What happens if counties go "Purple"?

A parent down in Clermont County finally wised up and filed a motion for a restraining order against these goofy health department rules so she could play in her soccer game tonight. They won. They wanted her to quarantine despite wearing a mask and having plastic dividers in the classroom.

We all need to take a stand like this! It’s about time.

All the cancelled games I've seen were because either a player or staff member was the one to test positive. It's hard to argue players aren't in close contact with others on the team.

I don’t think there is a risk of getting covid from pumping gas outside, do you? I am more safety minded than most and even I skip the mask when pumping gas.
Not sure what kind of football parties you are talking about? Tailgating is not allowed.
I do understand what you are saying but short of a police state I don’t know how we can force 100% of the people to comply 100% of the time. The schools (3) and football programs (2) i am around have compliance with the masks and social distancing. I wonder why there is such a big disparity from what you are seeing.
No easy answers here.

I always made sure to face East and tap the keg three times before heading out for exam. Seemed to work.

I wondered if anyone would jump on the ritual learning instead of remote learning in the first post. Kudos EastIsBest.

I'll be interested to see if the rumors are true that the Thursday after the election several of the red counties will turn purple.

I live in a rural red county. A recent trip to walmart and slightly more than half the people had masks on, but about half those with masks had them down on their chin.

Where I teach, the administration has made it clear we are staying in session unless the governor or health dept. shuts us down.

A parent down in Clermont County finally wised up and filed a motion for a restraining order against these goofy health department rules so she could play in her soccer game tonight. They won. They wanted her to quarantine despite wearing a mask and having plastic dividers in the classroom.

We all need to take a stand like this! It’s about time.

Aka, get a sympathetic judge for the TRO, and get your way without ever succeeding on the merits. Ok. If someone wants to.point out the legal basis for succeeding on these types of suits, and I dont mean just for temporary injunctive relief, throw it out there, would love to hear the legal basis

Aka, get a sympathetic judge for the TRO, and get your way without ever succeeding on the merits. Ok. If someone wants to.point out the legal basis for succeeding on these types of suits, and I dont mean just for temporary injunctive relief, throw it out there, would love to hear the legal basis
I am no lawyer but i will play one on Yappi just for fun. The right to liberty and the pursuit of happiness? Innocent until proven guilty? The thingie they always make you sign at the doctor’s office about your right to health privacy? My body my choice?

There ya go! Prove my point. Arrogant and talking down to me.

1. no one believes the are guaranteed a college degree by playing football. I said chase that dream.
2. lots of people have lost their jobs. You must be super rich and live in a bubble of rich friends.
Maybe try some empathy.
I understand that many have lost their jobs—I am empathic... the problem is with how you worded your complaint— no one (at this point in time— and really, at any point in time, even during the initial lockdown period) is or was facing “the constant threat of taking away our actual freedom to leave our house to make a living” — I don’t think anyone has ever prevented anyone (in the US— certainly not in Ohio) from leaving their home, at any time. And most (not all) people were not prevented from “making a living”— the problem (whether you are an airline pilot or a waitress or a sales clerk) is that the customers have NOT come back in sufficient numbers to make it profitable enough for the business to continue employing you—and that is an elective decision on the part of the customers— NOT due to an edict by any government official— the actual period of economic lockdown in Ohio was relatively short— and ended months ago.

As for the “chase our dreams” remark, you used that phrase, and then the Latin abbreviation “ie” [sic]— which roughly translates as “in example”— and then talked about ”play(ing) football in the hopes of getting a college education per Northmont” — so I addressed myself to that specific dream chase example— did Northmont’s players not get to play eight games this year? Is that not 80% of a (normal) season)? Is that not a form of being able to chase that dream? Is one more game somehow the difference between being able to “chase our dreams” or not?

(Now, if you are talking about MAC or Ivy League college players, that is a different story— but each of them have been told that they will get a chance to compete in the spring— we shall see.)

Willing to have this conversation since you didn’t act arrogant. Where are you seeing people not wearing masks? Everywhere i go people are required to wear them and they are.
I have noted in earlier posts (elsewhere) that I regularly see people NOT wearing them at the grocery store— either not at all, or else ”wearing” them on their neck or chin, only— the mask serves no purpose, if not covering the wearer’s nose and mouth—that’s essentially the same thing as NOT wearing one. I also have seen it at the auto repair shop that I visited, the blacksmith shop, the chainsaw repair shop, and numerous other (small) businesses— that seems to be the common thread there— owners/employees at small businesses (other than the hardware store) often do NOT seem to be wearing them. CUSTOMERS are the problem at the larger businesses.

