What H.S. coaches could be successful at a City League school and maintain being good?

Dell 112

What high school coaches could be successful at a City League school and maintain being good?

I'm not sure if folks realize how hard it is to coach in the city league.Let alone be good year after year. So who are some coaches that you think could do it?

No one say Ted Ginn. With the talent he had, Glenville should have won at least two state titles.

He always got hurt in the trenches. Amazing talent, and it always sucked that his teams got stuck at D1. D1 in his area is pretty darn tough. If he could have been D2 like Brookhaven or Winton Woods he would have gotten a couple of titles if you ask me. No city team will ever win a D1 state championship in football, lake of depth and OL will kill them.

What high school coaches could be successful at a City League school and maintain being good?

I'm not sure if folks realize how hard it is to coach in the city league.Let alone be good year after year. So who are some coaches that you think could do it?

Mac Stephens sets the standard from Cleveland Heights.
It comes down to men who believe in their players, and who can get players to buy in. Many city kids fight different battles so coaches that would really care about their players.

A few that pop in my head I feel have the right outlook on football and life from what I know.
Hicks Cleveland Heights Assistant
Rotzy from Euclid
Elder from Avon

He always got hurt in the trenches. Amazing talent, and it always sucked that his teams got stuck at D1. D1 in his area is pretty darn tough. If he could have been D2 like Brookhaven or Winton Woods he would have gotten a couple of titles if you ask me. No city team will ever win a D1 state championship in football, lake of depth and OL will kill them.

Good point, D1 is a different animal.

I know it’s early, but I’d keep an eye on Chris Amill at Youngstown Chaney. He’s a great coach, and has done a great job with a program that just got restarted. Also there’s a reason why Mooney hasn’t been as good in the past 4-5 yrs, part of it is because Amill wasn’t there.

The year they played Hilliard Davidson in the finals showed how bad of a coach he really is. It was like 4th and half a yard or so and all he had to do was sneak with Cardale and he didn't and didn't pick it up. Davidson scored on a long run after and that was it.

Rotsky and Euclid staff

Any coach that wants to see student athletes be successful in life and football and genuinely cares about them, and that has a coaching staff that shares the same beliefs.

There are plenty of coaches in the city leagues that are very successful and it may not show in the W/L column. Donte Goosby from Centennial has done a good job building a family program which in turn has led to successful student athletes which has led to the wins and playoffs.

I wonder what some coaches in the city leagues could do if they had the support and resources that the coaches of established programs have in place.

The year they played Hilliard Davidson in the finals showed how bad of a coach he really is. It was like 4th and half a yard or so and all he had to do was sneak with Cardale and he didn't and didn't pick it up. Davidson scored on a long run after and that was it.
People like to crap on Ginn for not winning a championship. Dont forget in the Davidson game the Glenville receivers dropped wide open balls in the end zone. They also won some big games against Iggy and Ed's in that time frame. You just dont 'out athlete' those teams without some line play.

Brian Haffele had tough teams at Marion Franklin. He got screwed by having to play up in D2/D3 when the school was actually D4/D5

Brian Haffele had tough teams at Marion Franklin. He got screwed by having to play up in D2/D3 when the school was actually D4/D5
Earlier in the 2010’s they were D3 by enrollment, but the school’s enrollment kept contracting and around the same time is when OHSAA came up with that bizarre rule that forced the city schools to take on students who weren’t attending the school (eg instead, attending charters) into their enrollment count.

Earlier in the 2010’s they were D3 by enrollment, but the school’s enrollment kept contracting and around the same time is when OHSAA came up with that bizarre rule that forced the city schools to take on students who weren’t attending the school (eg instead, attending charters) into their enrollment count.
I’m talking about the Columbus city school enrollment scandal
I thought after the Marion Franklin game turned Joe Burrow into the best Ohio athlete of decade. Got tougher and made more plays on the run

Last edited: