What are you watching?

Always a good time to start Band of Brothers. Tried to get through the Pacific version and just couldn't.

Finished Netflix' Away. An IMDB reviewer described it as 90210 in space. Probably about right. Space and Mars were just a setting for some occasionally good social and relationship commentary.

We just finished 'Away' and really enjoyed it. Yes, there was a little too much drama with the teenage daughter, but I thought they did that to show the impact on the lead astronaut character. Very well crafted show, in my opinion. Good mix of humor, a few tears, and social commentary, as you stated. Nice choices of music also, and the space shots were visually excellent.

We just finished 'Away' and really enjoyed it. Yes, there was a little too much drama with the teenage daughter, but I thought they did that to show the impact on the lead astronaut character. Very well crafted show, in my opinion. Good mix of humor, a few tears, and social commentary, as you stated. Nice choices of music also, and the space shots were visually excellent.

actually, I think the reviewer was referring to the adults. Realistically, I think there's gonna be soap opera in a year long trip, home and in space. The show could have done without it but I enjoyed the inclusion for example of Nieto. He was an Eastern Mich jumper who had an accident. Recovery an important theme of the show that really didn't have to be there but was appreciated by me.

Last edited:
Damn, as I sit here making my way through BoB I am again amazed by what those guys went through. They are truly our greatest generation.

just finished Marshall. Somehow the first time I saw this it wasn't with my Wife (that will be a discussion later tonight), watching this time with her she pointed out a couple of things I hadn't noticed, such as Trayvon Martin's parents getting a cameo at the end. Another thing I thought watching this is this would make a great weekly drama tv show, him traveling around the country taking cases of the unfairly targeted.

Combat! based on talk in the "First Show" thread. Did they not have subtitles back in the day? This thing is taxing my couple semesters of German and French.

Finished the new episode. Ironic how the most disturbing part of the episode had nothing to do with the intense gore or violence in this show.

I kind of like the fact this series is now releasing new episodes weekly, keeps me from binging and so the smaller nuanced aspects are not just brushed over since it doesn't move the plot along. Things like the Deep not getting to choose the hot nympho, in binge watching that might not have the same impact as it did as a stand alone episode.

I kind of like the fact this series is now releasing new episodes weekly, keeps me from binging and so the smaller nuanced aspects are not just brushed over since it doesn't move the plot along. Things like the Deep not getting to choose the hot nympho, in binge watching that might not have the same impact as it did as a stand alone episode.
I like that not so subtle jab at Scientology & Tom Cruise. Apparently, that’s how they picked out Katie Holmes to be his wife,

I like that not so subtle jab at Scientology & Tom Cruise. Apparently, that’s how they picked out Katie Holmes to be his wife,

That is the Hollywood rumor. Also, bonus points for another Breaking Bad talent making an appearance.

Finished the new episode. Ironic how the most disturbing part of the episode had nothing to do with the intense gore or violence in this show.
It's funny you mentioned the gore, that's why I only made it about 15 minutes into the first episode and never went back, guess I'm a true wimp.

It's funny you mentioned the gore, that's why I only made it about 15 minutes into the first episode and never went back, guess I'm a true wimp.
Maybe bc it’s so over the top at times, it doesn’t register as much as “real” violence. For me, one of the most stomach twisting scenes in all of tv was in Deadwood when a guy got his eye gouged out. That’s something that can actually happen, so it makes me queasy. On the other hand, nobody is ever going to have their face melted off by eye lasers or their head crushed going down on a chick.

Maybe bc it’s so over the top at times, it doesn’t register as much as “real” violence. For me, one of the most stomach twisting scenes in all of tv was in Deadwood when a guy got his eye gouged out. That’s something that can actually happen, so it makes me queasy. On the other hand, nobody is ever going to have their face melted off by eye lasers or their head crushed going down on a chick.

Many Hollywood stuntmen consider that the all time best choreographed fight scene ever captured on film. The guy that played the Captain Turner, Alan Graf, is considered one of the best in the business and he vetoed the original script as to how the fight would be mapped out. He wanted to play it straight, like how a real fight to the death would be between two hired enforcers. Here is a breakdown of the scene from a stuntman>

"Minahan still shoots the hell out of the sequence. (I’ve always been particularly fond of the editing of the build-up to it, with Dan and Turner sizing each other up on their respective porches, always shown in parallel until the wagon rolls between them, acting as an unintentional prompt for the fighting to commence.) But the fact that these two middle-aged men are short of breath within moments of starting makes the combat seem far more intense and horrifying than if Brown and Graff were uncorking haymakers and flips and whatever other elaborate moves were originally planned. This is not a fancy cowboy movie fight. This is two old, hard killers digging down deep for every last scrap of energy, every last dirty trick, to stay alive long enough to get the advantage of the other one. And because it’s so simple, and so exhausting, the little moments in the fight become hugely magnified. Obviously, the one that sticks with you is when Dan just happens to pluck Captain Turner’s eye right out of the socket, but consider the sequence leading up to it. Despite our history with Dan, Turner sure seems to have the advantage on him in terms of strength and skill, and the fight could have been over much sooner if Hearst had been quicker to nod his approval for Turner to deliver the killing blow. That the nod is even necessary calls back to the earlier scene where Hearst tells his man to drag out the fight as an object lesson to the camp. That Hearst doesn’t give the nod, though, seems less about warning the hoopleheads about what will happen if they cross him than it does about his confusion that the fight is so close in the first place. Neither Hearst nor Turner were expecting Dan to put up as much fight as he did, and so an uncertain Hearst waits too long, which gives Dan just enough time to escape the latest hold and crawl away. And what’s so amazing about the final version of the fight choreography is that this isn’t the moment when Turner’s eye comes out. Instead, Dan gains only a moment’s respite before he’s getting his skull banged against a brick, but he’s also in a position where he can reach out in the desperate hope of finding some weak spot to yank on. And when the roles reverse, Al doesn’t hesitate a second before giving Dan the smallest of nods to make sure this ends now. Dan doesn’t win because he’s better; he wins because of luck, and tenacity, and because his boss didn’t screw around when the time came to nod. It’s that simple."

