What has happened to the State Tournament

Because it's about money! Can't piggyback a freestyle state with boys state. Different refs and setup for tables. Time schedule etc. But they should do it freestyle, set the girls up to succeed in college. Not be behind other states.

Do other states do freestyle in high school for females? I was under the impression all states did folk.

I didn't realize that girls wrestling in college was freestyle. Why in the heck are they even doing folk? Dumb
The girls do folkstyle in high school because that is the infrastructure that is in place with not enough coaches and referees with freestyle experience.

better question is since Olympic and world wrestling is freestyle (and Greco) why is high school and men’s college wrestling folkstyle.

Do other states do freestyle in high school for females? I was under the impression all states did folk.
My understanding is all states do folkstyle for girls because of the infrastructure with coaches and referees.

I know prior to sanctioning that the Iowa group running a girls tournament was using a modified version the freestyle out of bounds (on feet) and all restarts to neutral (no escape point) but continued folkstyle mat wrestling after takedown.

Not sure if they followed that for their sanctioned season this year or went to regular folkstyle. Interestingly Iowa has different sanctioning organizations for boys and girls sports but was using the boys referees for wrestling.

The girls do folkstyle in high school because that is the infrastructure that is in place with not enough coaches and referees with freestyle experience.

better question is since Olympic and world wrestling is freestyle (and Greco) why is high school and men’s college wrestling folkstyle.
Because a miniscule amount (0.1%) of high school (and even college) wrestlers have any intention of wrestling in the olympics or worlds.

Because a miniscule amount (0.1%) of high school (and even college) wrestlers have any intention of wrestling in the olympics or worlds.
Women’s wrestling in college is an outgrowth of developing for international competition. Since international competition is the highest level why not move all wrestling to freestyle (and Greco).

Please quote text from Title 9 that states everyone deserves the same venue or at least a "comparable" venue. Our schools don't even HAVE to carry a girls wrestling team if there's not enough interest! They don't HAVE to have a comparable venue either. Where does the "equality" issue end? It's a bottomless rabbit hole. Gotta love Title 9 though! It's killing our men's sports. One of the main reasons many college wrestling programs have been dropped, but hey, let's keep supporting it!
I'm only going off experience here. My experience is that if you have to give one of the genders the lesser treatment it better be the boys. My HS had two gyms. The smaller one was used for girls basketball and the larger for boys. This allowed the girls, with their smaller crowds, to really pack the gym and have a good home court advantage. This worked until a parent came along and didn't like that his daughter didn't get to play in the bigger gym and made it a Title IX issue. All HS games must now take place in the bigger gym.

Since people here posting are in the know. How about posting the wrestling tournament budget. Cost and income statement for the event at Schott. It should be public knowledge, so let everyone know. Stage cost 40k and Rudis had to contribute.

Go read the History of Boys HS State Wrestling Championships here in Ohio . I believe its on the OHSAA page.

In short for the 1st several years only 20 Boys Teams Statewide were even invited to the Tournament each year. If you wrestled and weren't on one of those Teams guess what no chance to win a State Title. The Championship was held in HS gym's in Northern Ohio for over 20 years. the Mats were a piece of crap.
The Boys paid their dues to built up to having what they have had. Just sayin

Cleveland is gonna get the state tournament and its gonna be right again ending on Saturday, and a bunch of money is gonna end up in cleveland instead of columbus. You think cleveland has the advantage now, its gonna be ugly LOL. Ohsaa /OSU got this whole thing wrong and its not even close.

Cleveland is gonna get the state tournament and its gonna be right again ending on Saturday, and a bunch of money is gonna end up in cleveland instead of columbus. You think cleveland has the advantage now, its gonna be ugly LOL. Ohsaa /OSU got this whole thing wrong and its not even close.
Bad for Cincinnati travel

So ohsaa got it wrong, but they aren't getting it right by moving it to Cleveland,? I'm confused - would they not be the ones making the decision to move it?

