What are these school districts thinking?

The idea of getting a tax rebate for your district being shuttered due to COVID is asinine.

Off of the districts that I'm most familiar with, the typical COVID school district financial scenario had the school saving money on facilities operations in the spring, only to lose an equal or greater amount in state budget cuts. Preparations for the fall look like making additional spending on equipment to enact social distancing expectations (if they got CARES funding, a nice chunk of that is going here). Schools are looking into making additional investments in the event that get bumped entirely online again.

Most districts that have been financially tight are going to be reeling come next spring, especially if their locally funding mix includes an income tax.

Why? If they're not delivering the total education experience that people are paying for why shouldn't they refund or cut our taxes? To not reopen schools is a CHOICE in which protecting adults takes precedent over doing what's best for the kids.

And I get why they're doing it. But they're no longer delivering on their mandate to provide a comprehensive education to the kids. I don't care about the reasons, I paid for a service and I'm not getting it. It's that simple.

Levies were easy to pass? The country just saw its worst economic numbers in history and things aren't getting better.

I get it, you are very passionate about reopening schools. Everyone wants schools opened. But it has to be done safely following protocols. Schools are not babysitters, they are places to learn. The superintendent and school boards will make decisions based on best available information.

Schools are babysitters among other things they probably shouldn't have to do. It may not be right but it's where we're at TODAY. And many tax paying parents who have to go back to work are not going to take kindly to having to deal with their kids being home all day.

And schools should not be the place where a lot of kids get their only nutritious meal. But it is what it is TODAY. When you close the building there are real health repercussions for these kids.

And schools shouldn't be the place where sharp eyed teachers are depended on to notice abuse. But TODAY we've come to depend on this to head over disaster in the home.

As for "learning" it's BEST achieved when students are face to face with their teachers in the same location. If this isn't true then we don't need half the teachers out there do we? And I haven't even brought up labs.

Why? If they're not delivering the total education experience that people are paying for why shouldn't they refund or cut our taxes? To not reopen schools is a CHOICE in which protecting adults takes precedent over doing what's best for the kids.

And I get why they're doing it. But they're no longer delivering on their mandate to provide a comprehensive education to the kids. I don't care about the reasons, I paid for a service and I'm not getting it. It's that simple.
Would a hybrid learning environment work? For schools to think they can go back to maximum capacity is irrational at this time if we care about safety. The hybrid plans schools have proposed seem the most safe for all involved as it allows for social distancing.

That’s not what I said. One of my coaches was very influential in my life, but that’s because I chose to be influenced for more than one season and most importantly He went the extra mile (or two miles in my case) and for that I’ll always be thankful. So I’m certainly not downplaying the influence of Coaches, Teachers, Mentors etc. but a person has to have a born in something (drive, commitment, Pride , ego or whatever you want to call it) so that He and only He makes the hard choices.
I understand and I agree.

So, now all of a sudden we are all concerned about these at risk kids and these under funded and under resourced schools?! Comforting to know that problem is solved and as soon as the economy bounces back all those shortcomings will be a thing of the past. We are all in agreement then. That's really good.

So now after beating us over the head for the last 50 years about these poor disadvantaged kids you guys no longer care about them? You'll abandon them to their fate until it's safe for EVERY teacher to return?

I'm a conservative and Trump voter yet I always believed in supporting public education. I voted for every levy in my community and think we should be spending more money on education. I also believed teachers were underpaid for the critical job they did. The covid outbreak is changing my views by the day on this in no small part due to the hypocrisy of so many in public education on this issue.

Would a hybrid learning environment work? For schools to think they can go back to maximum capacity is irrational at this time if we care about safety. The hybrid plans schools have proposed seem the most safe for all involved as it allows for social distancing.

A hybrid approach is better then completely shutting down the schools but is still not the best approach.

When you sat "safety" whose safety do you mean? We've already reopened much of society and for the vast majority it's safe to go about their business. Fortunately the covid outbreak does not target kids. We know who is at risk. I believe that a safe environment for the kids and teachers can be achieved with a full reopening if some levels of mitigation are adopted.

There is no good solution to this. Every approach has it's pluses and minuses. The goal should not be to reduce the risk to near zero as that is not possible. The goal should be to adopt a plan of action that does the least amount of harm to the most people.