I wish Deadwood made it to 5 seasons...

Many Hollywood stuntmen consider that the all time best choreographed fight scene ever captured on film. The guy that played the Captain Turner, Alan Graf, is considered one of the best in the business and he vetoed the original script as to how the fight would be mapped out. He wanted to play it straight, like how a real fight to the death would be between two hired enforcers. Here is a breakdown of the scene from a stuntman>

"Minahan still shoots the hell out of the sequence. (I’ve always been particularly fond of the editing of the build-up to it, with Dan and Turner sizing each other up on their respective porches, always shown in parallel until the wagon rolls between them, acting as an unintentional prompt for the fighting to commence.) But the fact that these two middle-aged men are short of breath within moments of starting makes the combat seem far more intense and horrifying than if Brown and Graff were uncorking haymakers and flips and whatever other elaborate moves were originally planned. This is not a fancy cowboy movie fight. This is two old, hard killers digging down deep for every last scrap of energy, every last dirty trick, to stay alive long enough to get the advantage of the other one. And because it’s so simple, and so exhausting, the little moments in the fight become hugely magnified. Obviously, the one that sticks with you is when Dan just happens to pluck Captain Turner’s eye right out of the socket, but consider the sequence leading up to it. Despite our history with Dan, Turner sure seems to have the advantage on him in terms of strength and skill, and the fight could have been over much sooner if Hearst had been quicker to nod his approval for Turner to deliver the killing blow. That the nod is even necessary calls back to the earlier scene where Hearst tells his man to drag out the fight as an object lesson to the camp. That Hearst doesn’t give the nod, though, seems less about warning the hoopleheads about what will happen if they cross him than it does about his confusion that the fight is so close in the first place. Neither Hearst nor Turner were expecting Dan to put up as much fight as he did, and so an uncertain Hearst waits too long, which gives Dan just enough time to escape the latest hold and crawl away. And what’s so amazing about the final version of the fight choreography is that this isn’t the moment when Turner’s eye comes out. Instead, Dan gains only a moment’s respite before he’s getting his skull banged against a brick, but he’s also in a position where he can reach out in the desperate hope of finding some weak spot to yank on. And when the roles reverse, Al doesn’t hesitate a second before giving Dan the smallest of nods to make sure this ends now. Dan doesn’t win because he’s better; he wins because of luck, and tenacity, and because his boss didn’t screw around when the time came to nod. It’s that simple."

I wish Deadwood made it to 5 seasons...

What really sold that scene was how he cried out in pure agony. It sends chills down your spine bc it’s something that can happen to you. It doesn’t have to be a fight, people lose eyes in simple accidents all the time. The only thing that would’ve made the scene better was seeing Turner’s head caved in.

Fun fact, if you ever wondered how a guy that size could move so well, Alan Graff was also a starting OG on USC team that won the Rose Bowl.

Last edited:
The Man with the Golden Arm
220px-The_Man_with_the_Golden_Arm_poster.jpg

Frank Sinatra / Kim Novak (oh-la-la)
with: Eleanor Parker / Arnold Stang / Darren McGavin / Robert Strauss

Director: Otto Preminger
Music: Elmer Bernstein
~~~"one of the finest jazz soundtracks to come out of the '50s"
Titles: Saul Bass

:>---

one of the few

Sergeant York, one of my favorite war movies. The VA hospital in murfreesboro TN is named after him.

The ride into Paris on the last day of the Tour de France. A lot of new/unknown riders this year. A 21 year old from Slovenia, Tadej Pogacar , will be the winner. In addition to the yellow jersey, he will have the white jersey for best young rider, 22 tomorrow, and the polka dot jersey for King of the Mountains.

The ride into Paris on the last day of the Tour de France. A lot of new/unknown riders this year. A 21 year old from Slovenia, Tadej Pogacar , will be the winner. In addition to the yellow jersey, he will have the white jersey for best young rider, 22 tomorrow, and the polka dot jersey for King of the Mountains.
Three of the four individual jerseys. That's a pretty impressive sweep. I wonder if that's ever been done? The only one left is the green jersey for points awarded to sprinters.

That, I believe the announcer said, is the first time. Sagan didn't retain the green jersey this year. He has won it 7 times the last few years.

Last edited:
Ratched on NFLX. It’s ok, typical Ryan Murphy shtick with lots of violence and gay themes.