What is going on in Barberton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sure why stand to respect your country? Heck my dad and others only fought in the Pacific theater and Europe and many died so these punks could sit on their asses. And some were the same age as these kids. Pitiful!!

As a Veteran I offer this to you. We did not sign up, serve, and some of us die strictly so people could stand. We did the aforementioned things so that people have the CHOICE whether to stand or not..... Once you force people to stand then all we serve for is in vain.

Didn't you also do those things so people had the freedom to voice their opinion? Not standing is a choice. Voicing disagreement with those that refuse to stand is also a choice.

Didn't you also do those things so people had the freedom to voice their opinion? Not standing is a choice. Voicing disagreement with those that refuse to stand is also a choice.

Maybe let them visit some veterans, or I guess that would be unpatriotic for them. Never did I imagine our country raising such an unpatriotic individuals. When it's gone you will regret it. Or when they are asked to defend your freedoms and say they would rather sit it out. God help us...and no my father did it to defend the United States of America not so they could sit in disrespect...

Last edited by a moderator:
Freedom of speech doesn’t mean disrespect the FLAG ! They should be suspended. Only if the Coach. AD. Administration. School Board has any Balls. Those who don’t support the FLAG can leave this country anytime. And Liberal Slayguy, you can go with them. AMAZING !!! And Very SAD. Yeah I’m pissed

Exactly! You don't have to like the choices that people make. But the fact that they have the freedom to make those choices. If you don't want to stand, I don't agree, but it's the freedom to choose.

Freedom of speech doesn’t mean disrespect the FLAG ! They should be suspended. Only if the Coach. AD. Administration. School Board has any Balls. Those who don’t support the FLAG can leave this country anytime. And Liberal Slayguy, you can go with them. AMAZING !!! And Very SAD. Yeah I’m pissed
When you take your oath of enlistment you don't swear to support and defend the flag....you support and defend the constitution.....

The school doesn't have to try to suspend the kids and get into legal jumbo. The coach though, he has the right to burry them on the bench
which is exactly what I'd do with those nimrods.

As a Veteran I offer this to you. We did not sign up, serve, and some of us die strictly so people could stand. We did the aforementioned things so that people have the CHOICE whether to stand or not..... Once you force people to stand then all we serve for is in vain.

I understand your point. What is ironic though, is that the flag represents all those liberties that allows one the freedom to make choices .....by not respecting the flag you are denigrating all the ideals that go into your freedom of choice. We ALL should be standing to respect the flag to acknowledge the freedom it represents, and then if you have a grievance with a specific issue, protest that issue; the flag essentially guarantees your right to protest that issue.

It’s still a Sad message not to stand. We can twist this any way you want. What has this country come to when 16-18 year olds turn their back on the Flag and some people think this is ok. Maybe they need to go to a Veterans hospital and visit. Maybe they need to see people who have lost limbs or talk to family members who have lost love ones who served our country. Shaking my head !

They disrespected the flag? Slow your roll Boomer!

I understand your point. What is ironic though, is that the flag represents all those liberties that allows one the freedom to make choices .....by not respecting the flag you are denigrating all the ideals that go into your freedom of choice. We ALL should be standing to respect the flag to acknowledge the freedom it represents, and then if you have a grievance with a specific issue, protest that issue; the flag essentially guarantees your right to protest that issue.

That is your opinion.

You can’t suspend them but at real schools they would ride the bench. It would be America night at every road game

Probably the ignorance some adults taught them. Just like adults who teach kids how to be prejudice.

So what are they protesting?

A shooting by police. Apparently, a relative of one of the players was shot and killed by an Akron police officer. At first, from what I gather, it was just the relative, at first, and then he was eventually joined by three other teammates.

A shooting by police. Apparently, a relative of one of the players was shot and killed by an Akron police officer. At first, from what I gather, it was just the relative, at first, and then he was eventually joined by three other teammates.

Do you have a link to support this? Just curious as I don’t get the paper.

Do you have a link to support this? Just curious as I don’t get the paper.

Nothing, except on social media and that I heard the superintendent of Barberton Schools on WAKR this morning talking about it. There were calls afterward, and there seemed to be some consistency concerning the reason the players sat.

That soften my stance some. Just hate protesting the Flag. Prayers for the young man and his family ?

I definitely think kneeling for the anthem is disrespectful, but the thing that has always turned my stomach is when i hear a coach or announcer talk about going to war when playing sports. Playing a game should never be compared to an action where you are willing to sacrifice your life for your country. Coaches need to understand they are leading players into a simple game that will be over in a couple of hours, not some general leading troops into battle...you're just a coach, nothing more. Announcers are even worse. They do it just to sensationalize the game. Its just a game!

I know I’m aging myself, but I remember a time, 12, 15, 20 years ago, that some African Americans were sitting during the national anthem. It was in the Winter and it happened at HS basketball games. Involved fans though, not players. Folks were offended but It ran its course and ended.

Anybody else who can help me out here?

Many good ways to protest and many are justified, but disrespecting the FLAG is Bad. Understand some of the anger, but the Flag is the USA. It’s a uniter or a divider and we have way too much of that ?

The school doesn't have to try to suspend the kids and get into legal jumbo. The coach though, he has the right to burry them on the bench
which is exactly what I'd do with those nimrods.

Benching a kid who plays starts/plays significantly over it would open them up to litigation as well IMO. Superintendent made it clear in a statement where the Supreme Court has ruled on situations like this. Students can not be punished.

Benching a kid who plays starts/plays significantly over it would open them up to litigation as well IMO. Superintendent made it clear in a statement where the Supreme Court has ruled on situations like this. Students can not be punished.
So if a player suddenly gets less playing time the district could be sued? I highly doubt that?

Interesting comments here. Playing high school basketball is a privilege. It is not a right. This falls on the coach if he is allowing players to do this. Yes in this country we have freedom of choice. However, when you sit or kneel when it comes to the symbol of the freedoms that we have and you disrespect it, then you have jus spit on the graves of every woman and man who have fought and given their lives for us to be in the greatest country there is. And it has absolutely nothing to do with race , or background. There are proper ways to protest if you feel you have the need to protest. This is not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.