What are you watching?

I seem to be hogging the thread. After watching a couple of hours of the SEC Network and their Christmas show, now we're watching LHN and Bevo being pampered.

Last night was watching the Raleigh Ringers bell choir from Raleigh NC on PBS. That was very, very cool. I love seeing orchestral Christmas music performed live, both choirs and instrumental.

Been looking for a DirecTV channel that will show just a festive fireplace all day on one of their lower-tier channels all Christmas Day, but no luck. Time Warner cable spoiled us one year by doing that. Last year my wife got hooked on a DTV channel showing a fireplace in the background, and kittens and puppies frolicking on a fluffy blanket with wrapped presents as an obstacle course. Not sure if they're doing it this year, either.

Dish has a channel with a "Classic Yule Log" and another with a "Modern Yule Log" scene. Different fireplaces is the difference. They also have a channel with just a winter scene. Got to say though that Bevo is a handsome animal.

After watching replays of Oregon vs FSU and Ohio State vs Alabama in the CFP 2015, I'm in the 3rd quarter of the national championship game. 21 to 17 Ohio State at the 9 minute mark.

Last edited:
"The Powers Of Matthew Star" - 1982-83 series with Peter Barton and Louis Gossett Jr.

Ouch. Now I remember why I didn't want to watch this when it was first broadcast, it's pretty bad. In this episode, Matthew is vieing for the starting QB job on the high school football team. Why is it when there's a football game in a movie or a TV show, they always have the PA announcer doing play-by-play and analysis over the loudspeakers? :eek:

Casablanca once again.

PS: Rick never says "Play it again, Sam."
He says: "You played it for her, you can play it for me. If she can stand it, I can. Play it!"

AFI's 100 move quote selections...
_5: "Here's looking at you, kid."
20: "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
28: "Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By'."
32: "Round up the usual suspects."
43: "We'll always have Paris."
67: "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."

also nominated: "Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world."

All the featured players in the film who get screen credit, only 3 were born in the United States:
Humphrey Bogart (Rick) / Dooley Wilson (Sam) / Joy Page (Annina Brandel, the young Bulgarian refugee)

:>---

SALT

Last year's Fiesta Bowl OSU vs Clemson on the ACC channel. The way Ohio State was physically dominating in the first half until the refs kicked out Sean Wade, was a thing of beauty. Don't think I can watch past that point.

Last year's Fiesta Bowl OSU vs Clemson on the ACC channel. The way Ohio State was physically dominating in the first half until the refs kicked out Sean Wade, was a thing of beauty. Don't think I can watch past that point.
I'm glad I had to work the night of the game. Didn't bother to set the DVR that night. Between that play and the phantom incomplete pass, I would have been in a bad mood for a week. :cool:

All the featured players in (Casablanca) who get screen credit, only 3 were born in the United States:
Read an interesting book last year on the making of Casablanca, it said that fact was crucial to the believeability of the supporting characters. In real life, many of them had already fled Europe during the previous decade for the same reasons as the people they portrayed, using their family jewelry and precious stones to barter their way to America.

Read an interesting book last year on the making of Casablanca, it said that fact was crucial to the believeability of the supporting characters. In real life, many of them had already fled Europe during the previous decade for the same reasons as the people they portrayed, using their family jewelry and precious stones to barter their way to America.

All the featured players in the film who got screen credit, only 3 were born in the United States:
Humphrey Bogart (Rick) / Dooley Wilson (Sam) / Joy Page (Annina Brandel, the young Bulgarian refugee)

Major roles ~ Screen credited

Humphrey Bogart : New York, New York
Dooley Wilson : Tyler, Texas
Joy Paige (wife of roulette player) : Los Angeles, California
Ingrid Bergman : Sweden
Paul Hernried : Trieste, Austria-Hungary
~ full name = Paul Georg Julius Freiherr von Hernried Ritter von Wasel-Waldingau
Claude Rains : London, England
Conrad Veidt : Berlin, Germany
~ full name = Hans Walter Conrad Veidt
Sydney Greenstreet : Kent, England
Peter Lorre : Rózsahegy, Kingdom of Hungary (now Ružomberok, Slovakia)
~ nee = László Löwenstein
Madeleine Lebeau (Yvonne) * : Antony, France

Appearing roles / Uncredited

Marcel Dalio (roulette croupier) * : Paris, France
~ * actual husband & wife **
Curt Bois (pickpocket) : Berlin, Germany
Gerald Oliver Smith (Englishman pickpocket victim) : Kent, England
Norma Varden (Englishwoman wife of pickpocket victim) : London, England
Leonid Kinskey (bartender) : St. Petersburg, Russia
John Qualen (Resistance contact) : Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
S. Z. Sakall (Carl - waiter) : Budapest, Austria-Hungary
Helmut Dantine (roulette player) : Vienna, Austria
Gregory Gaye (German banker / refused entry by Rick) : St. Petersburg, Russia
Torben Meyer (Dutch banker) : Copenhagen, Denmark
Corinna Mura (female guitarist) : Mexico City, Mexico
Frank Puglia (rug merchant) : Linguaglossa, Sicily, Italy
Richard Ryen (Col. Heinze, Strasser's aide) : Főherczeglak, Hungary (today Kneževo, Croatia)
Dan Seymour (Abdul the doorman) Chicago, Ill.

** Close to the premise of the film (life is stranger than fiction)... wikipedia...
Dalio and Lebeau left Paris ahead of the invading Germans army, the couple traveled on
transit visas thru Spain to Lisbon, Portugal.
It took them two months to get visas to Chile. Their voyage on the S.S. Quanza, stopped
in Mexico, and stranded with 200+/- other passengers (the Chilean visas turned out to
be forgeries). Via temporary Canadian passports they entered the United States.
All other members of Dalio's family died in Nazi concentration camps.

SALT

Last edited:
Well I think it’s more of a chick series but it’s interesting, not afraid to admit lol. I got hooked. Finished the first season in less then a week.
No need to be afraid, as I binged this as well. It was an interesting watch for sure. (y)

PBS: American Masters - Mae West: Dirty Blonde

"Westisms" ...

“When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before.”

“A figure with curves offers a lot of interesting angles.”

“- Jack Clayton: You were wonderful tonight.
West as Tira: Yeah, I'm always wonderful at night.”

“Listen, when women go wrong, men go right after them.”

“You know, it was a toss up whether I go in for diamonds or sing in the choir. The choir lost.”

“Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?”

“- Jack Clayton: Tonight, you were especially good.
West as Tira:: Well, when I'm good, I'm very good. But, when I'm bad... I'm better!”

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."

"I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it."

"Men are like linoleum floors. Lay 'em right and you can walk all over them for years."

"I consider sex a misdemeanor, the more I miss, de meaner I get."

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful."

"Ten men waiting for me at the door? Send one of them home, I'm tired."

SALT

The Wilds

We just finished it. It was interesting. I liked it outside of the teen angst stuff. I like shows that are layered and not quite what they appear to be on the surface. I also enjoyed the non linear story telling ala Lost.

There was one part I didn’t care for but can’t really talk about that without spoiling anything. The season 2 tease may fix that though.

Last edited:
M*A*S*H season 9 episode 6 A War For All Seasons

"Here's to the new year. May she be a damn sight better than the old one." - Col. Sherman T. Potter.

Amen.

NHL Tonight.
Waiting for the United States vs Sweden game at the IIHF World Junior Championship.
The United States won. The player of the game for each team was announced and the national anthem of the United States was played. As the music started my clock ticked over to 2021. Does this bode well for the United States in the coming year?