What does- The kids need to hit the weight room mean?

FirestoneFan

I played football for Field HS from 1977-1980. Our weight room was always open and our football coach supervised the workouts. But after football, I wrestled and did lift some. After wrestling practice I went to the ProcK AC gym and boxed. 5 years in Golden Gloves. 5 hours after school wrestling and boxing. Then the off season when I could play baseball. It was all worth it but I never had a weight lifting regimen that I did not do at home and never had a coach ask me to quit what I was doing and lift weights. I was pretty good at all sports BTW, but at 60 still work construction and have a mean grip!

It sounds like you were quite the athlete. I think if a young person has the ability they should play in every sport they desire. As for hitting the weight room it is very beneficial. Moeller's early success during Coach Faust era was due to weight lifting. In fact during the 1960's when it all started they lifted weights in the basement of the weight trainer's house. It was very crude but effective. He used everything from sewer lids to railroad nails in a bucket pulley structure. Coach Faust commitment to having his team hit the weight room was ahead of the game and why Moeller dominated so much in the late 1960s and through the 1970s.

Ten years ago my son had a great senior season and it resulted in a first team all state selection on the offensive line. His junior year he didn't even get district recognition. The difference? He put himself 100% into crossfit training. From rowing to box jump to overhead presses he was doing better than some of the 20 and 30 year olds in his crossfit class. It wasn't your traditional "hit the weight room" perspective but his complete commitment to the regiment is what made the huge difference between his junior and senior year on the field

If you're more of a pure athlete playing multiple sports I think you should and you can excel no matter what you do. But I think many young athletes benefit tremendously from 'hitting the weight room" Just like most things it depends on the individual but I have to believe the statistics will show a football team that has it's athletes hit the weight room will perform significantly better than those that don't.

Watching my locals tonight, I would say the tackling was horrific meaning the ball carrier out muscled the defenders all night. So it would seem those defenders need to get stronger. Thus they need to hit the weight room. How’s the saying go…
“While you’re resting or playing, your opponent is working. And when he meets you on the field of battle, he will defeat you.” Or something like that.

Phrase used when a freak athlete like Joe Burrow breaks 11 tackles for a touchdown. Really has nothing to do with the weight room and more genetics

Back in 2007, in Mike Elder’s first year as head coach at Avon, his first game was against Avon Lake at Browns Stadium. AL won 50-25 and just physically overpowered Avon with their running game. They were bigger and stronger and were the more established program. After the game, Coach Elder was quoted as saying, “Quite honestly, this game was won in the off-season in the weight room.” By the time they played again in 2010, Coach Elder’s program was well established and a bigger, stronger Avon team beat AL and has been one of the better programs in Ohio to this day. The Avon kids put in a lot of work in the weight room.

It sounds like you were quite the athlete. I think if a young person has the ability they should play in every sport they desire. As for hitting the weight room it is very beneficial. Moeller's early success during Coach Faust era was due to weight lifting. In fact during the 1960's when it all started they lifted weights in the basement of the weight trainer's house. It was very crude but effective. He used everything from sewer lids to railroad nails in a bucket pulley structure. Coach Faust commitment to having his team hit the weight room was ahead of the game and why Moeller dominated so much in the late 1960s and through the 1970s.

Ten years ago my son had a great senior season and it resulted in a first team all state selection on the offensive line. His junior year he didn't even get district recognition. The difference? He put himself 100% into crossfit training. From rowing to box jump to overhead presses he was doing better than some of the 20 and 30 year olds in his crossfit class. It wasn't your traditional "hit the weight room" perspective but his complete commitment to the regiment is what made the huge difference between his junior and senior year on the field

If you're more of a pure athlete playing multiple sports I think you should and you can excel no matter what you do. But I think many young athletes benefit tremendously from 'hitting the weight room" Just like most things it depends on the individual but I have to believe the statistics will show a football team that has it's athletes hit the weight room will perform significantly better than those that don't.
I was all county in every sport but as a 155 pound kid college sports did not fit in except wrestling. Now My sons somehow got the big gene. My oldest was an all state football player for a 1-9 Alliance team but was a 3 time state placer in wrestling at 189-220. I never pushed them and they also competed in track and cross country. They also worked for me in the summer so not much time for weight lifting as an off season thing. I do have to agree though as my oldest son ended up as the 285 at Ohio U for 3 years and he loved lifting because he only had to wrestle and could concentrate on strength.

I think most football coaches would prefer to see every kid play other sports, but....if you don't play another sport....you had better be in the weight room.
But what if you have a job? I always did in High School. Between sports, work and girls not much left. I guess I could have gave up fishing a couple times a week to relieve stress?

Phrase used when a freak athlete like Joe Burrow breaks 11 tackles for a touchdown. Really has nothing to do with the weight room and more genetics
Genetics are a huge part. I used to coach track and I recall several studies, especially one from University of Tennessee, that determined an athlete could only add 30 % to their genetically predetermined strength by lifting weights. That sounds small on the surface, but consider a naturally strong athlete could go from a 200 bench press to 260 via weight training.

The fact is, weight training trains so much more than the body, it trains the mind to push through and deal with adversity. That mental side of strength training may prove worth more than the 30% cutoff in strength gain.

"The kids need to hit the weight room" to me, may mean some kids need to lean up and get cardiovascular fit, others may need to add weight to their frame, but ALL need to get mentally tough to push through adversity with their God given ability.