IMO this would be fully reopening the schools, including the extracurricular activities. And I fully realize that this would not be a cost free action just that it would be the least destructive. What bugs me is that so many people don't seem to acknowledge the real damage done if we don't fully reopen.

Again, it is costing MORE to do the remote/online learning. Why would you get a rebate for the school to spend more money?

I don't care if it costs them more money because they're making the CHOICE to tackle the covid outbreak in this manner.

Either completely close down or completely reopen. I favor reopening because I think the data supports that approach. But if you really believe that the covid is a threat to teachers, staff & students then only having the kids in school for 2 days a week will at best only delay the inevitable. That's how infectious diseases work.

And I'm amazed at the failure to appreciate the magnitude of collateral damage that will be done if the schools don't fully reopen.

Why would they issue rebates?! Will never understand where some of you think there’s going to be a clawback of your taxes because, wait for it... students weren’t in the building full-time?

If being in school in the same room with their teachers doesn't matter then I've been paying way to much to support my local school district.

If direct contact between outstanding teachers and our kids doesn't make a difference then we're paying our teachers to much.

If things like labs and hands on experiences don't matter then we're paying way to much for public education. We should reduce schooling to reading, writing and arithmetic.

If the extracurricular activities don't really matter then why are public schools spending money and resources to provide them? Who needs sports, art, music and the rest. Just teach the basics. No frills.

I wonder if some teachers and their unions are really thinking this through? They're showing hard working tax paying American's just how unimportant to their children teachers are. Or even worse they're showing tax payers that they can't count on public education to be there when needed.

If I was a teacher or teacher union boss I would be screaming from the mountain top how we must reopen the schools and get the kids back in. My focus would be on how to best protect those teachers most at risk including figuring out a way that paid leave could be made to work. Instead some of these folks are advocating for the destruction of their profession.

I would be exploiting a moment in time when teachers could be proving their value to their communities. Now is a unique opportunity for teachers to demonstrate their professional worth and increase their compensation. I would be curious to hear what current teachers think about this?

And yes, tax payers should be getting property tax refunds in those districts that are completely closing down. My guess is that some lawyers and judges will see it this way to.

I’ve been saying same thing.
Teachers have to be careful not to make themselves non-essential workers (which I don’t believe), but they need to be careful of this.
Remote learning is a weakly applied bandaid at best.
Most kids aren’t going to learn a darn thing outside the classroom (especially the elementary aged kids that have 2 working parents at home 5 days a week).
All I gather from this mess is that public schools are trying to make themselves non-essential. (And I’m not even referring to sports, just the educational piece).
My son played summer baseball and is now playing fall baseball outside the school system, so I can live with that.

Tell that to all the people that never had kids and pay school taxes or the elderly that have no kids in school that pay school taxes. They never asked for any refunds. It's not the teachers or schools fault we are living through a pandemic. The schools powers to be have a responsibility to keep the students and staff safe. That is goal number one. A SAFE learning environment. If that can not be met, everything else is second.

A hybrid approach is better then completely shutting down the schools but is still not the best approach.

When you sat "safety" whose safety do you mean? We've already reopened much of society and for the vast majority it's safe to go about their business. Fortunately the covid outbreak does not target kids. We know who is at risk. I believe that a safe environment for the kids and teachers can be achieved with a full reopening if some levels of mitigation are adopted.

There is no good solution to this. Every approach has it's pluses and minuses. The goal should not be to reduce the risk to near zero as that is not possible. The goal should be to adopt a plan of action that does the least amount of harm to the most people.

IMO this would be fully reopening the schools, including the extracurricular activities. And I fully realize that this would not be a cost free action just that it would be the least destructive. What bugs me is that so many people don't seem to acknowledge the real damage done if we don't fully reopen.
Opening up with all students is ideal but with how our country has handled the virus seems irresponsible. Hybrid is best option and that would allow sports to go on. Should schools mandate testing? Kids as you know are typically asymptomatic so fever checks does no good. I ran across this article today. It is not promising for schools going in person as kids 10 and above will pass it on to adults. Unfortunately our country has responded poorly to this pandemic.

