What are some of your favorite Cult Movies

MoeDude

LIVE FREE OR DIE!
These are movies that weren't real mainstream and may not have won any or few awards but were enjoyed by groups of people that saw the movie multiple times.
At the time I think Rocky Horror Picture Show would kind of fit into this category. Two of my favorites were:

Harold and Maude - 1971 classified as "dark comedy".
Groove Tube - 1974 This low-budget movie satirizes television and the counterculture of the early 1970s.

I wouldn't classify "Blues Brothers" as a cult movie, lol. Cheesy and lowbrow, perhaps, but that's as mainstream as it gets.

Cult movie? Think art theaters and midnight movies. I can't think of any I've seen to be favorites. They were different, but have no desire to see again. Some that I've seen:

A Boy And His Dog
Vampires In Havana
A Taxing Woman

I liked that one with Rowdy Roddy Piper, though I don't rewatch it a lot. The cult movies I rewatch the most are Blues Brothers :D and Mars Attacks. They're cult movies in my mind because they have cult following.

Late 80s friends and i watched a movie called th Disorderlies, that featured the group The Fat Boys. We musta watched it 20 times one summer!
Lol. I saw that one time in the theater. Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick with his shades. Didn't the Human Beatbox hot-wire a car with his feet or something?

Edit: I wasted my 3000th post on "The Disorderlies" ?!?!?

MoeDude,

Great topic, thanks for starting it. I'll add the following films :

Plan 9 From Outer Space
Reefer Madness
Rock N Roll High School
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Blue Velvet
This Is Spinal Tap
Freaks
Heathers
Rumblefish
Motel Hell
Howard The Duck
Fitzcarraldo
Where The Buffalo Roam
Office Space
Taxi Driver
Dr. Strangelove
Pink Flamingos
Barton Fink
Brazil
Night Of The Living Dead
Two Lane Blacktop
Sons Of The Desert
Pretty Poison
Blood Simple
Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls
The Wanderers
Slacker
Bad Day At Black Rock
Easy Rider
A Clockwork Orange
Five Easy Pieces
Blade Runner
Eraserhead
Kiss Me Deadly
Up In Smoke

I'll stop at 3 dozen films which may provide some comments positive or negative
no doubt. I'm sure some of the films listed are not for everyone's taste, and some even
left me wondering what the director was even trying to convey, like " Eraserhead" for example.
I watched it mainly because it was an early film directed by David Lynch who also directed "The Elephant Man"
and "Blue Velvet" and the TV series "Twin Peaks." For me it was nearly impossible to understand, yet I couldn't stop
watching .Incidentally, I can not recommend it to anyone, same goes for some other titles on my list. But it is my list
and each film on the list qualifies for cult status, at least in my view.

Hopefully, others will post their lists. Remember there is no right or wrong, it's your list.

JB

Gummo

A very disturbing film about the after math of the F5 Xenia Ohio Tornado .... This is a fictional film that was shot in Tennessee. Extreme low budget.

Warning: The trailer shows some disturbing images including that of a dead dog.....

JB knows his $chit.

Lots of greats on there that I would definitely label a a cult classic.

I'd like to get you and footballfan1795 in a room with a bong and lets talk some movies. I'll just listen. :ROFLMAO:

JB knows his $chit.

Lots of greats on there that I would definitely label a a cult classic.

I'd like to get you and footballfan1795 in a room with a bong and lets talk some movies. I'll just listen. :ROFLMAO:

irish buffalo,

Well as Tommy Lee Jones said to William Devane in the 1977 cult favorite " Rolling Thunder"
" I'll get my gear " ! (This was the film where Devane comes home from 'Nam, sees his family
slaughtered and has his arm shoved down a garbage disposal by some bad guys. He and Tommy
Lee Jones turn vigilante ) and head down to Mexico heavily armed and seeking revenge.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention Devane sports a Captain Hook type hand after his mishap.
One other note I should mention is " Rolling Thunder" should not be confused with
"The Rolling Thunder Review" the Scorsese film from last summer about the life and times of Bob Dylan.

That movie discussion with you and footballfan1795 could be an interesting experience I'm sure .

JB

Lol. I saw that one time in the theater. Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick with his shades. Didn't the Human Beatbox hot-wire a car with his feet or something?

Edit: I wasted my 3000th post on "The Disorderlies" ?!?!?
Ha.
In full disclosure, that was between our 8th and FROSH years so my friends didnt want to be seen around town to get initiated by the incoming seniors, and that movie happened to be on all the time that summer.

A carload of my buddies and i went to Oakley Drive In to see Texas Chainsaw Massacre one night and we brought along a chainsaw. o_O:cool:

First on screen boobies, not counting the drive in theatre from behind the laundromat, Alice's Restaurant (double featured with Yellow Sub). Now a Thanksgiving tradition.

Quick Programming note for anyone reading this post this afternoon ( Wed. 4/29/20 ) Turner Classic Movies has "The Unholy Three"
which is only talkie Lon Chaney ever made, starts at 12:30 pm. Then at 3:30 pm today the classic film Tod Browning's "Freaks" from 1932 featuring a cast of real circus freaks in a real strange little flick. DVR is set. These two films are not for everyone but have a place in cult film history for those interested.

JB