Other than restaurants, I haven’t seen anyone not wear a mask.
Go into a Kroger— especially in a lower-income neighborhood— you will see LOTS of customers not wearing them— or not wearing them over their nose & mouth (which is essentially the same as NOT wearing one)...and Kroger does not seem to be trying to enforce the rule at all (other than posting the usual form notice on the entry doors of their stores). MANY owners and employees of small businesses are not wearing them.

I wondered if anyone would jump on the ritual learning instead of remote learning in the first post. Kudos EastIsBest.

I'll be interested to see if the rumors are true that the Thursday after the election several of the red counties will turn purple.

I live in a rural red county. A recent trip to walmart and slightly more than half the people had masks on, but about half those with masks had them down on their chin.

Where I teach, the administration has made it clear we are staying in session unless the governor or health dept. shuts us down.
I assumed the “ritual” instead of “virtual” was an auto-correct, and let it pass—But I liked EiB’s take on it— looks like you were making a point...

As for your experience in WalMart— that is what I am seeing too, there and at Kroger.

What is the implication of ”the Thursday after the election several of the red counties will turn purple”? Are we talking about counties that are red on the state’s Covid-19 outbreak level coding? or their political leaning? Or something else? And what would be the reasoning behind the change?

I am no lawyer but i will play one on Yappi just for fun. The right to liberty and the pursuit of happiness? Innocent until proven guilty? The thingie they always make you sign at the doctor’s office about your right to health privacy? My body my choice?
What do any of these vague snippets of quotations mean? Can you be specific please— because when you have been specific (earlier), it didn’t really hold any water. Your right to do (fill in the blank) stops at the doorstep (of my home, private property, or state-owned property)... In this case, this woman can do whatever she wants with her body (short of suicide), in her own home--but she doesn’t have unlimited rights to go where she wants, when she wants, how she wants,

1. Why doesn’t the media report on death rates?
99.8% or 99.9%?
2. Why doesn’t the media report that the surge in cases parallels a surge in testing?
The media DOES report on these matters— you are not paying attention... and the statistics (that you are trying to cite) are incorrect (by a factor of 3X-6X)— the actual death rate is more like 0.6-0.7%— what you are trying to cite are the SURVIVAL rates, not the death rates— but, again, you have the data wrong (way low on the rate of death).

The fact that cases are surging paralleling a surge in testing is worth noting— without really making any difference in the seriousness of the epidemic—what really matters is how many people are ending up hospitalized and/or dying— and those numbers are surging as well—over and over, we have seen that, as case numbers surge, the numbers of hospitalizations (and then deaths) surge—THAT is why surging case counts matter— and no amount of testing is EVER DRIVING hospitalizations or deaths— that is the ignorant science fallacy that our current president has promulgated broadly across his support base. It’s like blaming the thermometer for the temperature being over 100 degrees on a hot day... all the thermometer does is test the air that’s around it— it doesn‘t make the air hot— just as tests don’t infect people-- tests just reveal infected people.

BUT the tests don’t create cases nor hospitalizations nor deaths—the tests REVEAL (typically asymptomatic) cases— and help to prevent people who are positive (but asymptomatic) from walking around communicating the disease to other people— which is important, because eventually, a decent percentage of those people who get the virus from an asymptomatic person will, in turn, get a serious (sometimes even fatal) case of the disease...But NO ONE with a severe case is really being “revealed” by a test— that is more a confirmation of what most medical personnel ALREADY KNOW— and it is mounting levels of severe cases that overwhelm healthcare systems— and kill LOTS of people (an extra ~300,000 Americans so far this year)...

2. Why doesn’t the media report that the surge in cases parallels a surge in testing?
Because it's not completely accurate. Testing has not increased appreciably over the last month, cases have. Also, it's the same thing as saying that because of limited testing earlier, the real number of cases was under-reported.

All the cancelled games I've seen were because either a player or staff member was the one to test positive. It's hard to argue players aren't in close contact with others on the team.

it’s very easy to argue that. Think about 15 minutes of actual continuous contact. Kids and staff are constantly moving at practice or at a game. It doesn’t happen.

