What are you watching?

Timeless: Season one. Time machine, bad guys and good guys are greyish. Never picked up a big following so I know I'm only getting two seasons. Enjoyable characters, harmless fun and some interesting perspectives of key historical points. It's a Kripke project so even get a Toledo setting in one episode.

I just finished episode 48 of the tv series Combat! I have been watching them all, in order, for almost a year. The best military based TV show in history (yes, even better than M*A*S*H). The most recently watched episode "Gideon's Army" was especially poignant. The squad comes across a concentration camp with sick and dying prisoners. They do not say it (referring to them as "Polish") but clearly, from the background music and other characteristics, these people are clearly Jews and this is a "labor camp" which is a "death camp". Vic Morrows, who played SGT Saunders being Jewish himself made that all the more emotional.

Great series. I highly recommend it to any of you younger folks you are not aware of it.

They seek him here, they seek him there,
Those Frenchies seek him everywhere.
Is he in Heaven? Is he in Hell?
That damned, elusive ......

:>---

EGA

Timeless: Season one. Time machine, bad guys and good guys are greyish. Never picked up a big following so I know I'm only getting two seasons. Enjoyable characters, harmless fun and some interesting perspectives of key historical points. It's a Kripke project so even get a Toledo setting in one episode.

FInished. Really a shame this didn't catch on and they had to wrap it up but I thought they did so brilliantly, emotionally and credibly. Kept me guessing wrong, characters were charismatic and enjoyable. There's the occasional little lady holding off the big badazz but if you're the type not bothered by that, it's well worth the time.

Worth a look... Thursday 9:00 P.M.~ PBS

Foyle's War

Detective Chief Superintendent Christopher Foyle (Michael Kitchen), a widower, is quiet, methodical, sagacious, scrupulously honest and frequently underestimated by his foes.

-The German Woman -

The series begins in May 1940, a time when local German aliens are being interned, the bombing of England has commenced, and anti-German feelings are running high. Meanwhile, Detective Chief Superintendent Christopher Foyle's request for a service transfer is again denied, and he returns to local police work in Hastings, on the south-east coast of England. Since he does not have a driving licence, he is assigned a driver by the name of Sam Stewart—who, to his surprise, turns out to be a young woman from the Mechanised Transport Corps. Investigating the vicious murder by near-decapitation of the local magistrate's wife, who is, in fact, a Sudeten German, Foyle finds corruption (specifically a scheme to keep eligible men from being drafted into military service) and other forms of collusion taking place.[1][2] Much of the case centres on a local pub, and the case ends with an arrest of a cryptographer at the Admiralty who had developed a relationship with the dead woman. During this time Foyle also often visits Paul Milner, a former policeman whose lower left leg was amputated while serving in the army, and finally encourages him to become his assistant.

SALT

I just finished episode 48 of the tv series Combat! I have been watching them all, in order, for almost a year. The best military based TV show in history (yes, even better than M*A*S*H). The most recently watched episode "Gideon's Army" was especially poignant. The squad comes across a concentration camp with sick and dying prisoners. They do not say it (referring to them as "Polish") but clearly, from the background music and other characteristics, these people are clearly Jews and this is a "labor camp" which is a "death camp". Vic Morrows, who played SGT Saunders being Jewish himself made that all the more emotional.

Great series. I highly recommend it to any of you younger folks you are not aware of it.

This winter may just be a good time to check this out. Back in the day, I doubt I paid much attention to the themes. Just the bang, bang.

I do remember it seeming strange that none of the regular characters got killed throughout the series, but afterwards came to understand that.

I remember the Captain, the Sergeant and, I believe, a black (Ivan Dixon?), an Englishman (Richard Dawson?), and a Frenchman (Cage?). Others?

I found this mix of nationalities also strange (if in fact I am remembering correctly), but get it now.

Same with the small number in the squad - disregarding the "one episode" guys (rip) - which may not have been so unusual at times.

MASH - I loved it for the humor, but now recognize the good/bad (take your pick) underlying theme. [War is horrific, yet sometimes necessary - or, not.]

That said, the TV series was much more palatable - regardless of which team (Pierce or Burns) one rooted for - than the movie.

Last edited:
I remember the Captain, the Sergeant and, I believe, a black (Ivan Dixon?), an Englishman (Richard Dawson?), and a Frenchman (Cage?). Others?

I found this mix of nationalities also strange (if in fact I am remembering correctly), but get it now.

You are mixing Combat! with Hogan's Heroes.

Paradise Lost Documentary series on HBO Max. Frankly, it’s more intriguing in many ways than Making a Murderer, but some of the footage really can make you sick if you’re not prepared (naked bodies of dead kids with their genitals cutoff). The doc is biased towards the defendants, so you want to do outside research. Even after that, I still can’t determine if they’re guilty or not.

***** --- Jeopardy --- *****

Friday (today) 01/08/2021 7-PM on most markets

Will air Alex's last hosting!!!

SALT

Space: mini series based on a Michiner novel. Unfortunately a bad youtube copy with lousy audio and Swedish subttles. Can't find better.

Today is Rod Taylor day on Turner Classic Movies (TCM)

At 10:30 AM they will be showing Hotel (1967)

I like the art work in the opening credits...

SALT

Last edited:
Today is Rod Taylor day on Turner Classic Movies (TCM)

At 10:30 AM they will be showing Hotel (1967)

I like the art work in the opening credits...

SALT
Picked this up from the library during a power outage, but did not get to see it. Maybe TCM will run it again. Danke.