Opening up with all students is ideal but with how our country has handled the virus seems irresponsible. Hybrid is best option and that would allow sports to go on. Should schools mandate testing? Kids as you know are typically asymptomatic so fever checks does no good. I ran across this article today. It is not promising for schools going in person as kids 10 and above will pass it on to adults. Unfortunately our country has responded poorly to this pandemic.

My takeaway from the Georgia camping case is that the young are not threatened by becoming infected. For the under 45 set who do not have multiple severe underlining health issues I think adopting the flu approach where we don't worry about it until symptoms appear is the most practical way to go.

It's true that the covid can be passed before symptoms are fully present but by focusing on symptoms and not on expensive testing, we can achieve an 80 for 20 solution. Which is probably better then masking.

While teens can infect others they do so less easily then adults passing it on to other adults.

I agree that a partial reopening is better then no reopening. But I would go for a complete reopening and depend on the under 45 year old teachers to carry the in person class load. Those over 50 and/or at special risk could provide lesson plan and grading support to the in class teachers.

Again EVERY solution has it's own unique set of problems. But the focus should be on the approach that does the least damage to the greatest number of people.

So now after beating us over the head for the last 50 years about these poor disadvantaged kids you guys no longer care about them? You'll abandon them to their fate until it's safe for EVERY teacher to return?

I'm a conservative and Trump voter yet I always believed in supporting public education. I voted for every levy in my community and think we should be spending more money on education. I also believed teachers were underpaid for the critical job they did. The covid outbreak is changing my views by the day on this in no small part due to the hypocrisy of so many in public education on this issue.
So what, now you won't vote for candidates that support public schools? That's how you are already voting. It's not teachers or public school people making decisions. Not a teacher out there doesn't want to teach. Teachers are as concerned about the kids they teach as they are about themselves. Do we really expect schools to be able to handle this better than every other part of our society?

Department of Education and the Secretary of Education don't seem to have put together a national plan. Ohio Department of Education doesn't seem to have put out a definitive plan. So now our local Board of Education and Superintendent have to shoulder the responsibility. Our School Board is not made up of epidemiologists, Childhood development PHD's and Psychics.

You know what is easy for a school to do? Open and have kids there Monday - Friday like they do every year. Not sure if it's realistic to expect the Cleveland Public School System to flawlessly deal with a world wide pandemic. Do you think that maybe the Federal government might have access to the worlds best experts and that maybe they should be flying this plane? I truly love and respect my neighbor Mrs. Hansen and she has done a great job for our community for the past 40 years, but she might need a little help with this one.

5 months this garbage has been going on. Teachers need to get it together all of a sudden. We voted people into very important positions to handle this stuff. They have failed miserably and now our disappointment and contempt is going to fall on Public school teachers. Seems fair.

Last edited:
Schools are babysitters among other things they probably shouldn't have to do. It may not be right but it's where we're at TODAY. And many tax paying parents who have to go back to work are not going to take kindly to having to deal with their kids being home all day.

And schools should not be the place where a lot of kids get their only nutritious meal. But it is what it is TODAY. When you close the building there are real health repercussions for these kids.

And schools shouldn't be the place where sharp eyed teachers are depended on to notice abuse. But TODAY we've come to depend on this to head over disaster in the home.

As for "learning" it's BEST achieved when students are face to face with their teachers in the same location. If this isn't true then we don't need half the teachers out there do we? And I haven't even brought up labs.
Sounds like you get way more services than the amount you pay in taxes.

Tell that to all the people that never had kids and pay school taxes or the elderly that have no kids in school that pay school taxes. They never asked for any refunds. It's not the teachers or schools fault we are living through a pandemic. The schools powers to be have a responsibility to keep the students and staff safe. That is goal number one. A SAFE learning environment. If that can not be met, everything else is second.

First off my kid gradated from public schooling 25 years ago and I've been happily paying school taxes for decades without a direct benefit. I am a staunch believer in supporting public education and I've supported it with far more then just my tax payments over the years.

It isn't the fault of anybody but perhaps the Chinese for the covid outbreak we're experiencing. But we do own the response and closing schools is a destructive approach to managing this crisis.