Also, you think that where the state tournament is located impacts the quality of high school wrestling in that area? I'd argue it has little to no affect. If it were in Cincinnati, Cleveland area wrestling would still be better.

Last edited:
It had a very, 'before the fall of the Soviet Union feel about it.'
I spent my youth years in Hara Arena watching my brother wrestle. Then some concerts while attending Wright State.
2023-03-16_Hara Arena.png

I honestly didn't realize what a dump it was. I thought it was awesome. lol

My upgrade: Toledo Waite high school for my wrestling district days.

We did, in 1990. Cinci had it in an arm pit of a building.
Next year was the Nutter Arena.
It had a very, 'before the fall of the Soviet Union feel about it.'
Hey, you guys better not be talking about the Cincinnati Gardens. As a kid I saw The Big O, Jerry Lucas, and Connie Dierking play there for the Cincy Royals. From what I remember, the place was a palace.

I'm only going off experience here. My experience is that if you have to give one of the genders the lesser treatment it better be the boys. My HS had two gyms. The smaller one was used for girls basketball and the larger for boys. This allowed the girls, with their smaller crowds, to really pack the gym and have a good home court advantage. This worked until a parent came along and didn't like that his daughter didn't get to play in the bigger gym and made it a Title IX issue. All HS games must now take place in the bigger gym.
its not because of title 9.its the schools giving in instead of fighting it.it doesnt have to do with where they played because most schools dont have 2 high school gyms.its about not playing on friday nights or saturday nights.has nothing to do with venue.

its not because of title 9.its the schools giving in instead of fighting it.it doesnt have to do with where they played because most schools dont have 2 high school gyms.its about not playing on friday nights or saturday nights.has nothing to do with venue.
That was also a part of it I'm sure.

The OHSAA has really dropped the ball over the last few years when it comes to hosting this event in my opinion.

Awards - Could you imagine being a 4 time State Champion and being recognized for this unbelievable feat at 10:00pm on a Sunday night this way?
No Stage - Was awesome for the competitors and coaches while it lasted. I get that there was less time before finals, but fix it for next year!
Mats - Go back to red and green
Parking - A joke, but what can they do about it???
Team Scoreboards - Was a great way to see your school accomplishments at this tournament. Wrestlers loved getting their picture by the Big Board.
Fri/Sat/Sun - THE WORST IDEA EVER! When a kid wins a State Championship or is in the finals they can not even get a milkshake in celebration of their accomplishment unless they are taken to McDonald, Wendy's, Steak&Shake or Burger King. Everything is closed!! Go back to Thur/Fri/Sat asap!

This tournament use to be a the premiere high school wrestling tournament in the country. I remember people coming from all over the country to watch the pageantry and style that the Ohio State Wrestling Championship offered to its coaches officials and competitors. It seems now that we have fallen off the map in recent years. The wrestling was top notch as usual but the tournamnet needs to get back to what it used to be about: the kids, coaches and officials.
I agree on all aspects of this post. The Mats were the worst part of this event in my opinion. The referees have a hard enough job to do and the out of bounds rule that is hard enough was made a joke. Too many missed takedowns that should have been inbounds really changed the outcome of dozens of matches or more. Plus they were ugly and did not fit the event well.

Girls should be 8 girl brackets .. too many losing records and some girls make the “schott” by making weight at their regional .. there’s not 16 girls at each weight worthy of saying they made the “schott” .. just my opinion .. I’m glad they have girls wrestling but it should be showcased alone and not w the boys !!

What would be the one or two things you would want the successor to Tyler Brooks to ask in a survey to the ADs and head coaches of schools that have wrestling that relate to the state tournament? Or maybe to any wrestling issue in general, if you want to expand the scope of this thread. For example, if the tournament is moved out of C-bus and the Arnold Classic and OSU's desires no longer are factors in scheduling, should he (the successor most probably will be a he) ask if there is any support to shortening the season by a week?