than once in the theatres before. Def a 8 of 8 for this hokey scoring system.

Recently watched the most recent Pearl Harbor again.

Didnt watch it much for the first part, but mostly for the ending and the Dolittle raid. On Veterans Day weekend this year we saw the B-25's on display at the Urbana Airfield and watched them take off, and land, after doing a flyover at WPAFB for the last official reunion of the Raiders as only a few remain. For some reason that upped my liking of this movie, especially the ending wtih seeing those style planes in person.

Hangover 3. 1 out of 8. Terrible movie. First two were good..this was trash.

My list of movies I want to see:

American Hustle
Nebraska
The Wolf of Wall Street
Her
12 Years a Slave
Inside Llewyn Davis
Catching Fire
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
The Way Way Back

Anything I should add?

I recently watched Upstream Color and Melancholia. If you're up for something a little more abstract than normal, give them a shot.

American Hustle
Nebraska
The Wolf of Wall Street
Her
12 Years a Slave
Inside Llewyn Davis
Catching Fire
The Way Way Back

Anything I should add?

Add Lone Survivor. Really good. Im also going to see Prisoners.

American Hustle
Nebraska
The Wolf of Wall Street
Her
12 Years a Slave
Inside Llewyn Davis
Catching Fire
The Way Way Back

Anything I should add?

Great list. I did see The Way Way Back today and did not really enjoy it.

3/8 and that was only because Sam Rockwell was hilarious.

I have a had a few extra hours lately and have hit the cinema pretty hard. In the past month, I have seen these movies with their ratings attached to them.

Gravity - 6/8
Lone Survivor - 6.5/8
Rush - 7/8
Escape Plan - 3/8
The Last Stand - 3.5/8
The Butler - 4/8
Captain Phillips - 6/8
American Hustle - 5.5/8

I will watch anything and really don't have a specific taste. I love military movies since my family has a strong background in the armed forces and I do have to say that Lone Survivor is the best military movie I have seen in a long time. I liked Rush the most out of the movies I have seen lately and I was glad to see Tom Hanks kill a role again in Captain Phillips. I somewhat enjoyed American Hustle, but I thought something was missing. Lawrence, Adams, Bale and Cooper were awesome in their roles. I really think that movie had the potential to be so much better because the actors all did a great job. Like I said before, something was missing though.

I really want to see Wolf of Wall Street and Her. Personally, I think Her looks great. What an idea. Also, I will watch anything with Joaquin Phoenix in it.

Drinking Buddies - 5.5/8

Gave it extra .5 for it being mostly improvised. The dialogue is solid, genuine-feeling. The acting is there. The story is just a bit boring.

Someone leaked Tarantino's next film script, The Hateful Eight, so he cancelled it completely. It was another Western. Django was good, but doing two Westerns back-to-back? Eh.

Captain Phillips - 5.5/8

I guess it was about as good as this movie could have been, but still it's not really memorable. Even if it weren't based on a well known true story it would be predictable. Hanks puts in a good performance, which is probably the highlight of it.