As for keeping the students safe the safest place they can be is in school. It's dishonest to portray the covid outbreak as representing a threat to the students. The numbers say otherwise and with an explanation point. We know who is at risk and relatively healthy people under 45 are at almost no risk. Healthy folks between 45 - 65 are at very low risk. These are the facts of the situation.

We could reopen safely if we choose to do so. That we don't is based on a number of factors but looking out for the safety of the children IS NOT ONE OF THEM.

As a retired teacher with many friends still teaching I can tell you teachers hated the remote learning that went on at the end of the last school year ... it was the administrators who tied the teachers hands about accountability for students ... it was basically nonexistent ... what and how it was taught was a joke .... I’m now being told that if the schools go remote this year ... things will change ... more accountability and more stringent content ... I hope so .... with that said, all my teacher friends still want some sort of face to face teaching with their students ... they still don’t feel like they can do as good a job remotely as they can in person ... but many still have concerns on the how ... I have read on here the criticism of teachers and why do they think they are different than other essential workers ... here is the biggest difference ... most of essential workers are not being asked to be in a small room with 15 to 20 other people for 40 to 45 minutes six or seven times a day ... without plexiglass ... they would still prefer to teach with some sort of in person lessons (hybrid or full time) ... and for the teachers unions ... they (in the district I use to teach) have agreed to wave several contractual agreements so in person teaching could happen ... without asking for anything in return ... I feel that teachers get a bad rap on here as selfish, greedy, and lazy people ... I could disagree more ... the vast majority (yes there are some bad apples) just want to do the best job educating their students possible ... and work extremely hard to insure that gets done.

So what, now you won't vote for candidates that support public schools? That's how you are already voting. It's not teachers or public school people making decisions. Not a teacher out there doesn't want to teach. Teachers are as concerned about the kids they teach as they are about themselves. Do we really expect schools to be able to handle this better than every other part of our society?

Department of Education and the Secretary of Education don't seem to have put together a national plan. Ohio Department of Education doesn't seem to have put out a definitive plan. So now our local Board of Education and Superintendent have to shoulder the responsibility. Our School Board is not made up of epidemiologists, Childhood development PHD's and Psychics.

You know what is easy for a school to do? Open and have kids there Monday - Friday like they do every year. Not sure if it's realistic to expect the Cleveland Public School System to flawlessly deal with a world wide pandemic. Do you think that maybe the Federal government might have access to the worlds best experts and that maybe they should be flying this plane? I truly love and respect my neighbor Mrs. Hansen and she has done a great job for our community for the past 40 years, but she might need a little help with this one.

5 months this garbage has been going on. Teachers need to get it together all of a sudden. We voted people into very important positions to handle this stuff. They have failed miserably and now our disappointment and contempt is going to fall on Public school teachers. Seems fair.

I would put my support of my local public school district up against yours any day of the week.

Why would you want a national approach to reopening? The differences between school systems within a region are immense and when you consider those differences across the country it's silly to attempt to treat this with a one size fits all approach.

And I don't believe that all teachers out there want to teach. It seems to me that a disturbingly large number don't.

As I've said repeatedly there is no "flawless" approach to dealing with the covid outbreak. The best we can do today is adopt approaches that will do the least damage to the least number of people. It sucks that this is all we're left with but it is what it is.

As a retired teacher with many friends still teaching I can tell you teachers hated the remote learning that went on at the end of the last school year ... it was the administrators who tied the teachers hands about accountability for students ... it was basically nonexistent ... what and how it was taught was a joke .... I’m now being told that if the schools go remote this year ... things will change ... more accountability and more stringent content ... I hope so .... with that said, all my teacher friends still want some sort of face to face teaching with their students ... they still don’t feel like they can do as good a job remotely as they can in person ... but many still have concerns on the how ... I have read on here the criticism of teachers and why do they think they are different than other essential workers ... here is the biggest difference ... most of essential workers are not being asked to be in a small room with 15 to 20 other people for 40 to 45 minutes six or seven times a day ... without plexiglass ... they would still prefer to teach with some sort of in person lessons (hybrid or full time) ... and for the teachers unions ... they (in the district I use to teach) have agreed to wave several contractual agreements so in person teaching could happen ... without asking for anything in return ... I feel that teachers get a bad rap on here as selfish, greedy, and lazy people ... I could disagree more ... the vast majority (yes there are some bad apples) just want to do the best job educating their students possible ... and work extremely hard to insure that gets done.

