What Are You Doing, #60

IPA's are awful, but thankfully a lot of the American breweries are getting better and now make some pretty damn good helles lagers and hefeweizens. Yuengling actually made an awesome weizen but they discontinued it for some reason.
In general my rankings are as follows

IPA

General Ales

Light Lager

Amber Lagers
Hefeweizen

Stout
Porter

(And I realize there’s many more types than this)

I have nearly stopped drinking beer all together. Pretty much just wine and liquor now. Just don't enjoy beer as much as I used to. 3Points down in Pendleton/OTR has some really good beers I enjoy though.

Outside of little kings and whatever before college and pitchers of whatever during college, I've never been a social beer drinker. But almost always will order when out to eat "fancy." Usually a sampler if they have.

I have nearly stopped drinking beer all together. Pretty much just wine and liquor now. Just don't enjoy beer as much as I used to. 3Points down in Pendleton/OTR has some really good beers I enjoy though.

I drink maybe 1-2 beers a week now (mostly an IPA or a heavy stout). I rarely drink any other alcohol.

Eating a green onion and came across some clear gel-like substance inside the stalk that basically had look/texture of the gel inside Aloe Vera leaf. Anyone seen this? It was very small amount in only small part of stalk...

Eating a green onion and came across some clear gel-like substance inside the stalk that basically had look/texture of the gel inside Aloe Vera leaf. Anyone seen this? It was very small amount in only small part of stalk...

I have no experience, but our friend google provided this:

Are green onions supposed to be slimy?

it's essentially just the sap of the plant. Totally harmless, tastes quite nice. Green onions "weep" where they're cut, which is why chopped green onions get a little slimy if you leave them on the counter for awhile.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cooking/comments/iyo9u/green_onion_gel/

I let a few weed-like plants grow this spring to see how tall they would get before they produced seed (time to cut down and dispose of). Why? The damn things were growing like crazy and I was curious!

They got about five feet tall and when I cut them down in segments, I noticed similar "sap" oozing out of the hollow stems.

Of course, this is not the first time I have seen plants do this, but it is pretty cool in a geeky kind of way. :p

"verrrry interesting..." Arthur Stanton Eric Johnson Artie Johnson dead @ 90

Laugh-In...

with guest James Garner

Let's see...I need...

A long black coat
A black cane
White scarf (Ascot?)
White gloves
and a Homburg hat...

:>---

SF

Last edited:
????:shrug:

Tragic, young. Lorenzon was from Covington, which would make it news particularly to Cinci types. Time flies. Seems like only a few years ago he was news for being a bit.. fluffy.

You're right that was uncalled for.

The Hefty Lefty will be missed...

I believe they call this "mucilage", similar to the slime in an okra. Good for you, although may be disgusting for some.

I find IPA beers too "hoppie" for my taste. Living in Arizona, I tend to drink Mexican beers.
Negra Modelo and Bohemia are excellent beers. And Dos Equis is probably my favorite budget beer. Most of the Mexican breweries were founded by German immigrants so that explains their excellent taste :D

Birthday today ~ the Bikini

July 5th: The bikini goes on sale to the general public (1946)

Not the first 2-piece female bathing suit but but the fist to give us a view of the navel
and little to the imagination when comes to the breasts, buttocks and pelvis region.
Men haven't been the same since.

So if you are at the pool, park, or beach this week end and enjoying the view;
toast 1 to French designer Louis Réard.

The suit was named after Bikini Atoll which was the site of recent (1946)
nuclear bomb tests.

SALT

Last edited:
nice vintage stuff^, 'pup

I found this while looking for a wing-nut gif. Too funny not to drop somewhere -

e292fb67e969e8cb7a56646ca7f8e5f0--lol-lol-lol-hee-haw.jpg

choad :laugh:

Last edited:
Has anyone been to Phoenix recently?

I'm going in late August to meet a few friends for a 4-5 days and I think I'll be staying in Scottsdale.

Any recs on things to do? Best Mexican places to eat at? Was thinking Diamondbacks game, hiking Camelback/South Mountain, and then just regular shenanigans in Scottsdale/Tempe.

Not sure if a day trip to Vegas and back would be possible as well. Already saw the Grand Canyon as a teen so not crazy gung ho on another trip there.

Saw on the NEWS this A.M. ....

Denise Nickerson died 7/10 age 62

WHO?

played Violet Beauregarde ~ Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory

EGA

Last edited:
I always get a laugh when I buy cleaning products at the dollar store then drive across the street to buy steak from healthy grocery store.

Completely different demographics between two. The venn diagram of people shppping at each is basically just me in the middle.

$1 glass cleaner & $10 ribeye :shrug:

I've got 3 hours to kill until my connecting flight to Okinawa..

Watching Double Jeopardy; Ashley never looked better.

SF

Got back yesterday from my fiancee's old family home in Maine. Built in 1889 it's been passed down to the family. No running water, no electricity, no cell signal. It's always nice to get away from the world for a few days.