What are you watching?

Not downgrading it at all. Merely pointing out how there's a stark difference in watching it today vs 1940. It hits you different because you've experienced so much other stuff post 1940. My experience watching Citizen Kane is going to be quite different than someone who watched it for the first time when it came out. That's inevitable, and the point I was making.

I did enjoy it, and also bought Casablanca and Singin' In The Rain yesterday to watch. I'm pretty sure I've seen Treasure of the Sierra Madre, but I'd have to look at the plot to remember honestly.
Hey, I'll concede (my opinion) that Citizen Kane isn't the most "fun" movie to watch. It's very entertaining, but, for most, not at the top in terms of pure entertainment. And I know that you're supposed to put in up close to #1 in terms of great movies. BUT, those who are expert in the making of movies, in "effects" and "techniques", in how a movie is filmed, all point to it as the all-time great.

umpire should be suspended.... first of all he should not let the player jump up and down on the 2nd strike...... and then.... you got to be kidding
that 2nd strike was pretty outrageous too. Ump probably didn't make a deal of the demonstration because his whole goal was to go home. He has been suspended.

Cunk on Earth- Netfix

Seriously I rarely laugh out loud but this Mockumentary had me going. It 5 parts and the Star Diane Morgan (After Life) was hilarious. You don’t have to commit to all 5 parts as she starts with the evolution of man and end in present day. 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I started History of the World Part II last night. I got 10-15 minutes into the first episode and after not laughing once turned it off.
This! I did the exact same thing. Might try another episode as they have so many big names taking a turn on each skit but worried that its basically great talent getting paid for a quickie.

The good thing is I decided to watch Part 1 again and it reminded me of a gag I played on one of my kids when she was taking grade school theology. I told here there was originally 15 commandments and after she claimed BS I showed her the below clip. Of course she goes into class and proceeds to tell the teacher about the 15 commandments and uses the internet as her source. I thikn it might have been the 1st and only time Mel Brooks was cited as a reference at a Catholic Grade School.

This! I did the exact same thing. Might try another episode as they have so many big names taking a turn on each skit but worried that its basically great talent getting paid for a quickie.

The good thing is I decided to watch Part 1 again and it reminded me of a gag I played on one of my kids when she was taking grade school theology. I told here there was originally 15 commandments and after she claimed BS I showed her the below clip. Of course she goes into class and proceeds to tell the teacher about the 15 commandments and uses the internet as her source. I thikn it might have been the 1st and only time Mel Brooks was cited as a reference at a Catholic Grade School.

I taught the Catholic Bible School thing (to "the publics") for about 5 years (in recent decades called Parish School of Religion...PSR). I always taught 7th grade. At times, I would wonder whether I was accomplishing anything and, at times like that, I would consider showing them The Life of Brian...

Back in my "yute", The Carpenters were WAY too square to be popular with my demographic. Age mellows one and, of course, she (and her brother) are/were terrific. Similar thoughts about Glen Campbell...and The Beach Boys.

Back in my "yute", The Carpenters were WAY too square to be popular with my demographic. Age mellows one and, of course, she (and her brother) are/were terrific. Similar thoughts about Glen Campbell...and The Beach Boys.
I got into them as a young kid, my 1st album I ever owned was the one with Rainy Days on Mondays, Superstar and For All We Know. Something about that voice, even as a kid, just grabbed me. I have to admit was not a huge fan of Richard's arrangements or the dopey TV shows they use to do but they were legit musicians and Karen was a heck of a drummer too. I reconnected with them again in college when Karen died. A jazz teacher played some songs in a class a friend was taking and everyone kind of snickered, he then went on to explain the power of tone to impart emotion and how the great jazz singers used it to powerful results. Friend ended up going off the deep end and played their tunes constantly for a semester.

In the '90s they really gained a new audience when Sonic Youth put out the tribute album "If I was a Carpenter"

I think the Carpenters always had a big problem with how to present themselves due to being brother and sister. You see it in their TV specials, etc. Their tunes were frequently about romance and they were siblings...

I started History of the World Part II last night. I got 10-15 minutes into the first episode and after not laughing once turned it off.
Keep it off. Youre not missing anything.
I finished Part 2 merely because i absolutely loved Part 1. I expected very little of part 2 based on the previews. There were some individual chuckles here and there but obviously not on Part 1's level. To me Part 2 relied too much on breaking the 4th wall and trying to incorporate 21st century technology for historical purposes. For example Galileo on Tik Tok. In Part 1 Le Garcon de Piss asking for novacaine worked well because Mel didnt beat you over the head with those types of jokes.

I'm a bit behind the times, LOL I just finished "Band of Brothers". This was excellent! The whole series was well done. There was one scene in Episode 4 that reminded me of a story my dad told. He was a tank driver in WWII in Europe and he once told the story about when they drove into a town they liberated, the townspeople stoned a woman to death in the town square. They were ordered not to intervene. The woman was stoned to death because she was a Nazi Sympathizer who slept with the Germans when they had occupied the town.
He called the SHERMAN a 'TANK'? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Most reports I've ever heard from armored crews in WWII was, that they Called Shermans', RONSONS. Because they LIT FIRST TIME, EVERY TIME, when hit by German armor. The USA, bless their lil hearts, decided to make 20,000 cheaply built RONSON's, rather than ANY REAL tanks, to fight the Germans. The theory was, to sacrifice as many Ronsons as it took, to run all the fuel out of the German war machine. Sherman crews were EXPENDABLE!

And WHY were you surprised about the behavior of the local girl who was invaded? It's the same today around the world. Girls use what they have to survive. I once witnessed a ten-year-old boy, selling his sister for a candy bar and a pack of smokes.