It's refreshing to hear this and I suspect your view represents the great majority of teachers out there. As for the administration and school boards - well the less said the better I guess.

First off my kid gradated from public schooling 25 years ago and I've been happily paying school taxes for decades without a direct benefit. I am a staunch believer in supporting public education and I've supported it with far more then just my tax payments over the years.

It isn't the fault of anybody but perhaps the Chinese for the covid outbreak we're experiencing. But we do own the response and closing schools is a destructive approach to managing this crisis.

As for keeping the students safe the safest place they can be is in school. It's dishonest to portray the covid outbreak as representing a threat to the students. The numbers say otherwise and with an explanation point. We know who is at risk and relatively healthy people under 45 are at almost no risk. Healthy folks between 45 - 65 are at very low risk. These are the facts of the situation.

We could reopen safely if we choose to do so. That we don't is based on a number of factors but looking out for the safety of the children IS NOT ONE OF THEM.
1. You were the one looking for a refund on your school taxes. 2. We will agree to disagree that opening schools is safe at this current state we are in. Everyone is at risk.

Sounds like you get way more services than the amount you pay in taxes.

That's what you took from my post?

I'm curious about why you want to keep the schools closed. I get GLAT he has legit safety concerns from a teachers perspective. But I don't get posters like you. You seem to be rooting for a complete disruption of society. Why is that?

My takeaway from the Georgia camping case is that the young are not threatened by becoming infected. For the under 45 set who do not have multiple severe underlining health issues I think adopting the flu approach where we don't worry about it until symptoms appear is the most practical way to go.

It's true that the covid can be passed before symptoms are fully present but by focusing on symptoms and not on expensive testing, we can achieve an 80 for 20 solution. Which is probably better then masking.

While teens can infect others they do so less easily then adults passing it on to other adults.

I agree that a partial reopening is better then no reopening. But I would go for a complete reopening and depend on the under 45 year old teachers to carry the in person class load. Those over 50 and/or at special risk could provide lesson plan and grading support to the in class teachers.

Again EVERY solution has it's own unique set of problems. But the focus should be on the approach that does the least damage to the greatest number of people.
I have yet to see a plan from schools where they go back safely with all students five days a week. I graduated from a school with around six hundred kids and cannot imagine social distancing with that amount of kids to ensure everyone’s safety being possible. Kids are the main focus but what about admin, bus drivers, teachers, custodians and food servers? You bring up a great idea of having those teachers at high risk being behind the scenes but who would teach there classes? My kids remote learning was terrible but chalked it up to schools not truly understanding it was going to last for the remainder of the year. Thankfully my wife and I are involved in our kids learning process so they were able to still make gains or at least we believe so. Too bad our country did not take it serious as others have and this discussion would be about who is getting in the playoffs or going to win a regional championship.

That's what you took from my post?

I'm curious about why you want to keep the schools closed. I get GLAT he has legit safety concerns from a teachers perspective. But I don't get posters like you. You seem to be rooting for a complete disruption of society. Why is that?
The school district i live in is on schedule to start the year with five day in person instruction largely supported by the staff,community and myself. You seem to have a tendency to paint the picture with a very broad brush. Saying people should get there tax money back if a school system decides it can't protect its staff and students is misguided. Ultimately we dont know enough about covid to make such absolute blanket definitive statements that you have been making since March. My position is and has always been that those making these tough calls are doing so with the best of intentions. Nobody wants to make these tough calls and I am not going to criticize those who do so you can see high school football or to require someone who feels unsafe to return to work.

I would put my support of my local public school district up against yours any day of the week.

Why would you want a national approach to reopening? The differences between school systems within a region are immense and when you consider those differences across the country it's silly to attempt to treat this with a one size fits all approach.

And I don't believe that all teachers out there want to teach. It seems to me that a disturbingly large number don't.

