What do we think about games after a playoff loss?

Good chance to potentially let your seniors go out on a high note and/or get underclassmen playing time.

Here in Defiance, assuming we're both out by then, one of those games is Napoleon, who's by far our biggest rival. That's a game that HAS to be played or, IMO, the season was meaningless.

I agree with the view of playing as many games as you can. But let's face it. Teams losing one are teams that had no real aspirations of making a deep run. I'm curious if a team that had a real shot at State gets upset early. Will they have it in them to continue a regular season?

Underclassmen need the practice time instead of calling the season quits after 7 games.
Echoing this: we only have eight kids on our team who have ever played football before this season, and two of them graduate this coming spring. Lot of freshmen and first-year 10th and 11 graders we’re playing. First-year coach that’s building a good culture. Given this year’s offseason was a crapshoot with only one scrimmage, our kids can use all of the experience they can get that comes from not only playing but also being coached in practice and having more film work for the kids to study. Playing to 10 games and not 6-7 provides the experience and team-building that can’t be left on the table.

Echoing this: we only have eight kids on our team who have ever played football before this season, and two of them graduate this coming spring. Lot of freshmen and first-year 10th and 11 graders we’re playing. First-year coach that’s building a good culture. Given this year’s offseason was a crapshoot with only one scrimmage, our kids can use all of the experience they can get that comes from not only playing but also being coached in practice and having more film work for the kids to study. Playing to 10 games and not 6-7 provides the experience and team-building that can’t be left on the table.
I look at it from the POV of a school that has made some deep playoff runs. Those extra weeks of practice are invaluable in getting the next batch of kids ready for the future. Teams whose seasons end earlier cannot duplicate those extra weeks of practice. They can start offseason weightlifting earlier than the teams that go deeper into the playoffs, but they cannot start practicing any earlier than the deep-advancing playoff teams do.

yeah play some more games for all reason stated above., since a playoff loss in 2020 isn't really a true playoff loss. This isn't that much different than a 2-5 or 2-6 team just finishing off the season.

You're a non-D1 playoff team, and you played your (max) six regular season games through Oct 3. You didn't get a bye in round 1 and you've played three playoff games and lost in week 9 (Oct 23-24). You can still get in three more games before the deadline. Anybody still available within your competition level and/or proximity?

So taking a different perspective from the OP, after how many playoff wins do you just call it a season?

Last edited:
You're a non-D1 playoff team, and you played your (max) six regular season games through Oct 3. You didn't get a bye in round 1 and you've played three playoff games and lost in week 9 (Oct 23-24). You can still get in three more games before the deadline. Anybody still available within your competition level and/or proximity?

So taking a different perspective from the OP, after how many playoff wins do you just call it a season?

I don’t think you’d be able to play 3 more, only 1. Pretty sure you can’t go over 10 games unless still in the playoffs

Some schools still have league games and titles on the line.

Some schools have non-league rivalry games to play.

Some schools just might enjoy the opportunity to play a team they have never played before.

For all of their hard work, for seniors that won’t get a 10 game senior year - what a great idea! My Loveland Tigers are playing Milford in one of those games...

To me this makes zero sense unless you do something like giving the seniors the first quarter and then set it up as a show case for next season. other then that it is a way for a coach with a losing record to get to 500.

depends how far you advance. if you lost round 1 then go ahead and play a few more. especially if you’re a program who is building from the ground up that could get some wins playing opponents of equal caliber. (i’m looking at you, Bradford and Catholic Central)

but if you make it to round 3 and lose? just let the season be over. a lot of kids won’t have very much motivation to go play a single meaningless game. losing in the 3rd round of the playoffs is still a high note, in my opinion. advancing that far is a great accomplishment.

To me this makes zero sense unless you do something like giving the seniors the first quarter and then set it up as a show case for next season. other then that it is a way for a coach with a losing record to get to 500.
Is that what you would have wanted your senior season? They have labored in the program for 4-6 years. Let them play.

Most these kids will never get play a football game rest their lives. They should let them play all 10 games even after their playoff game. Why not. Where did this magic number come from as to how many games they allowed play. I mean if u continue in the playoffs don’t you have same risks. And r these kids anymore at risk then in crowed hallways in school or outside of school for that matter. Whole thing seems pointless to screw these kids out games. Especially seniors who will never get their senior year back. Just seems like a lot hypocritical thinking and planning went into this. U still have a right to not play if u r scared getting virus. Nobody is forcing u to play. And some opted out and that’s their right. Just saying seems a little made up to me. If it was as bad as a lot r claiming them no games should been played to begin with.