What do any of these vague snippets of quotations mean? Can you be specific please— because when you have been specific (earlier), it didn’t really hold any water. Your right to do (fill in the blank) stops at the doorstep (of my home, private property, or state-owned property)... In this case, this woman can do whatever she wants with her body (short of suicide), in her own home--but she doesn’t have unlimited rights to go where she wants, when she wants, how she wants,
Relax dude

I don’t think there is a risk of getting covid from pumping gas outside, do you? I am more safety minded than most and even I skip the mask when pumping gas.
Not sure what kind of football parties you are talking about? Tailgating is not allowed.
I do understand what you are saying but short of a police state I don’t know how we can force 100% of the people to comply 100% of the time. The schools (3) and football programs (2) i am around have compliance with the masks and social distancing. I wonder why there is such a big disparity from what you are seeing.
No easy answers here.

Attended 3 Games this yr at 2 different Schools. Not “normal” Tailgating but people were Tailgating at all 3 Games. 1 location had people Tailgating behind their vehicles parked on a public street?

So whats your specifics since you are so serious and cannot take a joke?
Are you advocating forcing this girl to be tested by physical force if she refuses to be tested? Who would you recommend would be in charge of that? The police? School officials? Maybe you!
What are your specific answers that will stop this because you are clearly smarter than every European and Chinese official since the virus is surging in all those places.
If only you were king of the world!

The media DOES report on these matters— you are not paying attention... and the statistics (that you are trying to cite) are incorrect (by a factor of 3X-6X)— the actual death rate is more like 0.6-0.7%— what you are trying to cite are the SURVIVAL rates, not the death rates— but, again, you have the data wrong (way low on the rate of death).

The fact that cases are surging paralleling a surge in testing is worth noting— without really making any difference in the seriousness of the epidemic—what really matters is how many people are ending up hospitalized and/or dying— and those numbers are surging as well—over and over, we have seen that, as case numbers surge, the numbers of hospitalizations (and then deaths) surge—THAT is why surging case counts matter— and no amount of testing is EVER DRIVING hospitalizations or deaths— that is the ignorant science fallacy that our current president has promulgated broadly across his support base. It’s like blaming the thermometer for the temperature being over 100 degrees on a hot day... all the thermometer does is test the air that’s around it— it doesn‘t make the air hot— just as tests don’t infect people-- tests just reveal infected people.

BUT the tests don’t create cases nor hospitalizations nor deaths—the tests REVEAL (typically asymptomatic) cases— and help to prevent people who are positive (but asymptomatic) from walking around communicating the disease to other people— which is important, because eventually, a decent percentage of those people who get the virus from an asymptomatic person will, in turn, get a serious (sometimes even fatal) case of the disease...But NO ONE with a severe case is really being “revealed” by a test— that is more a confirmation of what most medical personnel ALREADY KNOW— and it is mounting levels of severe cases that overwhelm healthcare systems— and kill LOTS of people (an extra ~300,000 Americans so far this year)...

Better recheck your stats. Those death rates are directly from the CDC. That 300,000 also is a number that reflects those who have died with it and not from it. You have been falsely influenced by the mainstream media’s panic driven agenda.

I was wondering also when you revealed yourself as the liberal or anti trumpet you seem to be. The facts are we have MANY treatments under his watch and an unprecedented number potentially vaccines in development but you and people like you will blame him and not who you probably should blame. But you would fit right into our media’s preoccupation with this because that’s what excites your group.

I was wondering also when you revealed yourself as the liberal or anti trumper you seem to be. The facts are we have MANY treatments under his watch and an unprecedented number potentially vaccines in development but you and people like you will blame him and not who you probably should blame. But you would fit right into our media’s preoccupation with this because that’s what excites your group.

I was wondering also when you revealed yourself as the liberal or anti trumpet you seem to be. The facts are we have MANY treatments under his watch and an unprecedented number potentially vaccines in development but you and people like you will blame him and not who you probably should blame. But you would fit right into our media’s preoccupation with this because that’s what excites your group.
????

Saw news story on Cleveland.com. If Cuyahoga county goes purple board of health will put all schools on virtual learning and stop all extracurricular activities. Just waiting on word from the state on status. BTW University of Wisconsin called next fb vs. Nebraska because of Covid outbreak on team.

wont happen until after all their teams are out of the playoffs..........conveniently....
Saw news story on Cleveland.com. If Cuyahoga county goes purple board of health will put all schools on virtual learning and stop all extracurricular activities. Just waiting on word from the state on status. BTW University of Wisconsin called next fb vs. Nebraska because of Covid outbreak on team.

The Bd of Health will recommend, not mandate...........

I am one, which is why I was curious for feedback as I hear the sentiment alot, and it mostly doesn't hold water based on state laws. I still haven't heard someone offer a sound legal basis