As I've said repeatedly there is no "flawless" approach to dealing with the covid outbreak. The best we can do today is adopt approaches that will do the least damage to the least number of people. It sucks that this is all we're left with but it is what it is.
A disturbingly large number? Where are you getting your numbers? What's considered a disturbingly large number? 1%? You really think they don't want to teach? Where is that coming from? The only thing I've seen even close to that is that teachers want to see the numbers go down just like the President put out there months ago as a guide to open up things again.

The Federal government / CDC / Department of Education etc...etc... etc... need to lead the way. Need to establish standards and guidelines. It's the local / County health departments that are making all the recommendations to shut things down. Are the schools now supposed to go against those recommendations? That's what you are getting with it being a local decision. School boards aren't going to go against the local /county health department.

The set up pitcher just blew a 10 run lead and you are blaming the hot dog vendor for not getting us back in the game.

Trust me, the vast majority do want to teach, they just can't because of all the legal and bureaucratic red tape out in place and fake "accountability and effectiveness" standards that prevent them from doing their jobs.

Kids are at zero risk. They need to be in school developing. I get it's more fun sittling on your a** at home doing nothing and getting paid. But it's time for all teachers to get out if they don't want to do their job. Someone out there wants to do it, let's give those folks have a shot. What a selfish bunch of do-nothings.

Trust me, the vast majority do want to teach, they just can't because of all the legal and bureaucratic red tape out in place and fake "accountability and effectiveness" standards that prevent them from doing their jobs.

I believe you. The ones that are more interested being democrats than teachers should move on.

I believe you. The ones that are more interested being democrats than teachers should move on.
WTF does political party have to do with anything?

The partisan bull crap is the reason our country is such a trainwreck right now. The whole point of a 2 party system is to compromise. The ? conservative way doesn't work and neither does the ? liberal. The answer is in between and that is where the VAST majority of Americans lie. The blame game and childish bull$h!t that our government regularly relies on is both embarrassing and solves nothing. Both parties suck, and suck bad, and if you blindly follow one you are part of the problem as you have been completely indoctrinated on flat out lies. If we get rid of lobbying/special interest groups and make every single office have term limits (you also can't be elected to different offices either), this mess would be fixed in no time. But simple common sense measures like that will never happen, we will simply keep blaming one party or the other for everything when we are to blame for putting the same hats in office for decades at a time.

WTF does political party have to do with anything?

The partisan bull crap is the reason our country is such a trainwreck right now. The whole point of a 2 party system is to compromise. The ? conservative way doesn't work and neither does the ? liberal. The answer is in between and that is where the VAST majority of Americans lie. The blame game and childish bull$h!t that our government regularly relies on is both embarrassing and solves nothing. Both parties suck, and suck bad, and if you blindly follow one you are part of the problem as you have been completely indoctrinated on flat out lies. If we get rid of lobbying/special interest groups and make every single office have term limits (you also can't be elected to different offices either), this mess would be fixed in no time. But simple common sense measures like that will never happen, we will simply keep blaming one party or the other for everything when we are to blame for putting the same hats in office for decades at a time.

sadly it has everything to do with it.

Kids are at zero risk. They need to be in school developing. I get it's more fun sittling on your a** at home doing nothing and getting paid. But it's time for all teachers to get out if they don't want to do their job. Someone out there wants to do it, let's give those folks have a shot. What a selfish bunch of do-nothings.
1. you are so WRONG about kids not being at risk.
2. And all the teachers I work with, miss our kids, and love our kids. That's why we do what we do. So your comment about "it's more fun sitting on our a** at home doing nothing is a joke and pathetic. And I can guarantee we weren't sitting at home doing nothing. That was not fun planning for virtual and not being face to face with the kids. And it was not doing nothing. You are obviously not a happy person or a jealous one. You need to find happiness and peace in your life somehow. Maybe counseling. Maybe God. People that are hurting, hurt others. I wish you luck in finding something that makes you happy in life versus bashing others that bust our a** for other people's children. Have a great day.

We pay property taxes for the service of educating our youth. Yes teachers are still doing this... but if they are not using the school/ busing etc. we should demand some money back or just withhold some % of payment as a protests.
Demand a accounting of the extra funds they should be accumulating, it is your duty!
Get mad, get vocal! Our government is supposed to serve the people, not be your master.