What books are you reading in 2020?

1. Angel of Death---Jack Higgins
2. Darkness-Take my Hand---Dennis Lehane
3. Urge to Kill---John Lutz
4. Cold Justice---Diane Capri (short story)
5. Drink with the Devil---Jack Higgins
6. Illicit Supply---Don Pendleton (far-fetched and lousy)
7. Midnight Rambler---James Swain

Al Shabaab in Somalia.
My Way, about Bobby Knight.
Everyone Counts: Faith, Family and my Life in Baseball: Book about my high school baseball coach. Read it last fall when i got it, starting it over again.

Back in the late 60's I had to read The Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad for a college course. All I remembered about it was I hated it. I decided to find out why and got an E-Book copy from the library. Only made it thru 3 pages. Too old to waste reading time on something I have to suffer through.

"The Body" by Bill Bryson. A Christmas present from my brother.

Very enjoyable, so far. Typical Bryson humor, even though it's a book about Biology and Anatomy.

Just got done with "Blue Moon", the latest Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child.

Meh. Standard Reacher stuff - two big fists, with fewer twists. Child may have phoned this one in, at least partially

Not sure if this was based on an actual American city - if so, what town of 500,000 is totally controlled by two Eastern European based mobs? Guess I'm not as worldly as I imagine, lol.

Will start looking for more of the Reacher short stories and novellas I understand are out. I own "No Middle Name", really enjoyed that collection. Childs says he's going to kill Reacher off in the final novel. Looking forward/not looking forward to that.

Last edited:
Reacher short stories are:
Second Son
Deep Down
High Heat
Not a Drill
Small Wars
Too Much Time
The Christmas Scorpion
The Fourth Man
Their are a couple other short stories that are called Face-Off that are Reacher and a main character by another author working together:
Good and Valuable Consideration
Cleaning the Gold
I have read neither of the Face-Off books and only a couple of the others.

Ladino - JPS Brown, 12th of his, almost done. Westerns set in SE Arizona and Sonora Mexico
The Garden of Eden - Hemingway, 16th of his.
Stubby Pringle's Christmas - Jack Schaefer. It' a kid's book, and Schaefer's best known short story.

currently reading
The Bounty Hunters - Elmore Leonard, I've read everything of his published in a book, some twice. This is his 1st novel.
Jack London Strories - Jack London. Been setting on the shelf for years.
All Things Reconsidered - Roger Tory Peterson. Essays about bird watching.

12. John Lutz---Serial
13. Jack Higgins---The President's daughter
14. Nick Petrie--Tear it Down
15. Tim Green---The Letter of the Law
16. Dennis Lehane---Pulse

Albert Fish In His Own Words: The Shocking Confessions of the Child Killing Cannibal by John Borowski
The Institute - Stephen King

"Runnin' With The Devil" by Noel Monk, an account of Van Halen's early years, from their formation to 1985, when DLR left the group. Monk says he started as their road manager, became their personal manager, and helped them become rich through some shrewd dealings.

"Caddyshack: The Making Of A Hollywood Cinderella Story" by Chris Nashawaty. 130-some pages before it gets to the actual filming of the title movie yet. Lots of detail and background, starting with the Harvard Lampoon.

1-The other daughter- Lisa Gardner (My fav by her, so far)
2-Fury of the mountain man- William W. Johnstone
3-Blood Oath- Linda Fairstein (First time reading her and I have to say this one was very good.)

3-Blood Oath- Linda Fairstein (First time reading her and I have to say this one was very good.)
4-Rage of the mountain man- William W. Johnstone

17. Dennis Lehane--Sacred
18. Lee Child--Personal
19. Tim Green--Above the Law
20. James Swain--The Night Stalker
Also 2 very short stories by Lee Child--Not a Drill and The Christmas Scorpion

5-All Hallows Eve- Heather Graham

21. Tim Green---False Convictions
22. John Lutz---Twist
23. Tim Green---The Fifth Angel
24. James Swain---The Night Monster
25. John Lutz---Frenzy

Reacher short stories :
Cleaning the Gold
Just finished this. Interesting to see two fictional characters team up like this. As soon as Will Trent's quest was revealed, I suspected where it would lead. A similar plot device was used in the Reacher short story compilation "No Middle Name".

Also finished "Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future", by Ashlee Vance.

Working on right now:

- "Tears We Cannot Stop: A Sermon To White America" by Michael Eric Dyson"

- "Mary and Lou and Rhoda and Ted" (behind-the-scenes look at how the Mary Tyler Moore show came to be) by Jennifer Keishin Armstrong

Just starting Follett's "Fall of Giants" recommended by the lady owns the cafe near. I've never read any thing by him. She promised me it does have light sabers and aliens. Seems like the kind of plot I'd like, period piece about families and dynasties.

5-All Hallows Eve- Heather Graham
6-Final Jeopardy- Linda Fairstein
(I am impressed with the amount of books some of you have already read this year. I do not read that fast.)

26. Jack Higgins---Midnight Runner
27. Dennis Lehane---Gone, Baby, Gone
28. John Gilstrap---Total Mayhem
29. Daniel Silva---The Defector---This was book 9 of a very good series about an Israeli spy/assassin named Gabriel Allon. I've enjoyed all 9 books.
30. John Gilstrap---At all Costs---really liked this one
and another Lee Child short story--Small Wars

Just got done with "Blue Moon", the latest Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child.

Meh. Standard Reacher stuff - two big fists, with fewer twists. Child may have phoned this one in, at least partially

Not sure if this was based on an actual American city - if so, what town of 500,000 is totally controlled by two Eastern European based mobs? Guess I'm not as worldly as I imagine, lol.

Will start looking for more of the Reacher short stories and novellas I understand are out. I own "No Middle Name", really enjoyed that collection. Childs says he's going to kill Reacher off in the final novel. Looking forward/not looking forward to that.

Zunardo,

Glad to hear you are a Jack Reacher fan. "Blue Moon" is the only Reacher novel I haven't read. Waiting for it to hit the paperback status and likely
it will become my summer vacation book. Lee Child's Jack Reacher books are about the only fiction books I read anymore. I mainly read only non-fiction. You are correct about Lee Child ready to stop writing any more Reacher books, but not planning to kill him off. Per an article in "The Guardian" last month, Lee Child, age 65 ( real name James Grant ) is going to turn the Jack Reacher series over to his younger brother Andrew Grant, age 51. Andrew Grant is also a writer. The stipulation is that Andrew Grant will began writing future Jack Reacher novels using the name of Andrew Child. Lee Child's next Jack Reacher book will be his 25th in the series and is entitled " The Sentinal" due to be released 10/29/20.

Lee Child will assist Andrew Child in writing the next couple of Reacher books as co-authors listed and eventually the novels will show Andrew Child as the sole author. Will be interesting to see if the two brothers' writing styles differ significantly.

JB

Last edited:
Fans of Jack Reacher might like a series of books about another guy that just wants to be left alone. Stephen Hunter has a 9 book Bob Lee Swagger series. The 1st in the series is "Point of Impact", which I thought was excellent, as were most of the 9 books.